CFL bulbs

The Mole

We've been hearing about how great CFl bulbs are. Saving energy, etc....

We've even heard of the extinction of the tungsten filament bulb. I've been

waiting for the truth to come out as to just how environmentally unfriendly

the "new" CFL bulbs are.

Check out this link....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694819/

There's more to them than just the mercury.

Consider the construction of the regular old light bulb. Usually the base is aluminum which is

recyclable. There's ceramic holding things together, there used to be some lead solder but that's

changed to the new safer solder. Then there's glass and some metal. Unless you drop them they're

not too dangerous and you can, if you really wanted to break them down, reclaim some of its material.

Now look at the wondrous energy savior, the CFL bulb. It looks harmless enough but the base housing

is what??? PLASTIC !!! A totally environmentally unfriendly compound that never breaks down and is usually

made of petroleum products. Then comes the internals that you don't see. The electronic components that add

to the ever increasing waste stream. Just how much of that could be recycled??? On to the glass with it's nasty coating.

Toxic anyone??? Let's not forget what's inside... That wonderful EPA warned against element, mercury. Mercury is needed in

order to make the bloody thing work !!!!

The CFL bulb is an environmental nightmare not some savior as it was first stated. I know a number of people that changed every

bulb in their house to these things and they complain constantly about the inadequate light they give off. I've tried them. I don't like them

and I believe modern science can do a better job. So until then, if you use them remember one thing......

Be careful as the bulb you use has the potential to kill. (I wonder if they'll put a skull and crossbones on these things)

Good day people......

I'm outta here !!!!

Archived