"Binghamton" has economic growth

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Binghamton area contributes to New York's economic growth in 2007

By My-Ly Nguyen

Press & Sun-Bulletin

Last year, New York experienced its strongest private-sector job growth since 2000, with the Binghamton area contributing to that economic expansion.

The Binghamton area's annual average private sector job count grew by 900 jobs, or 1 percent, between 2006 and 2007, according to data released Thursday by the state Labor Department.

New York's private sector grew at an annual average rate of 1.4 percent during the period, marking the state's strongest year of growth since 2000.

In January, the Binghamton area had 88,400 private jobs, up 300 jobs or 0.3 percent compared to the same time last year.

Local manufacturing jobs totaled 17,900 in January, a decrease of 200 jobs or 1.1 percent compared to the same time a year ago.

"We are seeing a slowing of (private-sector) growth," said Christian Harris, senior economist at the state Labor Department in Union. "Manufacturing is fairly close to year-ago levels. The gains aren't found there ... but they are fairly widespread through other sectors of the economy, such as construction, professional and business services, and leisure and hospitality."

Those other sectors of the economy are experiencing the ripple effect of projects being completed in manufacturing, Harris said.

Still, more area residents collected unemployment insurance benefits in mid-January, compared to the previous month.

Harris said that in mid-January, 2,638 Broome and Tioga county residents collected the benefits, an increase of 555 or 26.6 percent from December and a decrease of 27 or 1 percent from the same time last year.

He said the over-the-month increase remains in line with prior year trends as seasonal industries such as construction and those associated with accommodation and food services remain dormant during the winter months.

The region's unemployment rate was 5.6 percent in January, up from 5.3 percent the same time last year.

STORYCHAT Post a Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, let's be clear, for the purposes of these statistics we are talking about the BINGHAMTON METROPOLITAN AREA (BMA), this strange amalgamation includes all of Broome and some of Tioga Counties including Owego.

It should be called the Southern Tier or something else other than Binghamton to avoid the confusion.

Guest Guest

Yup. The median family income here is half the national average. Per capita income is even lower and homes sell for about one fifth of what they would fetch anywhere else.. Booming I'd say.

Guest Guest
Yup. The median family income here is half the national average. Per capita income is even lower and homes sell for about one fifth of what they would fetch anywhere else.. Booming I'd say.

that's not true.

Guest Maxwell Smart

Why please tell me, are most of the people still drinking the "cool aid" ? Just give the facts, please. The economy is bad, has been bad and will be bad for some time to come.

Guest Guest
Why please tell me, are most of the people still drinking the "cool aid" ? Just give the facts, please. The economy is bad, has been bad and will be bad for some time to come.

They temper the bad news in the City of Binghamton by dampenig it down with better news from the contrived Binghamotn Metroplitan Area which has 250,000 people instead of45,000

Archived