CV Mismanagement

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

What the hell is going on in this district? They get a nice bump in school aid and I hear they are $2MM in the red? Is somebody stealing money from the place? So now I hear they have to sell the board office building just to make ends meet. Whats next, leasing part of the high school?!

What the hell is going on in this district? They get a nice bump in school aid and I hear they are $2MM in the red? Is somebody stealing money from the place? So now I hear they have to sell the board office building just to make ends meet. Whats next, leasing part of the high school?!

Great idea, ask the morons on this board...why don't you call the superintendent or go to a BOE meeting and ask, DELETED!

Guest Guest
Great idea, ask the morons on this board...why don't you call the superintendent or go to a BOE meeting and ask, dumbass!

Well...derp...I dint think uh dat...I thought someone here might have some thoughts on the subject as well, but hell, its just a message board and that's not what they're for.... DELETED !

@

Well...derp...I dint think uh dat...I thought someone here might have some thoughts on the subject as well, but hell, its just a message board and that's not what they're for.... DELETED !

@

It has been rumored that the school district was going to sell the property of the old Hillcrest school for a while now. I also heard that the childrens home was very interested in the land.

@

Guest guest
It has been rumored that the school district was going to sell the property of the old Hillcrest school for a while now. I also heard that the childrens home was very interested in the land.

@

I don't know what's going on budget wise, but I do know that this is a great district. Instead of getting information on this board, perhaps it is a good idea to attend a board meeting and get the real news.

@

Guest Guest
I don't know what's going on budget wise, but I do know that this is a great district. Instead of getting information on this board, perhaps it is a good idea to attend a board meeting and get the real news.

@

Where do you think I got the info from? Just wait until you see the tax hike this year! You are right, there are great educators in the district...unfortunately they are being let go because the district can't manage money.

@

First of all, I never said in my post that I got any information off this board. I heard the information from people within the community.

Second, I never said it was true and that it is why it is just a rumor.

Third, if I really wanted to know, I would attend a board meeting, but until I hear some more talk that sounds like it would happen, then I will attend a board meeting. <_<

Guest guest

Well the Children's Home does not need no more of our property in Hillcrest!!! People in Hillcrest should get involved to know what all goes on with that place and then more people might step up to the plate to say NO MORE!!! Just like the cottages on the front lawn, yes they are beautiful but did you get a letter to tell you about them being built? I did not only went out to the people that lived so many miles/feet from the Children's Home, but they have no problem sending me stuff or asking for me to support the home. I just say enough is enough nothing against the kids at all but just we have done enough in Hillcrest with the Childrens Home. We need something that would be on the tax role.

Guest guest
In today's paper it states:

"The Chenango Valley Central School District's proposed $31.2 million budget for the 2008-09 fiscal year is up 7.5 percent, due to the rising cost of utilities, special education and employee benefits, Superintendent Carmen Ciullo said".

Don't all districts face similar problems of rising cost of utilities, special education and employee benefits? What's the real deal? Poor planning, mismanagement??? Will we ever know?

Guest Guest

Last year's tax increase was over 5%, the highest in the Broome-Tioga BOCES. The budget BARELY passed. This year, the increase will be 7.5%. What are they thinking? The budget will certainly be defeated. The school will be forced to use an austerity budget and more cuts will result. How can the School Board show their faces in public? Is there something I'm missing? What is going on?

@

@

To the poster who thought I got my information from the BCV, feel free to read the PSB artice about the board office possibly being sold and the childrens home interested in it.

It is tough being correct.

Guest Guest
To the poster who thought I got my information from the BCV, feel free to read the PSB artice about the board office possibly being sold and the childrens home interested in it.

It is tough being correct.

It is tough being correct...but how would you know? This district has been looking into selling the BO for a very long time. The news on Wyoming Conference wanting to purchase it, alas, is also old news. Absolutely nothing new here. Now, what were you saying???

*Also, if you read the posting, it was simply saying go to the source. Ouch, you are touchy!

Guest Guest

Here's what i wrote on the pressconnects forum concerning the sale of the old Hillcrest school:

Does the Children's Home pay property taxes? If so, then by all means sell them the building. If not, let's get that property back on the tax rolls...

...I wonder if the property they are planning to sell includes all the land behind the building all the way back to the rail road tracks.

If so, that piece of land is about the same size as neighboring Hotchkiss Ave. 20 or 30 modest homes on a new street would certainly help out the CV tax rolls, as well as the Broome county tax rolls. Any realtor could tell you that homes in Hillcrest don't stay on the market very long.

Guest Guest

Didn't CV's business super mess up and it cost the district 1/2 million in loss revenue. He's 'retiring' early and has been shown the door. Go to the board meetings and ask about that

Guest Guest
In today's paper it states:

"The Chenango Valley Central School District's proposed $31.2 million budget for the 2008-09 fiscal year is up 7.5 percent, due to the rising cost of utilities, special education and employee benefits, Superintendent Carmen Ciullo said".

Don't all districts face similar problems of rising cost of utilities, special education and employee benefits? What's the real deal? Poor planning, mismanagement??? Will we ever know?

If they want to save a little money on utilities how about turning off the a/c when the weather warms up. Open the windows. It's not like we're in South Florida.

@

It is tough being correct...but how would you know? This district has been looking into selling the BO for a very long time. The news on Wyoming Conference wanting to purchase it, alas, is also old news. Absolutely nothing new here. Now, what were you saying???

*Also, if you read the posting, it was simply saying go to the source. Ouch, you are touchy!

My original point, was that I did not hear it on this site like the one poster suggested.

I also know that the "news" was old since I heard about it last year or so (my memory doesn't recall minor things like that). I don't remember say that it was new news.

I am also not touchy, but just stating what I had heard at one point. :rolleyes:

Here's what i wrote on the pressconnects forum concerning the sale of the old Hillcrest school:

I would love to see the property back on the tax rolls and adding a new street would be nice too.

Guest Guest
I would love to see the property back on the tax rolls and adding a new street would be nice too.

We need to spread the word and get others on board. We need to bring it up to the school board.

Guest guest
We need to spread the word and get others on board. We need to bring it up to the school board.

How about going to the next town board meeting, does anyone know when that is? Needs to go back on the tax roll. The Home does not pay taxes and we don't need the home buying it, we all need to step up to the plate on this issue so lets get people in Hillcrest aware of what is going on here.

@

How about going to the next town board meeting, does anyone know when that is? Needs to go back on the tax roll. The Home does not pay taxes and we don't need the home buying it, we all need to step up to the plate on this issue so lets get people in Hillcrest aware of what is going on here.

@

I would have to check, but I think they are on Wednesdays. It has been years, 14 since I have been to one.

Guest Guest

@

Yes, Town residents should address the Town Board. This issue is bigger than just the town though. It affects all the tax payers in the CV district. We need to take it to the school board too.

It also affects the taxpayers at the county level. As you said the Children's Home pays no property taxes.

The town of Fenton should start charging for all the false alarms the fire dept responds to at the Childrens home.

@

Actually, Broome County Dispatch has something like that set up now. I don't know the exact details, but there is a fine after 3 false alarms every year. The childrens home is usually past 3 false alarms by mid January. The down fall for the town of fenton or hillcrest fire company, is that the county keeps the money.

Only my opinion, but I think a cut of that money/fine should go to the fire departments because they are taking out their $150,000-$200,000 fire trucks out on the streets for no real fire problem. The money could be used for fixing the fire trucks because of the non needed wear and tear.

@

Archived