kayaking

Tony

I know there's time but I'm thinking about doing some kayaking this summer and I was wondering if anyone knew if you had to do anything with classes or training. I did some kayaking back in high school and enjoyed it but I don't wanna get out in the water and get in trouble for something. Does anyone know a good place to rent or buy too?

Guest BC Voice of Reason
I know there's time but I'm thinking about doing some kayaking this summer and I was wondering if anyone knew if you had to do anything with classes or training. I did some kayaking back in high school and enjoyed it but I don't wanna get out in the water and get in trouble for something. Does anyone know a good place to rent or buy too?

Unless you plan on whitewater kayaking, I wouldn't think you would need lessons unless you're real uneasy about it. Just be smart about it. I bought one a few years ago and threw it in at Chenango State Park to get my feet wet, so to speak. Once I felt I did okay with that, I took it out to Whitney Point reservoir. One time a friend and I sneaked into Cannonsville reservoir and kayaked all day. That was a lot of fun, it's really beautiful out there. It was before 9/11 so security wasn't as strict as it is today.

I bought mine from a friend who needed some cash, so I can't recommend anywhere to purchase one, but there are a couple of shops that have cropped up in recent years. One in Vestal on the parkway, and I believe there's one on 434 in Apalachin as well. Unfortunately, the Eastern Mountain Sports store in the mall closed, I used to buy most my accessories there.

there's a place just north of whitney point on rt 11. i think it's called light house landing or something and the guy rents and sells kayaks. i heard that he'll even drive/pickup for a fee of course. seems this would be a good choice for free advice before a purchase. also power and paddle in candor (rt 96) good luck

Guest Guest
Gander Mountain has a nice selection
This is where i got mine and use it on the river every weekend, in the summer, good clean fun!!!

Archived