Child Left in Car 10ft Away...

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Did anyone read about the mother who was arrested for leaving her sleeping toddler, in her carseat, inside her locked & alarmed car while she walked 10 feet away with her two other children to give a donation to the Slavation Army? She was parked in the loading area in front of WalMart with her flashers on and was arrested for endangering her child. She never lost a visual on her car and then had to be handcuffed and arrrested in front of her children and investigated by CPS. I think that is ridiculous under those conditions...it's not like she abandoned the car in the middle of a busy intersection or went inside to shop! Authority overstepping boudaries if you ask me...Any thoughts?

I have read this. She is actually on trial now for this as she would not just plead it down. I think law enforcement overstepped on this one. Yes, she broke the law, but taking it to this level for this woman was not necessary IMO.

No

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,337012,00.html

CHICAGO — Treffly Coyne was out of her car for just minutes and no more than 10 yards away.

But that was long and far enough to land her in court after a police officer spotted her sleeping 2-year-old daughter alone in the vehicle; Coyne had taken her two older daughters to pour $8.29 in coins into a Salvation Army kettle.

Guest Guest
I have read this. She is actually on trial now for this as she would not just plead it down. I think law enforcement overstepped on this one. Yes, she broke the law, but taking it to this level for this woman was not necessary IMO.

Tazz I am not sure what law was broken. They have to PROVE that she endangered the welfare of her child and this is clearly not the case...

Tazz I am not sure what law was broken. They have to PROVE that she endangered the welfare of her child and this is clearly not the case...

I agree, but I think one of the earlier articles stated in that state it was against the law to leave a child in the car period. I'll look and see if I can find that link again.

But I do agree, the child was never in any danger. She should not have been charged in this case.

Knowing the details of the case only from the "media", it's hard to say, but as a former law enforcement officer I find this one hard to believe. Laws are enacted to prevent or resolve problems, but it is always the responsibility of the law enforcement officer to look carefully at the circumstances in any particular incident and to make a judgement as to whether the law as written has been violated not only by the letter of the law, but by the spirit in which is was intended. This one doesn't look right.

Guest Guest

It stated that this happened in a WALMART parking lot... Most abductions of young children happen in Walmart parking lots... All large Walmarts have security cameras capable of monitoring their lots - But they are not used for security - The sole purpose of these cameras is to spot and monitor UNION activities!!!!

Guest Guest
No

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,337012,00.html

CHICAGO — Treffly Coyne was out of her car for just minutes and no more than 10 yards away.

But that was long and far enough to land her in court after a police officer spotted her sleeping 2-year-old daughter alone in the vehicle; Coyne had taken her two older daughters to pour $8.29 in coins into a Salvation Army kettle.

That's pathetic. You try to do some good and you get arrested for leaving your kid in the car.

Archived