How do people work from home?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest-country girl-*

I worked in an office for years and then they started sending people home to work because it is less expensive for them and gives them that extra space to be used for other things. I switched employers and still work from home. The work that I do is actually from outside of NYS. Also, I am self employed in addition to my other job that I mentioned.

Guest Guest

I have worked from home for the past 5 years for two different employers.

The first job was good. (BTW Country Girl -- I wonder if you work for the company I used to work for!)

However, the company does not provide any benefits (no health care, paid time off, etc.) Even with those drawbacks, the opportunity to work from home was well worth it.

I was subsequently approached by another, very large company, that was interested in my experience. Although they do not currently have people work from home, they were willing to take a chance on me ng to pay me a lot more than the current company I was working for. Plus they provide full benefits -- just as if I were working in the office. I go to the office about once a month to touch base, etc.

Little by little, companies are seeing the value of having employees work from home. It is a lot cheaper for them. But I have to tell you, it takes a great deal of discipline and you have to be extremely self-motivated.

I also should note, both companies are located out of state.

I would definitely NOT take any job where you have to pay anything to the company in order to work for them. Keep your eyes open, keep your skills up to date, and network.

@

Guest Guest-country girl-*
(BTW Country Girl -- I wonder if you work for the company I used to work for!)

@

Is it in the medical field?

Guest Guest

I work from home 2-3 days a week. It makes no sense to take up valuable office space and commutimg time when almost everything that I do can be done effectively remotely. Of course, I don't live in Binghamton any more.

@

Guest Guest

With the price of gas and overhead cost this makes sense to me. I wish more companies did this. I work at a local hospital and unfortunately I cant work from home with my job. I work in the ER.

Archived