Catholics: Ash Wednesday Tomorrow

A Faithful Catholic

Guest Knight of Darkness
See if you can make it to Mass. Abstain from eating "beast or foul"

The correct word is fowl, not foul. Perhaps you should spend a little less time studying your Bible and more learning the fundamentals of the English language. ;)

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BC Voice of Reason
Question: "Are Catholic beliefs and practices Biblical?"... ... ... ... .... .... ....

Must give AFC credit he responded and made a lot sense!

Sure, if you believe in fairy tales. Hey, AFC why don't you tell us another fantastical story, how about the one about Jonah getting swallowed by a whale for three days.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
Interesting that I read on here people mocking the RC Church and its rites and traditions yet I have NEVER had one single person say one single thing to me face to face about my ashes on Ash Wednesday.

I guess I haven't seen you, but here's what I think. I think it's dumb and you're dumb for putting ashes on your head and thinking it gets you anywhere. I think the whole thing was dreamed up by a pope who said, "These sheep.. I mean people are so stupid I bet we can get them to spread some crud all over their heads and they'll walk around with it all day long!"

I guess I haven't seen you, but here's what I think. I think it's dumb and you're dumb for putting ashes on your head and thinking it gets you anywhere. I think the whole thing was dreamed up by a pope who said, "These sheep.. I mean people are so stupid I bet we can get them to spread some crud all over their heads and they'll walk around with it all day long!"

Apparently, you didn't read my OP. :blink:

Guest BC Voice of Reason
You are to take scripture literally and spiritually at the same time. :blink:

So you believe someone was swallowed by a whale off the coast of Israel and survived for three whole days?

How did Jonah receive oxygen to sustain life?

How did Jonah not succumb to the noxious digestive acids and fumes of the whale?

How would he sustain his life without any fresh water?

Have you ever heard an account of anyone surviving after being swallowed whole?

Don't give me any BS answer like "God protected him". I want something factual for once.

So you believe someone was swallowed by a whale off the coast of Israel and survived for three whole days?

How did Jonah receive oxygen to sustain life?

How did Jonah not succumb to the noxious digestive acids and fumes of the whale?

How would he sustain his life without any fresh water?

Have you ever heard an account of anyone surviving after being swallowed whole?

Don't give me any BS answer like "God protected him". I want something factual for once.

You are to take scripture literally and spiritually at the same time.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
Apparently, you didn't read my OP. :blink:

I did read it. So what? :blink::blink:

If ye receive the ash thou art a foolish man with a finite brain that can't comprehend science nor reason.

Thou sayeth BC Voice of Reason 12:14 2008 AD

Guest BC Voice of Reason
I can't answer for everything in scripture. It sure doesn't turn God upside down, that's for sure. Ever read the parables? :blink:

For someone who can't answer for everything in scripture you sure do act as the end all be all authority.

To answer your question, I have read the bible cover to cover.

And I'm saying the story of Jonah is a load of crap. The story is not meant to be a parable and you know that. :blink:

For someone who can't answer for everything in scripture you sure do act as the end all be all authority.

The written Word of God is not the end all, be all. The ENTIRE Word of God is.

To answer your question, I have read the bible cover to cover.

Doubt it.

And I'm saying the story of Jonah is a load of crap. The story is not meant to be a parable and you know that. :blink:

People say Jesus never existed. So what ? :blink:

Guest BC Voice of Reason
Doubt it

Okay, fine you think that. And I doubt you have an intelligent thought in your head. I told you I read the bible and that is the truth. Certainly that's a lot more truthful than the story of a man that got swallowed by a whale for three days and then got regurgitated.

"Must be baptized by full immersion - Not in the Bible"

6-BAPTISM IS BY FULL IMMERSION

The Greek word for "baptize" in the New Testament is "baptizo" (bap-tid-zo). This means to make whelmed or to submerge, i.e. "fully wet;" technique of the ordinance of Christian baptism; to immerse or dip under water. Jesus was baptized fully wet. The disciples were baptized fully wet. It is safe to say, if you have not been baptized by full immersion, you have not been baptized by the technique of the ordinance of Christian baptism. In baptism, we are identifying with Christ’s death and resurrection.

Note the words in Ro 6:4-THEREFORE WE ARE BURIED WITH HIM BY BAPTISM INTO DEATH: THAT LIKE AS CHRIST WAS RAISED UP FROM THE DEAD BY THE GLORY OF THE FATHER, EVEN SO WE ALSO SHOULD WALK IN NEWNESS OF LIFE.

Note the words: "BURIED WITH HIM BY BAPTISM," or "BURIED…BY BAPTISM." Most preachers would agree that baptism and water go hand in hand. The word "water" may also be correctly substituted in place of the word "baptism." Note the meaning that comes forth when read this way: "buried…by water." The word "by" indicates the method whereby we identify with Christ. How? - by baptism.

Col 2:12 gives us an almost identical wording. BURIED WITH HIM IN BAPTISM, WHEREIN ALSO YE ARE RISEN WITH HIM THROUGH THE FAITH OF THE OPERATION OF GOD, WHO HATH RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD.

Note the words: "BURIED…IN BAPTISM" or "buried…in water." Biblical baptism is by being "buried" in water. In other words, baptism is by going into the water and being immersed. The word "in" distinguishes the point in time that we are identifying with Christ. When?—in baptism.

Sprinkling baptism is no baptism at all. It is Satan’s counterfeit.

Acts 8:38, 39-AND HE (Philip) COMMANDED THE CHARIOT TO STAND STILL: AND THEY WENT DOWN INTO THE WATER, BOTH PHILIP AND THE EUNUCH; AND HE BAPTIZED HIM. Note, they both went down into the water. There was no pouring water upon the eunuch's head.

Mt 3:5-6-THEN WENT OUT TO HIM JERUSALEM, AND ALL JUDEA,...AND WERE BAPTIZED OF HIM IN JORDAN, CONFESSING THEIR SINS. Note, baptized in the Jordan, not sprinkled from a basin of water.

Jn 3:23-AND JOHN ALSO WAS BAPTIZING IN AENON NEAR TO SALIM, BECAUSE THERE WAS MUCH WATER THERE: AND THEY CAME, AND WERE BAPTIZED. Note, there was MUCH water there. It was not shallow.

Mt 3:16-17-AND JESUS, WHEN HE WAS BAPTIZED, WENT UP STRAIGHTWAY OUT OF THE WATER:...AND LO A VOICE FROM HEAVEN, SAYING, THIS IS MY BELOVED SON, IN WHOM I AM WELL PLEASED. Jesus was baptized in the Jordan and came up out of the water. Have you likewise obeyed God by submitting to the ordinance of baptism? Is God well pleased with you?

Every time water baptism was done in the New Testament, it was done by immersion. There is no other biblical way.

Ash Wednesday to me has always been a day when the "fake Catholics" go to church early so they can walk around all day sporting their ashes to proclaim they are Catholic. The next day they go right back to treating people like crap and forgetting to follow their religion.

Guest A Reasonable Atheist
Ash Wednesday to me has always been a day when the "fake Catholics" go to church early so they can walk around all day sporting their ashes to proclaim they are Catholic. The next day they go right back to treating people like crap and forgetting to follow their religion.

See, that may be true, but by your explanation of fake catholics, I can't differentiate them from real catholics. Does it just have to do with who gives more money to a corrupt institution?

"Must be baptized by full immersion - Not in the Bible"

6-BAPTISM IS BY FULL IMMERSION

Funny, the early church never believed in full immersion ONLY. Let's see what the Didache (The Lord's Teaching Through the Twelve Apostles to the Nations.) states:

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism. And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have no living water, baptize into other water; and if you cannot do so in cold water, do so in warm. But if you have neither, pour out water three times upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whoever else can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text...he-roberts.html

Besides all this, by the Lord's will, he gave the Catholic Church the Authority to "Bind and Loose." The Church, from the beginning, never believed in the bible alone because it never had the COMPLETE bible until the 4th century!

You protestants always get things wrong. If your ideas/notions, as well as what you practice, where never taught nor believed in those days, they cannot be correct. It is just a new spin, especially when you do not have the "binding and loosing" power as the CC has, from Christ Himself.

Satanic? BALONEY. The Apostles never taught anything satanic. The Didache proves what they taught. Read it. :blink:

Tell you what. Come on over to my house and I will smear crap on your forehead and let you wear it all day. Plus I won't even molest your kids. Better than any church in town.

Do you make pierogies too?

You protestants always get things wrong.

"protestants", whoever they might be, might indeed get everything wrong.

"Protestants", by contrast cannot get everything wrong as they only share some beliefs in common with the Catholic Church.

Only your failure to capitalize 'Protestant' saved your sweeping statement.

Still, you do seem to have relaxed your unbridled contempt enough to rise above calling them 'prots' this time. Or is that token of respect another mistake for which you'll have to do Penance?

If your ideas/notions, as well as what you practice, where never taught nor believed in those days, they cannot be correct.

Outside of Scripture we all (yourself included) have "ideas/notions, as well as what we practice, that were never taught nor believed in those days". Therefore can anything we do and think today that was not anticipated by Scripture/Church Tradition be correct?

Satanic? BALONEY. The Apostles never taught anything satanic.

Are you replying to someone's statement here? I don't see that word used elsewhere here.

Archived