Need a trust worthy Antique appraiser

Guest Bill

Guest Guest
Looking for someone that is trust worthy and honest about appraising antiques. Anyone have any suggestions?

Depends on what kind of antiques they are. what are they? furniture? glass? paintings?

@

Looking for someone that is trust worthy and honest about appraising antiques. Anyone have any suggestions?

I know the business well trust me....The best thing for you to do is go to Barnes and Noble with all the info you have and look it up yourself....Once you find how much it's worth then you can go from there...If you go to a dealer to sell it of course you won't get book price so don't expect to do so, the dealer has to make money, and as far as that goes, even if you sell it yourself in all probability you won't get book...A good rule of thumb would be to ask anywhere from 50-75 % of book price if you were to sell.....Also my advice to you if you are going to sell would be to contact at least 3 different dealers or more if you can, you'd be amazed at the difference in offers you'll get...

Hope this helps... and just for the record I'd be interested in what you have if you want to sell, but check it out first..

@

If you think you have an item worth real money:

Many of the major (national) auction houses will give you rough estimates via e-mail. Of course you need to send them decent digital pictures, and any details about the history of the item. They will tell you what they believe the auction value to be.

This can be a good way to begin. The estimates from the auction houses usually give you key things to look for and can help you varify if the person you select is knowledgeable and fair.

If you are just looking to "move stuff" that you have had for too long, I think any local auction house can help you appraise items. Just be careful when they are ...willing to take that off your hands for you. Lol! (That usually means you should hang on tight!)

@

Archived