Catholics: Ash Wednesday Tomorrow

A Faithful Catholic

I always like it, because it means you can get a fish sandwich at Arby's for a month! No disrespect AFC, glad you're back. I don't understand any of your posts... but I like reading them!

All you havce to know about his posts is that he is always right - everyone else is always wrong and if you disagree with him you will go to hell.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hahahahaha!!!!!! The Lord Himself is very strict. It is very hard to get into heaven.

while only God knows - I would bet real money on the fact that you will never see heaven

Interesting that I read on here people mocking the RC Church and its rites and traditions yet I have NEVER had one single person say one single thing to me face to face about my ashes on Ash Wednesday.

They are embrarrsed for you

or

they respect your right to practice your religion the way you wish - unlike catholics, who say that if you do not believe in the same fantasies they do, well then you will go to hell. pope says so himself.

Sure, if you believe in fairy tales. Hey, AFC why don't you tell us another fantastical story, how about the one about Jonah getting swallowed by a whale for three days.

Is the earth flat?

is the universe only 6000 years old?

are dinasur fossils the work of the devil to try and get us to not believe in God?

Do you believe in talking snakes?

"protestants", whoever they might be, might indeed get everything wrong.

"Protestants", by contrast cannot get everything wrong as they only share some beliefs in common with the Catholic Church.

Only your failure to capitalize 'Protestant' saved your sweeping statement.

The Protestants WHOLE foundation, SOLA SCRIPTURA and Private interpretation, were never practiced in the Early Church. How do we know? Because the CC never did. They cannot agree amongst themselves what anything means. The only things they can agree on are that the CC is wrong and Jesus Christ was some type of Saviour. Protestants might have somethings in common with the CC, but they are the ones that left it. At least their founders did.

The Protestants are wrong in MANY areas in what the Church did in the early days.

Still, you do seem to have relaxed your unbridled contempt enough to rise above calling them 'prots' this time. Or is that token of respect another mistake for which you'll have to do Penance?

Read about the rulings of the Council of Trent. I'm tame. Prots is shorthand.

Outside of Scripture we all (yourself included) have "ideas/notions, as well as what we practice, that were never taught nor believed in those days". Therefore can anything we do and think today that was not anticipated by Scripture/Church Tradition be correct?

Yes. The CC has the Authority to bind and loose as exercises it, per Christ's will. The foundations of the Catholic Faith, the Seven Sacraments, and the Mass do indeed come from Scripture AND Church Tradition. BOTH. Every major DOGMA and DOCTRINE has it's roots in those two areas as well. This certainly includes pro-life and moral issues. SOLA SCRIPTURA and Private interpretation are nowhere to be found.

Are you replying to someone's statement here? I don't see that word used elsewhere here.

Yep. Post #42

Sprinkling baptism is no baptism at all. It is Satan’s counterfeit.
That is a ridiculous, uneducated statement. The Apostles were spokesmen for Christ...."Those who hear you, hear Me and those who reject you, reject Me and the One who sent Me" and they practiced sprinkling and the CC hasn't stopped since. :blink:

Tell you what. Come on over to my house and I will smear crap on your forehead and let you wear it all day. Plus I won't even molest your kids. Better than any church in town.

Your a DELETED....I feel sorry for you. You have some deep down anger that you need to let go of.

Your a DELETED....I feel sorry for you. You have some deep down anger that you need to let go of.

I don't think he is that angry, although maybe he has a right to like me, as I was molested and an alter boy. no need to feel sorry for him. People like him and I simply feel that you folks believe in fantasies and go through menaingless rituals in order to solidify your fantasies to yourselves - and reinforce those fantasies in a way that prepetuates your belief in them.

ps - despite your religions beliefs that if all the rest of us do not believe in the same fantasies you do that we will all go to hell - it aimply aint so. In fact. If I were a betting man, I would be the opposite.

I always liked watching Billy Graham. The following is from the Billy Graham Evangilistic Association:

How to Become a Christian

The central theme of the Bible is God's love for you and for all people. This love was revealed when Jesus Christ, the Son of God, came into the world as a human being, lived a sinless life, died on the cross, and rose from the dead. Because Christ died, your sins can be forgiven, and because He conquered death you can have eternal life. You can know for sure what will become of you after you die.

You have probably heard the story of God's love referred to as the "Gospel." The word Gospel simply means "Good News." The Gospel is the Good News that, because of what Christ has done, we can be forgiven and can live forever.

But this gift of forgiveness and eternal life cannot be yours unless you willingly accept it. God requires an individual response from you. The following verses from the Bible show God's part and yours in this process:

God's Love Is Revealed in the Bible

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." —John 3:16 (NIV)

God loves you. He wants to bless your life and make it full and complete. And He wants to give you a life which will last forever, even after you experience physical death.

We Are Sinful

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." —Romans 3:23 (NIV)

You may have heard someone say, "I'm only human—nobody's perfect." This Bible verse says the same thing: We are all sinners. We all do things that we know are wrong. And that's why we feel estranged from God—because God is holy and good, and we are not.

Sin Has a Penalty

"For the wages of sin is death." —Romans 6:23 (NIV)

Just as criminals must pay the penalty for their crimes, sinners must pay the penalty for their sins. If you continue to sin, you will pay the penalty of spiritual death: You will not only die physically; you will also be separated from our holy God for all eternity. The Bible teaches that those who choose to remain separated from God will spend eternity in a place called hell.

Christ Has Paid Our Penalty!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." —Romans 5:8 (NIV)

The Bible teaches that Jesus Christ, the sinless Son of God, has paid the penalty for all your sins. You may think you have to lead a good life and do good deeds before God will love you. But the Bible says that Christ loved you enough to die for you, even when you were rebelling against Him.

Salvation Is a Free Gift

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast." —Ephesians 2:8-9 (NIV)

The word grace means "undeserved favor." It means God is offering you something you could never provide for yourself: forgiveness of sins and eternal life, God's gift to you is free. You do not have to work for a gift. All you have to do is joyfully receive it, Believe with all your heart that Jesus Christ died for you!

Christ Is at Your Heart's Door

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me." —Revelation 3:20 (NIV)

Jesus Christ wants to have a personal relationship with you. Picture, if you will, Jesus Christ standing at the door of your heart (the door of your emotions, intellect and will). Invite Him in; He is waiting for you to receive Him into your heart and life.

You Must Receive Him

"Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." —John 1:12 (NIV)

When you receive Christ into your heart you become a child of God, and have the privilege of talking to Him in prayer at any time about anything. The Christian life is a personal relationship to God through Jesus Christ. And best of all, it is a relationship that will last for all eternity.

If you are making this commitment to Christ today, please let us know. We would like to send you Bible study materials to help you grow in your faith.

I think if you take a step back and really look at what A Faithful Catholic says you will have to admit that he knows exactly what he believes in and is proficient enough to put it all in writing for all to see.

It looks to me that most of you who attack him do so because you cannot accept the correct statements he makes. Many attack him personally, probably out of the frustration of seeing their beliefs logically and historically picked apart and discarded.

While it's only human nature to strike back, it's too bad that it must be that way.

I always liked watching Billy Graham. The following is from the Billy Graham Evangilistic Association:

How to Become a Christian

Not one time was there mentioned ANY on the Holy Sacraments, especially the Most Glorious Eucharist. Not one time. The Mass wasn't even mentioned, even though Jesus said the FIRST Mass at the Last Supper and instructed the Apostles to "Do this in Memory of Me."Nothing was said about the Holy Priesthood Jesus started on the Apostles at the Last Supper as well. Nor was there anything mentioned on what the Apostles did.

You quoted the written Word of God, not the ENTIRE Word of God the Catholic Church uses. Much is MISSING from your posting to being a TRUE Christian. :blink:

I think if you take a step back and really look at what A Faithful Catholic says you will have to admit that he knows exactly what he believes in and is proficient enough to put it all in writing for all to see.

It looks to me that most of you who attack him do so because you cannot accept the correct statements he makes. Many attack him personally, probably out of the frustration of seeing their beliefs logically and historically picked apart and discarded.

While it's only human nature to strike back, it's too bad that it must be that way.

What? Like these chicken bones?

mcbobe2.jpg

Thanks for your compliments. :D

I am a Catholic and I really take offense to the comments about the ashes. It is part of our religion and you are a real DELETED to say what you did. I also agree with the Faithful Catholic and knows his stuff. Betcha ya can't say half as much about your religion, you probably don't have one.

The Protestants WHOLE foundation, SOLA SCRIPTURA and Private interpretation, were never practiced in the Early Church. How do we know? Because the CC never did.

What sense do you make when it is clear that Sola Scriptura's entire content derives exclusively from original teachings? All it omits are optional extras the Catholic Church grafted on to suit itself.

They cannot agree amongst themselves what anything means. The only things they can agree on are that the CC is wrong and Jesus Christ was some type of Saviour.

Again you exaggerate unconscionably. When you raised this issue earlier I addressed it on Jan 3. I refresh your memory with this extract:

I can't vouch for your figures, but regardless there are too many. Ideally I would be happier if there were only one Protestant Church.

Especially when in the case of a few I got to know a bit about, they were so similar that separate names don't even seem warranted. Teachings are the same. Terminology is the same. It virtually comes down to a case of the collection plate being passed around after hymn #3 in one Denomination and hymn #4 in the other. So-called 'differences' are almost that trivial.

I think that in that sense Protestant Churches do themselves no favors, creating an illusion of fragmentation that scarcely exists among their mainstream.

Protestants might have somethings in common with the CC, but they are the ones that left it. At least their founders did.

The Protestants are wrong in MANY areas in what the Church did in the early days.

"Wrong" is not a word I would use. It is a word you obviously relish. However you yourself now seem to be retreating somewhat here from your earlier edict:

"You protestants always get things wrong".

Read about the rulings of the Council of Trent. I'm tame. Prots is shorthand.

It should be easy for anyone to rise above the excesses of your exalted "Council of Trent". If you insist on endorsing their contempt then I could just as easily invoke some very derogatory names applied to the Catholic Church by Protestant founders. You'll notice I have consistently refused to stoop that low. Again I urge you to return that courtesy. "prots" as used by you is not the so-called "shorthand" you claim. Not when it recurs in sentences that have their many other terms unabbreviated with all capitals duly in place. "Protestants" will do just fine, thank you.

Yes. The CC has the Authority to bind and loose as exercises it, per Christ's will. The foundations of the Catholic Faith, the Seven Sacraments, and the Mass do indeed come from Scripture AND Church Tradition. BOTH. Every major DOGMA and DOCTRINE has it's roots in those two areas as well.

And those non-Scriptural "Church Traditions" etc provide the Church with the blank check it needs for Clergy of the day to cling tenaciously to ignorance in denial of real-world facts as they unfold. The Galileo persecution was just one of many examples.

I'm Protestant and received my ashes today. It is a sacred part of the religion and it is really offensive to hear the comments that people make about it. People at work today were mocking those with ashes. I don't force my religion on anyone - aside from defending my beliefs from AFC. It would be nice if the non-believers would keep to themselves as well.

What sense do you make when it is clear that Sola Scriptura's entire content derives exclusively from original teachings? All it omits are optional extras the Catholic Church grafted on to suit itself.

BALONEY. It omits everything the Apostles did and started in word and deed outside of scripture.

Again you exaggerate unconscionably. When you raised this issue earlier I addressed it on Jan 3. I refresh your memory with this extract:

The teachings ARE NOT the same amongst prots. that is a total lie. Some believe in abortion, others not. Some believe in homosexual acts, others do not. Some believe in a liturgy, others do not. It goes on and on..........

"Wrong" is not a word I would use. It is a word you obviously relish. However you yourself now seem to be retreating somewhat here from your earlier edict: "You protestants always get things wrong".

The only thing prots agree on is the CC is wrong and Jesus was some type of Saviour.

It should be easy for anyone to rise above the excesses of your exalted "Council of Trent". If you insist on endorsing their contempt then I could just as easily invoke some very derogatory names applied to the Catholic Church by Protestant founders. You'll notice I have consistently refused to stoop that low. Again I urge you to return that courtesy. "prots" as used by you is not the so-called "shorthand" you claim. Not when it recurs in sentences that have their many other terms unabbreviated with all capitals duly in place. "Protestants" will do just fine, thank you.

The Council of Trent is just as valid as any other council. It's teachings are true and correct.

And those non-Scriptural "Church Traditions" etc provide the Church with the blank check it needs for Clergy of the day to cling tenaciously to ignorance in denial of real-world facts as they unfold. The Galileo persecution was just one of many examples.

The "blank check" Jesus, by His own will, gave the CC was the power to "bind and loose" and it exercises it. The CC DID NOT come from the bible. You have yet to grasp this.

Jon you are starting to show your ignorance. The bible did not come about until the 4th century. All you had to spread the Faith is by word of mouth and deed of the Apostles. Therefore Sola Scriptura as the sole basis of Faith is WRONG. It ignores EVERYTHING the Apostles did in terms of word and deed outside of scripture.

The Galileo persecution was not a dogma or a teaching of the Faith. I certainly can't find it in the Catechism. :blink: Jon you need to pay attention more.

I'm Protestant and received my ashes today. It is a sacred part of the religion and it is really offensive to hear the comments that people make about it. People at work today were mocking those with ashes. I don't force my religion on anyone - aside from defending my beliefs from AFC. It would be nice if the non-believers would keep to themselves as well.

Many protestants are returning to ancient Christian Traditions. That's a good thing.

I am a Catholic and I really take offense to the comments about the ashes. It is part of our religion and you are a real DELETED to say what you did. I also agree with the Faithful Catholic and knows his stuff. Betcha ya can't say half as much about your religion, you probably don't have one.

Yeah you're right, I can think for myself, thank you... I don't need to join a cult and be brainwashed. Jim Jones had a religion too... Keep drinking that Kool-Aid! Oooooh Yeeeahhhh!!

Many protestants are returning to ancient Christian Traditions. That's a good thing.

Riding Dinosaurs, believing that the Earth is flat, and trading their cars in for horse and buggy. Sounds like progress!

he repeats fantasies stated in a book and then insists he is right - because the fantasies are printed in the book

whoopee

It is also a part of your religion to ridcule people who do not believe in the same things as you do. In fact, the pope has stated that people who do not believe the same things Catholics believe in will not go to heaven. How do you feel about that/ make you proud?

I think it would be nice if the believers kept thier beliefs to themselves and not try and shove their religion down my thraot by changing our constitution and teaching their fantasies to kids in our schools or threatening that we will all go to hell if we do not believe in the same fantasies that they believe in.

It is also a part of your religion to ridcule people who do not believe in the same things as you do. In fact, the pope has stated that people who do not believe the same things Catholics believe in will not go to heaven. How do you feel about that/ make you proud?

The Pope HAS NEVER said anyone will not go to heaven. That is a lie that I have called you out on many times and you STILL have failed to provide any proof. I'm proud to be a Catholic and yes it is the TRUE CHURCH of Christ and not some sort of latter day off shoot founded on someone's prideful innovations. :blink:

I think it would be nice if the believers kept thier beliefs to themselves and not try and shove their religion down my thraot by changing our constitution and teaching their fantasies to kids in our schools or threatening that we will all go to hell if we do not believe in the same fantasies that they believe in.

The founders of this country were CHRISTIANS and this is a PREDOMINANTLY CHRISTIAN nation.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
The founders of this country were CHRISTIANS and this is a PREDOMINANTLY CHRISTIAN nation.

They were also PREDOMINANTLY NOT CATHOLIC. I guess that means all but three are in hell, huh?

Religious Affiliation of U.S. Founding Father

Episcopalian/Anglican 88

Presbyterian 30

Congregationalist 27

Quaker 7

Dutch/German Reformed 6

Lutheran 5

Catholic 3

Huguenot 3

Unitarian 3

Methodist 2

Calvinist 1

Certainly by your strict standards you couldn't call the Episcopalians part of the one true church.

Source: http://www.adherents.com/gov/Founding_Fathers_Religion.html

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine - The Age of Reason 1794

Archived