Should Upstate and NYC Split?

Guest Outside of the Box

Guest Outside of the Box

Everyone seems to complain alot about NYC. Do you think we would be better off breaking off from NYC and becoming our own state? Why or why not?

Everyone seems to complain alot about NYC. Do you think we would be better off breaking off from NYC and becoming our own state? Why or why not?

Last I looked, New City Is Part Of New York State. We are our own State. I think you mean should NYC become it's own STATE and I would say yes on one hand and no on the other.

Guest george steinbrenner

No way!!! It would nver work.

Guest Guest
Last I looked, New City Is Part Of New York State. We are our own State. I think you mean should NYC become it's own STATE and I would say yes on one hand and no on the other.

Yeah

QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 21 2008, 09:39 PM) *

We would lose big time in that split!

elaborate

"There is also a prevailing upstate sentiment that the state government favors New York City by providing its residents with a disproportionate amount of tax dollars to support social programs.

"There's a myth, perpetuated by upstate newspapers, that New York City is draining money out of the state treasury," said Assemblyman Edward C. Sullivan.

But statistics point otherwise. The Center for Governmental Research released a recent report that showed that New York City "contributes significantly more in revenue than it receives in state funds."

Link

In summary, upstate loses in the deal.

@

I just read the link from the Center for Governmental Research. The split would require a change in the State's constitution and upstate does come out on the better end of the deal when state revenues are spread around.

P&SB contributor, Jay Gallagher, once wrote that it used to be more even. In years when the stock market did well, NYC used to contribute more to Albany than they got back. In bad stock market years, we contributed more. Lately, it's all been one way, they contribute more.

This all leaves out one detail. It's my belief that we are a high tax state because of downstate politicians. For example, Pennsylvania has a maximum state income tax of 3.2%, New York has a maximum state income tax more similar to New Jersey, about 6.75%. Pennsylvania has a $28.3 billion budget. New York has a $124 billion budget. I can't prove it, but it's my believe that, were it not for the long term influence of downstate politicians, upstate New York would be more like Pennsylvania than like New Jersey.

It's a little late to split now. The high tax, high mandate, business environment has already chased away our upstate manufacturing base. If we could have split from them 30 years ago, it would probably have been easier financially.

Scott

Guest NYC cry babies

yes, were attracting too many cry babies from NYC to go to BU. Go home you losers :angry::angry::angry:

Archived