City Council to address salary issue

Guest Trump

Guest Trump

It seems Binghamton City Council will address a salary issue at tonights meeting. Could this possibly be Jack Sheehan's legislation request? Although I agree with Sheehan, I can't believe council would have signed Sheehan's request out of committee.

Guest Trump
They'll probably announce a salary increase.

It wouldn't surprise me if they tried.. However, I think the only salary increase they would be able to give is to the next council (2012). Hopefully someone on council is aware of this.

The Ordinance is a variation on Sheehan's idea. Briefly, it provides that -- if a Council Member misses a business meeting -- he or she will "donate" 25% of that month's salary to the City's General Fund.

I don't think this is in the best interest of good government for our City. By the time it gets to the business meeting, it's already pretty much "cut and dried". How many 4-3 or 3-3 votes are we seeing from Council these days? So, a council member's absence at one meeting really doesn't make a big difference, does it?

For all the work that they do in worksessions, going to other related meetings, contact with City departments, talking with constituents, phone calls, e-mails, etc. attending business meetings is maybe 1/6th of their responsibility.

I would much rather see Council members' salaries raised to $9,000 or 9,500 and see them work harder at being "checks" rather than "balances" to some of the 4th floor's less than grand plans.

Guest Guest
The Ordinance is a variation on Sheehan's idea. Briefly, it provides that -- if a Council Member misses a business meeting -- he or she will "donate" 25% of that month's salary to the City's General Fund.

I don't think this is in the best interest of good government for our City. By the time it gets to the business meeting, it's already pretty much "cut and dried". How many 4-3 or 3-3 votes are we seeing from Council these days? So, a council member's absence at one meeting really doesn't make a big difference, does it?

For all the work that they do in worksessions, going to other related meetings, contact with City departments, talking with constituents, phone calls, e-mails, etc. attending business meetings is maybe 1/6th of their responsibility.

What would you consider a valid reason for missing a council meeting?

Guest Guest
It seems Binghamton City Council will address a salary issue at tonights meeting. Could this possibly be Jack Sheehan's legislation request? Although I agree with Sheehan, I can't believe council would have signed Sheehan's request out of committee.

i've got to tell ya, terri rennia is one ugly biotch. she is dispicable. how could someone come to a public meeting looking like she did tonight? she looks like she just got out of bedl. and then gay weslar talks. .

i've got to tell ya, terri rennia is one ugly biotch. she is dispicable. how could someone come to a public meeting looking like she did tonight? she looks like she just got out of bedl. and then gay weslar talks. .

And you are one ugly, cruel, human being for being such a cyber bully. :angry:

Guest Guest
And you are one ugly, cruel, human being for being such a cyber bully. :angry:

I would like to stick you in the eye! You sound as if you maybe part of the Cities administration. You keep trying to protect these idiots who are steering the sinking ship The :o TITANIC-2nd.

Guest Guest

If you ask me they should get no more than 5 k!!! look at the shape of this city and they think they deserve more?

Especially since Ryan has his cronies in there there has been NO progress since hes taken office.

Well unless you want to call praising the gays and raising their flag progress.

What would you consider a valid reason for missing a council meeting?

Same reasons any employee might validly be absent from work: illness/hospitalization, serious illness/hospitalization of an immediate family member, accident/personal catastrophe, death in the family, and I would even consider once/year due to being away on family vacation (most employers allow for paid vacations, don't they?). I would also consider it valid if the Council Member was out-of-town on City business (such as an educational or training program, fact-finding meeting, or product/process demonstration related to their duties or committee responsibilities). Given that Council duties are a "part time" 2nd job for most, unavoidable scheduling conflict with "day job" (such as out-of-town business travel) would also be valid in my opinion as long as it doesn't become chronic.

In the business world, employees get around 9% to 13-1/2% paid time off (in other words, out of 261 potential work days per 365 day year [based on a 5-day work-week], there are bound to be 24-35 paid days off for holidays, sick days, personal days, vacation days, etc.). So, I don't think it would be unreasonable for a Council Member to miss 3 business meetings over the course of a year.

Guest Trump
Double their salary under the condition they never show up for another meeting or cast another vote.

Hahaha. That's pretty good.

In all honesty, the current council is fine when it comes to attendance; my compliments stop there..

It was the Republican council of the 1990's that had a problem showing up. That council was notorious for having 30-minute work sessions, and committee meetings 2 minutes before live televised council meetings. Dorinda Noll was probably the worst. Although I agree with Dorinda philosophically more than I agree with the current council.

Archived