underage busts?

Guest phil

Manley's and other establishments got in trouble for the sting of under age serving-using local kids that got busted. Why don't they use our tax payer money to catch drug dealers, rapists, etc.. Catching kids trying to get beer at 16 or 17 is easy. Fight the real crime in the area.

Guest Guest
Manley's and other establishments got in trouble for the sting of under age serving-using local kids that got busted. Why don't they use our tax payer money to catch drug dealers, rapists, etc.. Catching kids trying to get beer at 16 or 17 is easy. Fight the real crime in the area.

Because they use "kids" in thier very late teens/very early twenties.

Guest Guest

They use kids from their explorer post program. They go in and try to purchase beer without I.D..If they succeed then they are prosecuted.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...NEWS01/80307016

The Broome County Sheriff’s Office made seven arrests Wednesday in an effort targeting sales to underage people at locations throughout the county. The department checked 34 locations for compliance. Clerks at establishments in Port Crane and the towns of Chenango, Kirkwood, Dickinson, Union and Triangle face charges.

Clerks at the stores have been charged with prohibited sale of alcohol, an unclassified misdemeanor, and will appear in town courts at a later date. The stores will be referred to the New York State Alcohol Beverage Control Board regarding their liquor license violations.

Retail locations facing violations include the Red Apple on Route 369 in Port Crane, Diamond Fuel on Front Street in the Town of Chenango, Manley’s on Front Street in the Town of Chenango, Manley’s on Court Street in Kirkwood, Manley’s on Front Street in Dickinson, Mobil on Hooper Road in Union and Hess on Route 11 in Triangle.

The sheriff’s office was assisted by a 19-year-old student of the Board of Cooperative Education Services criminal justice program and a 20-year-old soldier on leave from Iraq.

AND SOME OF THE COMMENTS

molsondrinker

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:51 am Post subject: Ha!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice that most of them are Manley's? Well, they get what they deserve. It's a shame that Manley's is able to flourish here given their horrendous business practices.

Back to top Report Abuse

Uubee40

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:25 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's terrible they get these guys that look like their 30 or 35 years old and send them around doing this..total setup if you ask me. Don't the local police have bigger fish to fry than lowly store clerks who are trying to make ends meet? (I'm sure they all get fired after their "events")...Why don't they go case the Dixie for lose pedo's, or bust some drug dealers on the West Side..

Back to top Report Abuse

JusticeforAll

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:42 am Post subject:

It's pathetic that a 20 year old can go to Iraq and put his life on the line, but he can't go into a convenience store and purchase alcohol!

Back to top Report Abuse

U of M fan

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:15 am Post subject:

Justice, I agree with you, but, work through the system, get the law changed that sends 18, 19, 20 year olds to war. Or work through the system and get the law changed to purchase alcohol lowered.

I am against sending kids to war, just as I am against letting kids purchase alcohol.

Uubee40, those lowly store clerks would probably take exception to being called lowly, but they chose the job for what ever reason. Applying for a position takes on certain responsibility one of which is to follow the law. If they can not follow it even if they appear to be set up, then they need to choose another job.

Back to top Report Abuse

jusme36

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:43 am Post subject:

What horrendous business practice by Manley's do you mean ???

Back to top Report Abuse

coley0204

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:18 am Post subject:

JusticeforAll the problem wasn't that a 20 year old on leave from Iraq couldn't get alcohol, the problem was the 20 year old on leave from Iraq COULD get alcohol !!!!!

Back to top Report Abuse

Charlie123

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:24 am Post subject:

Just give the soldier a beer I think he deserves it

Back to top Report Abuse

Charlie123

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:27 am Post subject:

All soldiers deserve it...honestly he's already 20...you really think that people mature that much in a 6 month period that they are more resonsible once they turn 21?

Back to top Report Abuse

green1

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:32 am Post subject:

Last thing we need is drunk solders going into dangerous situations/battle

Back to top Report Abuse

debtiff22

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:21 pm Post subject: Clerks in these stores

My mom was one of the clerks that was involved in a sting op last year. The cops waited til she was the busyest she possibly could be, with gas sales, making subs and selling groceries. They sent in the kids and she thought they looked old enough, was in a hurry, and didn't check. Yes, she was a lowly clerk, she made minimum wage, although she was never trained to do anything that would make her a great deal of money. That little bit of money was what made her able to afford groceries. She was fired on the spot, for making a mistake. She also had to pay a fine, and was truely embarassed. I agree, that these stings are necessary. I just don't agree with the way they are done, or the way in which gas station owners deal with their employees that make the mistake. If a person makes the mistake once, I believe they should be allowed to pay a fine, but continue working for the company. If they do it again, then can them. Everyone makes mistakes.

Back to top Report Abuse

R.S.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:39 pm Post subject:

Maybe a ticket would have been better or a warning for this clerk. Im sare the clerk feels like sh*t right now because of this sting. Im sare they needed that job. We do gotta watch under age drinking but i beleive the sting has much needed work it self....

Back to top Report Abuse

zxern

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:53 pm Post subject:

If your old enough to patrol a hostile civilian population with automatic weapons, you are old enough to drink.

Back to top Report Abuse

floridaguy

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:15 pm Post subject:

I guess the Broome County sherriffs office forgot about all the crack dealers and meth labs they need to find,this must be a lot more fun,and store clerks don't shoot at you.Your tax dollars at work.

Archived