How did you get your nickname

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Almost everyone who grew up in Binghamton has one. How did they get the nicknames? Any really funny stories?

Some still go by their nickname even into their adult life. Why?

Guest Guest

I never liked this nickname because it evolved from derisiveness, but it is kind of interesting how it did evolve to its final form, so i'll share it.

In junior high school, well over 35 years ago, I used to get a really bad case of chapped lips in the winter time. Not only would they be badly chapped, my lips seemed to expand and tale on new territory.

Some guy who for some reason unknown to me loved to pick on me, took on calling me "double lips" as an insult.

That quickly evolved to "barn lips". That one stayed around a while, maybe a whole school year, maybe two, but it was always used in an insulting/derisive manner.

It then took on its final form as "Barney" (where eventually most people had no idea at all where it came from nor why I was known as "Barney", thus it was no longer derisive, it was purely a nickname. It still bothered me though because of how it came to be, I just couldn't get past that).

So, my longest lasting nickname was "Barney".

There was however one person who continued to use it ("Barney") in a derisive manner as he was one of the first and sometimes even used the original "double lips" years after that one faded into history. I continually told him to stop. Finally, when I was unquestionably larger and stronger than him, in a bar one night (we were probably 19) he gave me a derisive hell ("Hey Barnlips!"). Next thing he knew he was up against a wall and his feet were no longer touching the ground and I sternly told him "My name is Mike, got it!?". He got it.

Mike

@

Archived