Price of coal

143rd PA

Does anyone know if the price of coal has gone up dramaticly like other heating fuels? I have a wood/coal frunace that I haven't used in several years and was contemplating using coal to heat with next winter. I used to buy coal from Rounds in Vestal but they are gone now. Where else in the triple cities can I buy coal?

Guest guest

I've been heating my home with coal for the last 8 years. when I started it was 140./ ton. This year it's 200./ton, so yes it has gone up, mainly because of high fuel prices. (like everything else). Still, I only go through 2-3 tons a winter to heat my entire house (2500 sq/ft) and it is toasty warm all winter. Thats $400. - $600. for the entire winter...what are you paying now? Mine is a stoker type stove that burns rice coal. I get mine (delivered) from Hollenbeck's in Catatonk (near Owego). Your wood/coal combo would need the bigger lump coal...not sure where to get that anymore. Do yourself a favor and get a stoker stove. I'll never go back to wood, even though I own plenty of my own woods. You'll never have a chimney fire with coal....think about that. You don't even need a chimney if you don't have one, they can be vented through an outside wall. Mine is an Alaska Stoker Stove, the 75,000 BTU model. Warner Stoves make good ones also, there are others. Wood pellet stoves are similar. Wood pellets are around 200./ton also. I happen to prefer coal, it's always available, never goes bad, burns wet or dry, and the ashes are great for the driveway when it's snowy/icy.

As for lump coal, Rounds is now located in Greene...give them a call. They might still carry lump coal, or know who does.

Hope this helps. ;)

Guest Guest

Warners in Candor sells Rice, Buck, Pea, Nut and Stove size coal. Your unit is obviously a hand fired unit that would probably burn best with Nut and Pea size. People mix the two and call it Range coal. I too have a Stoker stove. Fill it and forget about it. Great heat cheap fuel. I burn 4 ton.

I've been heating my home with coal for the last 8 years. when I started it was 140./ ton. This year it's 200./ton, so yes it has gone up, mainly because of high fuel prices. (like everything else). Still, I only go through 2-3 tons a winter to heat my entire house (2500 sq/ft) and it is toasty warm all winter. Thats $400. - $600. for the entire winter...what are you paying now? Mine is a stoker type stove that burns rice coal. I get mine (delivered) from Hollenbeck's in Catatonk (near Owego). Your wood/coal combo would need the bigger lump coal...not sure where to get that anymore. Do yourself a favor and get a stoker stove. I'll never go back to wood, even though I own plenty of my own woods. You'll never have a chimney fire with coal....think about that. You don't even need a chimney if you don't have one, they can be vented through an outside wall. Mine is an Alaska Stoker Stove, the 75,000 BTU model. Warner Stoves make good ones also, there are others. Wood pellet stoves are similar. Wood pellets are around 200./ton also. I happen to prefer coal, it's always available, never goes bad, burns wet or dry, and the ashes are great for the driveway when it's snowy/icy.

As for lump coal, Rounds is now located in Greene...give them a call. They might still carry lump coal, or know who does.

Hope this helps. ;)

I'm spending $1200-1500 a year for propane. I think I'll try some stove coal and see how that burns. Maybea stoker stove is in my future. Thank you for your advice.

Guest Guest
I'm spending $1200-1500 a year for propane. I think I'll try some stove coal and see how that burns. Maybea stoker stove is in my future. Thank you for your advice.

My husband goes to PA twice a year to get coal. I think is Rice coal. I think the name of the place is Agel Coal. Not sure what the price is , but I know we are always warm and it is a lot cheaper than propane which is what we switched from. A little more work that just turning up the thermostat. Especially when you unload it by yourself. But he has built a coal bin in a separate room in the basement and has a pretty good set up. We burn it all year round, as we heat our water with it also.

Guest Guest

I've been buring coal for about 23 years and the price has gone up each year.. If I remember right I think I was paying around $ 65.00 a ton when I started... the last load I got this November was around $ 220.00 a ton for chestnut. You have to be careful with who you get your coal from. I had a couple of years where I got some lousy coal that didn't burn all that great. I've bought my coal from Warners in Candor for the last several years and it burns great..

Burnin' coal is dirty and dusty but it's still easier than messin' around with wood and the heat from coal is awesome.

Archived