SUNY craft show, HA!

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Went to craft show at SUNY? Paid our admission and deposited some cans of food. Found a colorful wooden train of multiple parts, perfoect for a toddler to play with and learn motor skills. We asked the Windsor vendor where it came from, because we didn't want any Chinese stuff, he said "I make them in Windsor". Asked what they were painted with, he said "Glidden latex". Paid $15. When we were leaving I spotted an identical "toy train" at a different vendor and asked where he got it. He first said, he made it....I asked if he made the others in another vendors booth, he then he said he got it from Connecticut......... I asked where did they get it? He said, "from China". I asked why doesn't it say so on the product? He said it was printed on the big box they come in.

Because we surely don't want lead paint on toys for our grandchild, I went back and confronted the first vendor and without a word he returned our money.

None of these vendors should be allowed to dump Chinese products on the unwary public. They should be bonified craftsmen and women, making the products they offer for sale. What else at this "show" was not made in the USA?

Why don't they collect and account for the sales tax on there items?

Greed is going to be the downfall of our society, if it hasn't already.

We will never again go to another of these "craft shows".

Guest Guest

This is so true! I've been to this and many other craft fairs before. Many...Many...of the so called crafters purchase their products elsewhere, add a couple of little things to them, and then sell them as their own handicraft! Ha, and the unwitting public is stupid enough to buy them at outrageous prices because they are "hand made". (PS, I count myself among the "stupid" since I've been duped as well). Also, I don't like that this is advertised as a benefit for charity (CHOW) when it's clearly just a benefit for the organizers and crafters. Btw, this craft fair was not a "SUNY affair", they only rented out the space.

Guest Guest

I also attended the craft show, and while clearly there were some booths that had local hand made items ( the alpaca booth comes to mind, with beautiful items), I also asked questions at certain booths for items I was looking to purchase for my granddaughter, and was lied to about the paint. I purchased a toy that had no paint on it, and that was it. It is very much the "buyer beware", because obviously the vendors are only out to make a buck, and don't care what harm could happen to a child from an item "crafted in China with lead paint"! I will not attend this show again.

Guest Guest

Can you not tell that it is cheap garbage? Junk. Trashy trailer lawn ornaments that is neither art nor craft. Being sold in Broome-did you expect more than low end cheap junk?

Guest Guest

I've got news for you...maybe some of the items there did look like junk. However, there are sellers whose items look superb. You would never guess that they were not carefully handmade. Yeh...it would be simple if it all looked like garbage. Unfortunately, it all does not and it is very easy to be fooled! These folks get away with bilking the public time after time, and they make lots of $$$ doing so.

@

Archived