replacement windows

Guest east side guest

Guest Guest

Barrier...I would stay away. While their product is definitely top quality, their salesmanship is that of a shady used car salesman. Also, don't be fooled by their "3 free windows" contest...it's a scam. I guess the best way I can describe my experience would be if you've ever seen the movie "Matchstick Men" with Nicholas Cage, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Went looking for replacement windows at the Home Show. Can anyone tell me which companies to stay away from?

Guest Guest
Went looking for replacement windows at the Home Show. Can anyone tell me which companies to stay away from?

I personally would avoid places that "specialize" in windows, I will tell you why. They seem to charge a lot more than other companies who do more than just windows. I know a few people who have complained about the prices of places like Barrier, The Window Broker, etc. Also, a family member of mine got an estimate from Barrier for approx 12 windows.......the quote was around 30k dollars.......rip off!! We bought our windows at Home Depot, got a good brand and all of the extra glass treatments that the other places offer. We paid around 3k for the windows and put them in ourselves, it was pretty easy.

Also, don't be fooled by their "3 free windows" contest...it's a scam.

Yea that's where the PSb came up with their $ 50.00 grand prize winner contest. Take your name, addy and teley and then sell if off to hassle you into buying other stuff.

When we changed the 3 of the big picture windows, we got Anderson Windows. Although a little more costly, we were very happy with the end result.

Guest westsider
I've had replacement windows done by Madison Vinyl. They manufacture the windows and do excellent work at half the price of almost everyone else.

Guest westsider

When we did our windows we called Barrier. What a joke! 6 hours later and countless calls to his 'manager' the quote was$60,000. I kid you not. He told me when we sold the house we would get it back. I said for God sake the house is appraised for $100,000! We almost had to call the police to get them out of the house. We called Window Broker. They did an excellent job. If you have a question they are always willing to help. They did our roof also. Lowest estimate of anyone and and an excellent job as well and no, Idon't work for them. :D

Guest Guest

When Barrier came to give us a "free estimate," 2 hours later my husband and I had to ask the guy to leave. One thing that I found interesting was the salesman went on and on about how they are a member of the Better Business Bureau...what he didn't say was that they are not accredited by the BBB and that they have numerous customer complaints on the BBB website. So glad we didn't agree to the $21,000 quote he gave us. Talk about a high-pressure sales visit. When you start to feel uncomfortable in your own home, you know something's not right.

When we did our windows we called Barrier. What a joke! 6 hours later and countless calls to his 'manager' the quote was$60,000. I kid you not. He told me when we sold the house we would get it back. I said for God sake the house is appraised for $100,000! We almost had to call the police to get them out of the house. We called Window Broker. They did an excellent job. If you have a question they are always willing to help. They did our roof also. Lowest estimate of anyone and and an excellent job as well and no, Idon't work for them. :D

Guest Guest

Buy the windows at Lowes or Home Depot and install them yourself. It's a lot easier than you'd expect. It only takes about 1/2 hour per window. Save lots of money on the installation costs.

Guest Guest

Buy the windows at Lowes or Home Depot and install them yourself. It's a lot easier than you'd expect. It only takes about 1/2 hour per window. Save lots of money on the installation costs.

I couldnt agree with you more and tot op it off they even have Pella! I replaced most of my windows in the 80s when they were expensive but now you can do them at half the cost of what i paid.

Guest guest

Stay away from Barrier. I am surprised they are still in business. The way they pressure you is disguisting. I puke when i hear their advertisements and I HOPE that no one is calling them for their fake 3 window offer.

Guest BC SUX

www.customorderonline.com also sells all kinds of windows as well. At great prices.

Do the job yourself. Its so freakin easy. After you do one by yourself, you'll be appalled at those contractors who quoted you outrageous prices.

Guest Guest

I will give you another take on Barrier. I too thought they were too aggressive. However, they quoted me a rediculous price of like $55,000 for 28 windows. After showing them a quote I had for double windows for $15000, I offered $18000 for their triple pane windows. They laughed at first but agreed after a couple phone calls. I will tell you that I went through three tanks of propane a winter before the windows. Now, we don't finish one tank of propane. I am saving over $1500 a year just in propane. I think this year even more. The triple pane windows are incredible. They look great and really insulate the house really well. If you can get by their salesmen and initial offer, it is a great product.

Thanks so much for the replies. It's great to hear from the locals and get true advice, as I couldn't believe it when I heard some of these prices.

Try www.windowking.org I had all my windows replaced by them. Great windows at a great price

Guest Guest

I completely know what you mean. We were quoted an outrageous price of over $20,000 for 17 of their "cheapest" windows...after we let them know there was no way in hell we could afford that, he said, "what if I told you we could do it for $11,000?" My response..."Are you kidding me? In a matter of 3 minutes you knocked off over $10,000. A minute ago you were ready to take our 20!" I'll admit, they got a great product, but in no way will I do business with someone or some company that is that shady. I feel really bad for the people who fall for their pitch and pay all that money. It's a shame what they're doing to people.

On another note...after reading everyone's experience with Barrier, I'm soooooo glad my husband and I decided against them.

I will give you another take on Barrier. I too thought they were too aggressive. However, they quoted me a rediculous price of like $55,000 for 28 windows. After showing them a quote I had for double windows for $15000, I offered $18000 for their triple pane windows. They laughed at first but agreed after a couple phone calls. I will tell you that I went through three tanks of propane a winter before the windows. Now, we don't finish one tank of propane. I am saving over $1500 a year just in propane. I think this year even more. The triple pane windows are incredible. They look great and really insulate the house really well. If you can get by their salesmen and initial offer, it is a great product.

Guest Guest

Look I agree that a lot of the contractors try to get in your shorts big time. BUT unless you have some skills don't be fooled by the replies about how simple it is to install yourself. Putting in the window is the easy part you also have to remove the old window and either keep your brick mold in place or install new. Then install the window which you first have to get the accurate measurement for before pulling out the old one because you have a 2-3 week wait for the new one to come in. You at that point after installing the new one have to rip down your new extension jambs and install your new trim. And of course if you had to put in new brick mold and stops you will have to wrap them with coil stock to make them weather proof.

Now the prices you quoted seem way out of whack a good rule of thumb is that your labor will be pretty close to what your material cost is for the window. So if you have a window that runs you around 250.00 then look for your labor to be about the same. As for manufacturer I usually use norandex in vestal Good Luck.

We also got our new windows from Madison Vinyl, last Spring, and we are very happy with them. My husband says it is the best thing we ever did. As a result, we used far less oil this winter, haven't filled our tank in 11 months. We did use our woodstove from Dec. thru Feb. but we still have almost a half tank of oil left.

Guest Guest
Look I agree that a lot of the contractors try to get in your shorts big time. BUT unless you have some skills don't be fooled by the replies about how simple it is to install yourself. Putting in the window is the easy part you also have to remove the old window and either keep your brick mold in place or install new. Then install the window which you first have to get the accurate measurement for before pulling out the old one because you have a 2-3 week wait for the new one to come in. You at that point after installing the new one have to rip down your new extension jambs and install your new trim. And of course if you had to put in new brick mold and stops you will have to wrap them with coil stock to make them weather proof.

Now the prices you quoted seem way out of whack a good rule of thumb is that your labor will be pretty close to what your material cost is for the window. So if you have a window that runs you around 250.00 then look for your labor to be about the same. As for manufacturer I usually use norandex in vestal Good Luck.

If you have the old wooden sash windows with the weights, it's alot easier to replace them than what you're saying. Google "replacing windows" and find some instructions. Follow the instructions and save a little cash. Easy as 1-2-3!! :rolleyes:

Guest taxpayer
If you have the old wooden sash windows with the weights, it's alot easier to replace them than what you're saying. Google "replacing windows" and find some instructions. Follow the instructions and save a little cash. Easy as 1-2-3!! :rolleyes:

hey I have a relative who live across the street from a deadbeat and his wife (he won't work because he "doesn't want to")..she works but doesn't really want to either and somehow last year was on disability,workmans comp AND unemployment..they have a kid so regardless of what little income they bring in they get a ton back from taxes..anyway..they just had the city of binghamton put a new roof, all new windows, new electric, new gutters, a new chimney, new doors, new stairs and new railings on their house-all because he refuses to work and earn a living. All they have to do is live there for 10 years before they are forgiven for most of the loan..now if he was working, they wouldn't have qualified..so my advice to you is..quit your job, become lazy and never leave your house, and ask the city to replace your windows for you!

Guest Guest

I agree. We used Barrier and I was very unhappy with the finished product. While the windows themselves are great, the work was not. It was not seamed around the outside correctly. I paid extra to replace my bottom window sills and they stuck in dug up 2by 4s that were all marked up and in horrible shape. My old window sills were better. Complained numerous times, they never fixed the problem. They are up your DELETED selling you the product, calling you, harassing you. Then you buy it and they are gone- no one returns calls and no problems are ever fixed. We wrote the BBB about them!

DO NOT use Barrier- you'll be sorry.

Guest Guesto1

I agree with you about Barrier. When they first came and gave me and estimate I really loved their windows but the price was sky high.

I didn't fall for their "I have to call my manager or the office, gig". I just simply told them that I will NEVER, EVER make a big decision like

that in one night. I need time to think. I got a few more appraisals and lo and behold I got a call from the manager and told him of my

other appraisals also and we dickered back and forth on price and I got it for 3/4 less that what they first quoted me.

The windows are EXCELLENT!!! Very insulated and double hung is the best. Soooo easy to clean.

Great quality and I agree with you on the efficiency of the windows. My house is the warmest we have ever been.

There are no drafts and they even created new window sills. I have electric heat and I pay less than my family members that have a wood stove

or natural gas. If you can get them down to your price Barrier windows are excellent.

Guest Guest

I totally agree with the barrier window comments about a great product. Their salesmen suck, but the triple pane windows are better than anything out there. Our house is totally different than it was before we had them installed. We live in a farmhouse that really felt there were drafts in the winter. Now, it is toasty warm and the windows will pay for them selves in 7-8 years. Our gas bill is 1/3 what it was before. Just make sure not to agree to their first price.

Guest Guest

I got 11 new windows about 3 years ago and they keep sending me bills with threats and everything. They told me that the windows would pay for themselves! What are they trying to pull?

Archived