Here is what a STEADY RED traffic light means

Guest Line Judge

Guest Line Judge

Here is what a STEADY RED traffic light means:

STEADY RED: Stop. Do not go until the light is green. If a green arrow is shown with the red light, you may go only in the direction of the arrow and only if the way is clear.

You may make a right turn at a steady red light after coming to a full stop and yielding the right-of-way to oncoming traffic and pedestrians. You may make a left turn at a steady red light when turning from a one-way road into another one-way road after coming to a full stop and yielding the right-of-way to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.

You may not make a turn at a red light if there is a NO TURN ON RED sign posted, or another sign, signal or pavement marking prohibits the turn. Also, turning on a red light is not allowed in New York City unless a sign is posted permitting it.

Apparently this information isn't abundantly clear in this area.

Guest Reddi Kilowatt

I was told when I took my driver's education course, that if a red light stay's red for too long, to treat it as a '4 way stop' look both way's, and then proceed if it's safe to do so.

@

I was told when I took my driver's education course, that if a red light stay's red for too long, to treat it as a '4 way stop' look both way's, and then proceed if it's safe to do so.

@

I agree completely, if you've come to a stop in the intersection and it is safe to proceed (no cars approaching intersection) it should be legal to continue on your way. Unfortunately it is against the law right now, so just make sure you do a 360 degree visual scan for police cars and you should be in the clear. Don't worry about cameras, they can't get you a traffic ticket around here.

Drive safe

Guest dumb drivers

STEADY RED: Stop. Do not go until the light is green. If a green arrow is shown with the red light, you may go only in the direction of the arrow and only if the way is clear.

You may make a right turn at a steady red light after coming to a full stop and yielding the right-of-way to oncoming traffic and pedestrians. You may make a left turn at a steady red light when turning from a one-way road into another one-way road after coming to a full stop and yielding the right-of-way to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.

You may not make a turn at a red light if there is a NO TURN ON RED sign posted, or another sign, signal or pavement marking prohibits the turn. Also, turning on a red light is not allowed in New York City unless a sign is posted permitting it.

Does this guy do it right? :blink::blink::blink:

Guest Guest

Lately I've seen lots of dumb young white girls driving with cel phones stuck to their skulls, driving right through stop signs and rolling through red traffic lights.

Guest Guest
Lately I've seen lots of dumb young white girls driving with cel phones stuck to their skulls, driving right through stop signs and rolling through red traffic lights.

If the dumb white girl only had a fro , she could stick the cell phone in it and be legal . :blink:

@

Guest Line Judge

<sigh> cell phones, yes, but that's for another thread......they really need to work on the enforcement of that law........ when you see people yakking on the cell for 7-8 exits worth, then you know it's not an emergency.......

Stop on red, then wait for traffic......maybe doing so without flippin off the people going through the intersection at the speed limit.

Guest Guest

Red lights depend on where you are.

If you are within 100 feet of a light turning red, you are to increase speed to get through the intersection. Go twice as fast if you are 200 feet away.

Guest Guest

Forget the red light crap! That is nothing compared to people turning onto the road you are on and TAKING UP HALF OF YOUR LANE TO MAKE THE TURN!

I HATE THAT! WTF IS THE PROBLEM PEOPLE!

Make the turn and stay in your own DELETED ' lane!!!!

IDIOTS!!!!!

THAT JUST DELETED ME OFF!

Oh -- gotta go -- I think my coffee is ready.

Alot of crazey divers out there. Gotta go go go and pretty soon they wont be go go going be around a pole or even upside down or maybe even hurting someone and them self.....NOT WORTH TAKING CHANCES. STOP ON RED LOOK ALL WAYS GO ON GREEN.....SLOW !!!

Guest Guest

Here's a rule you teach your children when learning how to drive. If there was someone beating you with a large stick would you want them to STOP or SLOW DOWN? That should get the message through and hopefully make them understand the difference. :P

@

Guest jjamessss

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Archived