One shot!

Guest Take your time

Guest Take your time

olice: Man killed himself

StoryChat Post CommentStoryChat

STAMFORD An autopsy Friday revealed that a self-inflicted gunshot wound instantly killed a 41-year-old Stamford man who pointed a gun at a trooper in Delaware County.

Dr. James Terzian, a pathologist at Lourdes Hospital in Binghamton, said police hit Dale A. Rossman, of Hobart Lane, with one bullet in the leg, but the injury was non-fatal.

State police said Trooper Matthew J. Gombosi discharged eight rounds at Rossman after Rossman pointed a gun at the trooper.

Police report Gombosi fired his weapon as Rossman simultaneously discharged one round from his weapon to his head, resulting in his own death.

Police said the investigation supports Gombosi was justified in his actions.

Before Rossman shot himself, he shot Connie L. Merwin, 35, in the abdomen with a .44 caliber handgun at her residence on Ferris Hill Road, Grand Gorge, at approximately 5 p.m. Thursday, police said.

She was hospitalized at Albany Medical Center and was expected to recover from her injuries.

Rossman fled the residence after shooting Merwin and was spotted by Troopers David J. Morgan and Gombosi in the Village of Stamford. The troopers attempted to stop Rossman, but he failed to comply, said police. They then followed Rossman to his residence.

Last year in April, Gombosi was shot in the chest by Travis D. Trim in Margaretville, Delaware County, an incident that eventually led to a shootout and the death of Trooper David C. Brinkerhoff.

--Eric Reinagel

I'm really surprised that many shots were fired and no hits? Where did they go? Being a past law enforcement person, we were always told to shoot for the k-5 kill zone, military and civilian training.

I'm really surprised at the Trooper for doing this especially after all the extensive training.

Thank god he didn't stop to pick up the brass :( This was a bad practice for a lot of troops during range time. Pick up your brass! Unfortunately people died out in the field because of this practice from the range.

My old Sergeant Tom Paglia once told me, if I don't see dirty boots during a rain storm when you’re getting out of a car on traffic stop, you're not doing your job properly; you’re worried about getting you boots messed up and not watching the suspect. Same applies to gun fights at really short distances. Take your time, breath and aim to kill. ;)

Did you know the distance between the cop and suspect ( IF SO HOW ) , or are you just speculating ? You make it sound like this hero of a trooper , done something wrong . You may have been trained , but each incident and circumstances are different . The wacko is dead and the woman will live . But , you RAMBO , have a problem with the way it turned out ..

Guest Guest
Also you wrote -- Take your time, breath and aim to kill.

In the mean time , the criminal has a bead on you , and is ready to send a piece of lead that is traveling at 1700 ft. per second , into your head .

OK WAR HERO :blink:

@

Go back and watch cops. Ignorant statement you made. If you knew what was going on, you would know proper procedures. Did you ever receive training other than the civil air patrol or boy scouts?

@

Guest Guest
Go back and watch cops. Ignorant statement you made. If you knew what was going on, you would know proper procedures. Did you ever receive training other than the civil air patrol or boy scouts?

@

Were you at the scene ?

Archived