BHS Back to Back

Guest Old School

Guest Old School

Congratulations to all the Patriots and the coaches for the repeat championships. It's not easy to repeat, but the coaching staff kept the boys focused all season. The differences between last year's champs and this year's champs are too many to mention. A few things remained constant; tough man defense, unselfish guard play, and exceptional transition offense. Also congratulations to a tough Vestal team that successfully controlled the tempo. They competed for 32 minutes, but acted with class and dignity after the final buzzer. The officiating, for the most part, was invisible and non-controversial, as it should be. VHS should be very competitive next year. This year Coach Springer and his seniors should be proud of their performances. Every game the Pats played they went up against the oppositions' A game. Congrats Patriots!!!

Congratulations BHS! 2 STAC Championships and 2 Sectional titles 2years in a row is quite an accomplishment! I agree that the Vestal team played with class as did the Oneonta team the week before. The difference in their level of play and the way that Seton plays is considerably different. It shows you can love the game and play fairly as oppossed to playing underhandedly dirty as some of their players!

Guest Patriot 12
Congratulations BHS! 2 STAC Championships and 2 Sectional titles 2years in a row is quite an accomplishment! I agree that the Vestal team played with class as did the Oneonta team the week before. The difference in their level of play and the way that Seton plays is considerably different. It shows you can love the game and play fairly as oppossed to playing underhandedly dirty as some of their players!
It's been quite a few years since BHS got back to where they belong, at the top. Teams playing football, basketball, and baseball should look to Coach Springer's program. Develop the kids willing to play together, and let the selfish "great athletes" play CYO (even though they have never been to church). Springer may come off as a drill sargeant, but the players entering his program know where he stands. Play the game as a team player, or do it someplace else. He's willing to play with 3 guards, a short,skinny power forward, and a very good tight end playing an undersized post. But that group won STAC and AA sectionals for the second year in a row. Somebody has done an exceptional job, two years running, and they have some hardware to prove it. Good Coaching, combined with unselfish players results in championships.

Guest Guest

Yes Congratulations BHS. You earned the 2 Titles and you started earning them last summer in summer league. You played with class, something some of the other teams could learn from.Springer has done a great job as coach over the years with little or no fanfare but definately results. Compliments to last years STAC/Sectional Champs as well, including Johnson,Garcia, Jean,Cody, and Griffin who along with Dougherty,Hobson,Cartwright and Papso set the stage for this year..

Guest guest
It's been quite a few years since BHS got back to where they belong, at the top. Teams playing football, basketball, and baseball should look to Coach Springer's program. Develop the kids willing to play together, and let the selfish "great athletes" play CYO (even though they have never been to church). Springer may come off as a drill sargeant, but the players entering his program know where he stands. Play the game as a team player, or do it someplace else. He's willing to play with 3 guards, a short,skinny power forward, and a very good tight end playing an undersized post. But that group won STAC and AA sectionals for the second year in a row. Somebody has done an exceptional job, two years running, and they have some hardware to prove it. Good Coaching, combined with unselfish players results in championships.
Don't even go there, Some CYO players have the talent,drive and discipline to play school ball.They were not given a chance to prove themselves because of very selective recruiting by coaches.

Guest Guest
Don't even go there, Some CYO players have the talent,drive and discipline to play school ball.They were not given a chance to prove themselves because of very selective recruiting by coaches.

That is an interesting accusation. Why in the world would a HS coach not want to 'recruit' a talented driven and disciplined player? There would have to be a reason....academic eligibility (as defined by the coach), attitude, unwillingness to operate in the locker room, in practice and during games as part of a team and not as a street ball, run and gun style player?

You have to realize that coaches DO want to win as many games as possible....but sometimes it isn't the very best player (raw talent) who a coach believes will bring what is needed to the team.

I've seen it locally - the highly talented player who believes he is above the rules and playing style of the team...it brings dissention and strife to a team and the negatives outweigh the positives.

What other reasons were you thinking of?

Guest guest
That is an interesting accusation. Why in the world would a HS coach not want to 'recruit' a talented driven and disciplined player? There would have to be a reason....academic eligibility (as defined by the coach), attitude, unwillingness to operate in the locker room, in practice and during games as part of a team and not as a street ball, run and gun style player?

You have to realize that coaches DO want to win as many games as possible....but sometimes it isn't the very best player (raw talent) who a coach believes will bring what is needed to the team.

I've seen it locally - the highly talented player who believes he is above the rules and playing style of the team...it brings dissention and strife to a team and the negatives outweigh the positives.

What other reasons were you thinking of?

There are players out there that are uncoachable, I agree My point is that there are players out there that are that are very coachable with talent. I think coaches need to broaden their search and not feel comfortable with just 5/6 players who can play. In the case of BHS I think Springer is doing a fine job but why be satisfied with winning the STAC or Sectionals I believe Binghamton has the talent in the school to compete at a higher level and beat teams like Henninger and Newburgh. Bhs hasn't beaten a true quality team in 4/5 years I would like to see them step up to a higer level and I think they can

Guest Guest
There are players out there that are uncoachable, I agree My point is that there are players out there that are that are very coachable with talent. I think coaches need to broaden their search and not feel comfortable with just 5/6 players who can play. In the case of BHS I think Springer is doing a fine job but why be satisfied with winning the STAC or Sectionals I believe Binghamton has the talent in the school to compete at a higher level and beat teams like Henninger and Newburgh. Bhs hasn't beaten a true quality team in 4/5 years I would like to see them step up to a higer level and I think they can

Well this year unless you had a 7'1 player to match that of Henninger's any team would be at a loss. Exclude him and we were pretty comparable. I for one think that the Binghamton the last 2 years have done a fine job in stepping up to the plate and winning 2 STAC/Sectional titles. You are making very simple assumptions to what is a much more complicated issue. I am sure that Coach Springer is always trying to broaden his search in selecting his team every year.

Guest Patriot 12

Anybody heard where, when, or whom the opposition would be in the quarterfinals? I got on the NYPHSAA website after the Sec. IV AA finals and saw a bracket with the Sec. IV champ playing the Sec. I champ @ Stony Brook. Then today I heard BHS would be playing a yet to be determined opponent @ SUNY Cortland on 3/8, after the CV game. BHS might have a chance if they don't have to play a NYC (or close enough to)team on their home court, like last year.

Guest Guest

BHS will play the winner of the Section 1&9 playoff...both sections are downstate. Once again.

BHS will play Mt. Vernon on Saturday 3-8-08 (unsure of the time)@ SUNY Cortland. Mt. Vernon beat Minisink Valley tonight 75-35. Good luck Patriots!

Archived