Limbaugh safe from voter-fraud charges

Radio host encouraged fans to vote Democratic

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:59 AM

By Mark Niquette

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Like Politics?

Get more Ohio political news at DispatchPolitics.com

Buzz our story!

Yahoo! Buzz features the most popular stories right now, determined by people around the Web. Click below to vote.

Yahoo! BuzzRadio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh has been telling his audience for days now that he could be indicted for encouraging Ohio Republicans to take a Democratic ballot in the March 4 primary in what he calls "Operation Chaos."

Could that actually happen?

Not likely, Ohio officials say.

"We have no intention of prosecuting Rush Limbaugh because lying through your teeth and being stupid isn't a crime," said Leo Jennings, a spokesman for Democratic Attorney General Marc Dann.

When asked whether she has concerns about what Limbaugh did, Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner, a Democrat, replied, "I think it's very bad form, but I think most voters are intelligent enough to make their own decisions."

Limbaugh's "Operation Chaos" in Ohio, Pennsylvania and other states holding presidential primaries is designed to help presumptive Republican nominee John McCain win the Nov. 4 election.

The idea is to encourage Republicans in those states to vote for Hillary Clinton as a way to prolong the Democratic fight for the nomination with Barack Obama, possibly making it more difficult for Democrats to unite in the fall.

Some critics have complained that Limbaugh is improperly encouraging voters to break the law.

In Ohio, party-switchers are supposed to sign a form attesting, under penalty of election falsification -- a felony -- that they support the principles of the party whose ballot they are obtaining.

But Jennings said it would be difficult to prosecute anyone because they also have constitutionally protected freedom of speech and it's hard to prove voter intent.

"You can't just make the assumption that someone is lying," Jennings said.

Neither Limbaugh nor a spokesman could be reached, but Limbaugh has a transcript posted on his Web site addressing listeners concerned about being charged with voter fraud.

"I wouldn't worry about it," Limbaugh said. "Look at this as a badge of honor, ladies and gentlemen. If anybody gets indicted, if anybody has to go jail, it will be me -- and I'll do my program from jail for the short amount of time I will be there before I am excused and the charges dismissed.

"I had the temerity, ladies and gentlemen, to tinker with a tradition, a liberal Democrat tradition: voter manipulation."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Guest pharmacist
Limbaugh safe from voter-fraud charges

Radio host encouraged fans to vote Democratic

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:59 AM

By Mark Niquette

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Like Politics?

Get more Ohio political news at DispatchPolitics.com

Buzz our story!

Yahoo! Buzz features the most popular stories right now, determined by people around the Web. Click below to vote.

Yahoo! BuzzRadio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh has been telling his audience for days now that he could be indicted for encouraging Ohio Republicans to take a Democratic ballot in the March 4 primary in what he calls "Operation Chaos."

Could that actually happen?

Not likely, Ohio officials say.

"We have no intention of prosecuting Rush Limbaugh because lying through your teeth and being stupid isn't a crime," said Leo Jennings, a spokesman for Democratic Attorney General Marc Dann.

When asked whether she has concerns about what Limbaugh did, Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner, a Democrat, replied, "I think it's very bad form, but I think most voters are intelligent enough to make their own decisions."

Limbaugh's "Operation Chaos" in Ohio, Pennsylvania and other states holding presidential primaries is designed to help presumptive Republican nominee John McCain win the Nov. 4 election.

The idea is to encourage Republicans in those states to vote for Hillary Clinton as a way to prolong the Democratic fight for the nomination with Barack Obama, possibly making it more difficult for Democrats to unite in the fall.

Some critics have complained that Limbaugh is improperly encouraging voters to break the law.

In Ohio, party-switchers are supposed to sign a form attesting, under penalty of election falsification -- a felony -- that they support the principles of the party whose ballot they are obtaining.

But Jennings said it would be difficult to prosecute anyone because they also have constitutionally protected freedom of speech and it's hard to prove voter intent.

"You can't just make the assumption that someone is lying," Jennings said.

Neither Limbaugh nor a spokesman could be reached, but Limbaugh has a transcript posted on his Web site addressing listeners concerned about being charged with voter fraud.

"I wouldn't worry about it," Limbaugh said. "Look at this as a badge of honor, ladies and gentlemen. If anybody gets indicted, if anybody has to go jail, it will be me -- and I'll do my program from jail for the short amount of time I will be there before I am excused and the charges dismissed.

"I had the temerity, ladies and gentlemen, to tinker with a tradition, a liberal Democrat tradition: voter manipulation."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

it's ok. rush is used to breaking the law. when you are a doctor shopping drug addict, nothing else scares you.

Guest Guest
it's ok. rush is used to breaking the law. when you are a doctor shopping drug addict, nothing else scares you.

Governor Patterson........please call your office!

@

Guest Rushjudgement
Governor Patterson........please call your office!

@

Limbaugh is about as pertinent to modern politics as the horse and buggy is to modern transportation. He now is resorting to hijinx instead of discussing issues (not that he did that before, mind you). Nobody takes him seriously anymore. I think, as I observe, that most people look at him a little sadly, a man who could have made a difference, but instead chose to make a mockery of himself.

Guest Guest

While you sweat Rush and his insignificant life and show, here's what's going on in the real world:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/03/28/...main/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Baghdad was on virtual lockdown Friday as a tough new curfew ordered everyone off the streets of the Iraqi capital and five other cities until 5 p.m. Sunday.

That restriction didn't stop someone from firing rockets and mortar rounds into the capital's heavily fortified International Zone, commonly known as the Green Zone. One slammed into the office of one of Iraq's vice presidents, Tareq al-Hashemi, killing two guards.

Tell me again how I'm surrendering. How the battle for Baghdad has been won for awhile. How al qaeda is on the run.

Please.......... tell me.

Guest Guest
While you sweat Rush and his insignificant life and show, here's what's going on in the real world:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/03/28/...main/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Baghdad was on virtual lockdown Friday as a tough new curfew ordered everyone off the streets of the Iraqi capital and five other cities until 5 p.m. Sunday.

That restriction didn't stop someone from firing rockets and mortar rounds into the capital's heavily fortified International Zone, commonly known as the Green Zone. One slammed into the office of one of Iraq's vice presidents, Tareq al-Hashemi, killing two guards.

Tell me again how I'm surrendering. How the battle for Baghdad has been won for awhile. How al qaeda is on the run.

Please.......... tell me.

You are the most pathetic loser in the world. One incident and the end of the universe as we know it is here.

Why have there been no attacks here since 9/11????? Why???? Because Bush did what he said he was going to do. That is what upsets you the most.

If the dems want to end our involvement over there, they can do it tomorrow. They won't, why? Because they know more than you do about what is going on over there.

Call Hillary, Call Schumer, Call Hinchey. Tell them to get our troops out of there.

Guest OptimisticPessimist
You are the most pathetic loser in the world. One incident and the end of the universe as we know it is here.

Why have there been no attacks here since 9/11????? Why???? Because Bush did what he said he was going to do. That is what upsets you the most.

If the dems want to end our involvement over there, they can do it tomorrow. They won't, why? Because they know more than you do about what is going on over there.

Call Hillary, Call Schumer, Call Hinchey. Tell them to get our troops out of there.

YEAH! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! WHOOHOO!

uh, wait a minute...

Guest Guest

Call them now....

Guest Guest
Limbaugh is about as pertinent to modern politics as the horse and buggy is to modern transportation. He now is resorting to hijinx instead of discussing issues (not that he did that before, mind you). Nobody takes him seriously anymore. I think, as I observe, that most people look at him a little sadly, a man who could have made a difference, but instead chose to make a mockery of himself.

Apparently you lead a very sheltered life. Unless your observations take place in a dark closet, or Islamberg.

Guest Guest
Apparently you lead a very sheltered life. Unless your observations take place in a dark closet, or Islamberg.

No, I do not, but it is VERY apparent that you do. You seem to be one of the few people left who insist on drinking the Limbaugh Kool-Aid. Good luck with that.

@

Guest Guest
No, I do not, but it is VERY apparent that you do. You seem to be one of the few people left who insist on drinking the Limbaugh Kool-Aid. Good luck with that.

@

You are laughable as portrayed on everyone of the DNC networks (abc-cbs-nbc-cnn-msnbc-cnbc-pbs) for the last 4 weeks they hyperventilate on every word that rush speaks. He is the DNC biggest worry other than the fact that the people in this country have actually figured out what their two star candidates are really all about.

Can You say OPERATION CHAOS!!!!!!!!!

The American way of helping a liberal destroy a liberal.

Guest Guest

One incident??? ONE????

Are you really that far out of touch with what's been going on in Iraq for 5 years?? Does TWC have a 24/7 Rush Channel now that you watch 12 hours a day?

Guest StillLaughing
You are laughable as portrayed on everyone of the DNC networks (abc-cbs-nbc-cnn-msnbc-cnbc-pbs) for the last 4 weeks they hyperventilate on every word that rush speaks. He is the DNC biggest worry other than the fact that the people in this country have actually figured out what their two star candidates are really all about.

Can You say OPERATION CHAOS!!!!!!!!!

The American way of helping a liberal destroy a liberal.

Wow, already about half-way through that pitcher of Kook, er, Kool-Aid. Keep drinkin'!

I am neither a democrat nor would my views be considered liberal. Unlike you, I can think freely for myself without having a political party or an overweight has-been on the radio telling me what I should think.

Keep it up, and you'll keep us laughing. Thanks!

Guest Guest
Wow, already about half-way through that pitcher of Kook, er, Kool-Aid. Keep drinkin'!

I am neither a democrat nor would my views be considered liberal. Unlike you, I can think freely for myself without having a political party or an overweight has-been on the radio telling me what I should think.

Keep it up, and you'll keep us laughing. Thanks!

STFU YOU LIEING SACK OF HOCKIE

Archived