Warning: new panhandling scheme by bums

Guest Panny Handler

Guest Panny Handler

I was at the Quikfill on Main St. a block away from Glenwood this afternoon.

I bought my stuff and got back in my car. As I closed the door, a Latino looking man approached me with a piece of paper in his hands and mouthed the words "Can I ask you a favor?"

Like I didn't know what the "favor" would be.

He holds up what appears to be a grocery list written in huge type on a single sheet of paper. I'm guessing the large type was intended that people be able to read it quickly, and from a distance of more than a foot. No one writes grocery lists like that, but.......

I rolled down my window.

The list had "can of corn" and "_______ potatoes" on it.

It became evident as he opened his mouth and couldn't form any words that he was stoopit drunk. He slurred out something about me giving him $2. He thrust the list up to where the list items would be clearly visible to me, but his hands jerked as he staggered a bit.

I told him I had just spent my last dollar in the store. He was stupified, as if he'd never heard that one before.

Bums are getting more and more resourceful, and more plentiful around here.

You don't see too many of the "will work for food" placards on the side of the roads anymore.

That small section of town seems to be a favorite of the bums. I was solicited in the Giant parking lot not long ago by some slovenly creep with a tale about feeding his kids, or some such crap.

This my cautionary tale to you working people of Binghamton: the bums have hit another creative streak after wearing out the last few.

Know what's coming your way when you see a mangy lowlife with a piece of paper in his hands.

Guest Guest

We stopped at the Giant on Robinson Street about 12:30 on our way back from PA and we were approached by this guy looking for a hand out. As normal, we ignored him. He grabbed my wife's right arm and as he did she spun around to the left and ended up kicking him really hard right where it counts. This guy hit the pavement faster then crap in a bucket in the dead of winter. As that happened, she grabbed the small can of pepper spray and was ready to give him a good one when I grabbed her hand and stopped it. This guy just looked at her with a look like was blank.

My wife stand about 5' 10" and is about 150. She works out a lot and in very good shape and knows how to protect herself.

We went into the store, got the fresh fish for the bbq, and left. This guy was sitting there with this "oh my ba**s are killing me" look and as we passed he said, "get away from me" and all i could do was say -- " never mess with people you don't know.

Gotta love a woman who moves fast and hits hard. :lol::lol::lol:

Guest Benni Booboo

The best way to help is to give information. Never give money. There is no reason for people to not have a meal. The salvation army provides breakfast @ 9 and dinner at 5. There is the Catholic Charities food pantry, Salvation Army pantry and CHOW (with a referral) and many more churches. If they need assistance, Mental Health Association has advocacy walk in hours Tuesday and Thursdays from 12 - 2, or they can call m-f during working hours for referral information. Also, MHA has the Beacon Drop in Center for mentally ill and homeless on the weekends which provides meals and hygiene products for those in need. There is always the rescue mission and for more resources contact First Call for Help 729-9100.

Guest Guest

The "disabled vetern" that used to be on J--F--B accosted me on Wash. Ave in Endicott needing help with this well worn prescription for medicine for his foot.

I thought about taking him by the hand (yuck) and walking him over to the CVS where'd I buy the meds for him but I figured the prescription would be

too old --

Guest Guest
The best way to help is to give information. Never give money. There is no reason for people to not have a meal. The salvation army provides breakfast @ 9 and dinner at 5. There is the Catholic Charities food pantry, Salvation Army pantry and CHOW (with a referral) and many more churches. If they need assistance, Mental Health Association has advocacy walk in hours Tuesday and Thursdays from 12 - 2, or they can call m-f during working hours for referral information. Also, MHA has the Beacon Drop in Center for mentally ill and homeless on the weekends which provides meals and hygiene products for those in need. There is always the rescue mission and for more resources contact First Call for Help 729-9100.

I'm the OP.

I tend to doubt that many of these panhandlers are unaware of where to get their next meal, or find a warm bed for the night or the week.

The guy who came up to me was looking for cold, hard cash that he could spend on a 40 oz. bottle.

I'd bet that 99% of all panhandlers also are looking for a drink or a fix.

@

Guest Guest

I was appraoched by an honest panhandler once:

"Sir" he said "could I have a couple of bucks for a drink?"

I looked at him and said "No, how do I know you are not going to spend it on food?"

Guest Guest
I was appraoched by an honest panhandler once:

"Sir" he said "could I have a couple of bucks for a drink?"

I looked at him and said "No, how do I know you are not going to spend it on food?"

I know a guy who when asked for a couple of bucks says... "Yes I do - do you have change for a twenty"

@

Guest charity
I know a guy who when asked for a couple of bucks says... "Yes I do - do you have change for a twenty"

@

i tend to be more traditional. i just break out the UNICEF can and start pounding the pavement.

I was at the Quikfill on Main St. a block away from Glenwood this afternoon.

I bought my stuff and got back in my car. As I closed the door, a Latino looking man approached me with a piece of paper in his hands and mouthed the words "Can I ask you a favor?"

Like I didn't know what the "favor" would be.

He holds up what appears to be a grocery list written in huge type on a single sheet of paper. I'm guessing the large type was intended that people be able to read it quickly, and from a distance of more than a foot. No one writes grocery lists like that, but.......

I rolled down my window.

The list had "can of corn" and "_______ potatoes" on it.

It became evident as he opened his mouth and couldn't form any words that he was stoopit drunk. He slurred out something about me giving him $2. He thrust the list up to where the list items would be clearly visible to me, but his hands jerked as he staggered a bit.

I told him I had just spent my last dollar in the store. He was stupified, as if he'd never heard that one before.

Bums are getting more and more resourceful, and more plentiful around here.

You don't see too many of the "will work for food" placards on the side of the roads anymore.

That small section of town seems to be a favorite of the bums. I was solicited in the Giant parking lot not long ago by some slovenly creep with a tale about feeding his kids, or some such crap.

This my cautionary tale to you working people of Binghamton: the bums have hit another creative streak after wearing out the last few.

Know what's coming your way when you see a mangy lowlife with a piece of paper in his hands.

A couple of years ago I was having a cup of coffee by my front fence, it was a nice summer morning and quiet when a passing man asked me if he could have a sip of my coffee. Talk about being dumb struck, I said no. At least he was sober.

A couple of years ago I was having a cup of coffee by my front fence, it was a nice summer morning and quiet when a passing man asked me if he could have a sip of my coffee. Talk about being dumb struck, I said no. At least he was sober.

Really??? :o I'd have been dumbstruck too!

I'm the OP.

I tend to doubt that many of these panhandlers are unaware of where to get their next meal, or find a warm bed for the night or the week.

The guy who came up to me was looking for cold, hard cash that he could spend on a 40 oz. bottle.

I'd bet that 99% of all panhandlers also are looking for a drink or a fix.

@

I was walking my dog when I ran into this person who was in very bad shape, I knew his brothers better than I knew him He did not ask me for money but he said hello. He drank very heavily and was very hung over. He chose this lifestyle and I was not going to judge him. I gave him some money knowing it would go for booze. Two weeks later they found his body in the river by westover. I guess you could call that assisted suicide.

We stopped at the Giant on Robinson Street about 12:30 on our way back from PA and we were approached by this guy looking for a hand out. As normal, we ignored him. He grabbed my wife's right arm and as he did she spun around to the left and ended up kicking him really hard right where it counts. This guy hit the pavement faster then crap in a bucket in the dead of winter. As that happened, she grabbed the small can of pepper spray and was ready to give him a good one when I grabbed her hand and stopped it. This guy just looked at her with a look like was blank.

My wife stand about 5' 10" and is about 150. She works out a lot and in very good shape and knows how to protect herself.

We went into the store, got the fresh fish for the bbq, and left. This guy was sitting there with this "oh my ba**s are killing me" look and as we passed he said, "get away from me" and all i could do was say -- " never mess with people you don't know.

Gotta love a woman who moves fast and hits hard. :lol::lol::lol:

just keep in mind that these peolple don't always work alone. the first thing i do when these scumbags approach me is scan the area for their accomplice. more often than not their working in pairs.

@

Archived