PSB HOSES READERS

Ed Arzouian

Why can't the Press & Sun-Bulletin be honest with its readers?

The water rate increase is not only 30% this year and 10% next year.

Give people the real numbers.

The Water rate has gone from $1.65 when Ryan took office to $2.99 he propses by August 2009.

THAT IS 81%, NOT 43% LIKE THE PSB MAKES IT SOUNDS. An eighty-one percent increase.

Why is this newspaper a propaganda tool for the incompetent Mathew T. Ryan administration at City Hall?

Why does the Press Sun-Bulletin fail to meet its civic responsibilities and abdicate its duties to its readers?

Is it because of Executive Editor Calvin Stovall and his biased and slanted news coverage and censorship?

Ryan tries to makes us a believe a 300% increase in chemical responsible for the increase. Why doesn't he say the costs really went from $33,000 to $100,000? Because then he cannot explain why he needs a surplus of about $2,000,000 (tweo million) per year every year.

There is absolutely no reason for such a large increase except for Ryan and his cronies to raid the water fund with pumped up drawdowns for other city services. Ryan will milk the Water Fund dry to a pay for his waste and mismanagment elsewhere.

It is all a hidden tax.

The NYS Comptroller should be asked to step in and investigate this increase and what is happening at the Water Department.

EDITORIALS

Posted Sunday April 20, 2008

EDITORIAL: Scofflaws must pay before taxpayers do

Crackdown from city should accompany water rate hike

It's good to know the City of Binghamton administration is looking at ways to solve its water woes, but the proof, as always, will be in the performance.

The problems are not new, nor are they uncommon in aging Northeast cities where infrastructure has often been short-changed, even though basic services -- police and fire protection, water and sewage services, good roads and sound bridges -- are things most people are willing to pay for, equitably, through taxes or fees.

Cities like Binghamton have a delicate balance to maintain between fees and services, lest more residents decide that the former do not justify the latter. But in trying to keep costs down, municipal officials sometimes neglect essential chores like maintaining the infrastructure. But of course that's only a guarantee of even bigger chores, and higher costs, down the road.

A decade ago, the city found itself staring at a 40 percent rate increase for water and sewer bills because the water plant needed major repairs and it was paying steep interest on the millions it had borrowed to rebuild its reservoirs. This year, city officials are proposing a 30 percent rate increase this year and another 10 percent next year to offset increased operating costs and declining water use which has created a deficit.

A decade ago, there was a discussion about privatization when a Texas-based firm offered to take control. But there were serious questions about that proposal -- including whether the city or private company would set the rates, how well a private firm would respond in an emergency, and where city residents would turn to resolve a problem -- and the generally unsatisfactory answers KO'd the notion. The answer then was to bond for the repairs and avoid a large percentage jump in the water rates.

At present, another complicating factor is the $1.43 million in uncollected water bills. Some 1,500 users -- better than 10 percent of the city total -- didn't pay their fair share last year. The cost of collecting from the deadbeats is one that officials could avoid with stricter enforcement of the city's own laws, which require shutoff of water service after 30 days of non-payment.

That's too strict, some people argue. Well, laxity sure isn't the answer.

It punishes tenants for landlord behavior, others argue. Well, allowing scofflaws to skate punishes every other taxpayer. And there's a difference between an occasional tardy payment and a serial scofflaw -- and the city knows exactly who has earned that description.

The average taxpayer might not like the water rate increase, but given a rational and honest explanation -- and good service -- he or she can cope with it. But a water rate increase when so many people are not being held accountable seems like insult added to injury.

Whatever other improvements the city makes in its water system, it had better scrub away the scofflaws.

Guest Guest666

Hey Loony Arzoony:

Would that be your boss...the KRADJIANS the PSB is talking about in that editorial? You know, the SERIAL SCOFFLAWS who refuse to pay their water bills on time, thus causing problems and increased costs for eveyone else? Hmmmmmmmm?

To post this editorial and claim that it makes RYAN look bad just shows that you have NO SHAME and will let no opportunity to lie and distort the facts pass you by. It also shows that you are deluded enough to think the rest of us can't see through your BS, even when it is staring at us in black and white.

I don't know, maybe it was all that cocaine you snorted in Canada. I just pray they took your guns away when they locked you up.

Guest Guest
Hey Loony Arzoony:

Would that be your boss...the KRADJIANS the PSB is talking about in that editorial? You know, the SERIAL SCOFFLAWS who refuse to pay their water bills on time, thus causing problems and increased costs for eveyone else? Hmmmmmmmm?

To post this editorial and claim that it makes RYAN look bad just shows that you have NO SHAME and will let no opportunity to lie and distort the facts pass you by. It also shows that you are deluded enough to think the rest of us can't see through your BS, even when it is staring at us in black and white.

I don't know, maybe it was all that cocaine you snorted in Canada. I just pray they took your guns away when they locked you up.

Why aren't you concerned with these below guys who own more, or the other 1400 people on the list?

Why are you targeting only one user?

Tax Map ID Owner's name, as listed on water bill Amount owed

03-0018-050 Cohanim Realty Corp $66,099.68

04-0003-001 Linko Technology Center Inc $38,189.83

03-0003-063 Kra Sall Corporation $16,184.61

08-0002-090 Binghamton Associates LLC $16,072.64

10-0002-042 A B C Housing Dev Fund Co $15,831.77

02-0004-059 1388 LLC $14,463.38

08-0002-084 19 Chenango Street Inc $11,280.45

08-0001-027 Chang's Realty Corp $11,267.49

08-0002-200 Binghamton Associates LLC $10,236.39

11-0001-016 Belcher John C $8,923.24

03-0002-001 ETS Realty Corporation $8,869.46

09-0006-028 Greater Binghamton Dev., LLC $6,994.82

08-0001-031 139 Washington Street LLC $6,967.53

09-0003-009 218 Water Street LLC $6,878.98

08-0001-087 People of the State of NY/BU $6,871.40

09-0006-070 Metrocenter Assoc, LLC $6,220.76

Guest Guest
Hey Loony Arzoony:

Ed can't say anything about his bosses the Kradjians. They pay him to sit on the internet all day, so they can get revenge for getting crushed and fully rejected in the 2005 election.

it is funny how this gets turned into an ed's bosses thing. the kradjians are only one of thousands to not pay the water bill as of yet. the kradjians didn't increase the water rates....the kradjians didn't raise our taxes again....the kradjians are not throwing our tax money away instead of fixing the infastructure of the city. the city wants to build a roundabout, but leave the rest of the streets with potholes big enough to bury an elephant in. the city is being run poorly and ed or the kradjians have anything to do with that. you can thank the mayor "table stealer" ryan and the puupet clowns on city council.

Guest Guest

"the kradjians are not throwing our tax money away instead of fixing the infastructure of the city"

I WOULD MOST CERTAINLY HAVE TO SAY THAT SPENDING/WASTING $2 MILLION DOLLARS ON THE GOODWILL THEATER WOULD BE MUCH BETTER SPENT ON THE CITY'S INFASTRUCTURE.

"the kradjians are not throwing our tax money away instead of fixing the infastructure of the city"

I WOULD MOST CERTAINLY HAVE TO SAY THAT SPENDING/WASTING $2 MILLION DOLLARS ON THE GOODWILL THEATER WOULD BE MUCH BETTER SPENT ON THE CITY'S INFASTRUCTURE.

The Goodwill Theatre is not in Binghamton, fool.

Not a penny of City of Binghamton money has been spent on The Goodwill Theatre.

But again, I ask, why are you not concerned about these other delinquent accounts which are all greater than Kradro's, whch BTW, is being paid, isn't it?

Why are not not concerned about 1499 other people?

Why aren't you concerned with these below guys who own more, or the other 1400 people on the list?

Guest Guest
The Goodwill Theatre is not in Binghamton, fool.

Not a penny of City of Binghamton money has been spent on The Goodwill Theatre.

But again, I ask, why are you not concerned about these other delinquent accounts which are all greater than Kradro's, whch BTW, is being paid, isn't it?

Why are not not concerned about 1499 other people?

JC'S INFASTRUCTURE FOOL!!

GREATER BING INFASTRUCTURE FOOL!!

WHAT?? U DON'T CARE ABOUT JC? HAVEING TO MUCH FUN SLURPING UP LEWI'S LOVE LOAD??

U MAKE ME SIC ED.....

JC'S INFASTRUCTURE FOOL!!

GREATER BING INFASTRUCTURE FOOL!!

WHAT?? U DON'T CARE ABOUT JC? HAVEING TO MUCH FUN SLURPING UP LEWI'S LOVE LOAD??

U MAKE ME SIC ED.....

You are obviously PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!!! :wacko:

Guest paul Stanley

I am confused. Where in the Press have they given false facts? is the rate increase over the next 2 years not around 40%? I realize it will have increased 81% over Ryans whole term....but you are making it sound like the Press is lying about the numbers. As far as I can tell....THEY ARENT!!!!

The paper certainly deserves indictment when they do something wrong...but i just fail to see what they have said in this case that isnt true. Can someone help me out here?

@

Guest Guest

Lets check the records first before we go on to say what the mighty Kradjean family has done for the best interest of the City of Binghamton. How much BDLC money have they taken or and other hand outs from the taxpayers?

How many rundown properties do they hold that look as bad as many on Steve Jensens list?

Bates Troy is building a huge structure to theyre plant, with whose money?

I like thiis "Kradjian" concept, like it is a monotholic structure.

I wonder how people here would like to be lumped in with every relative they have ever known?

There is one company on 1500 that one Kradjian and other people owns that will pay all its water bill plus fees and penalties. Do you think others on the list of 1500 can say the same?

What a petty, jealous and colosed-minded bunch. You have no hope of ever leaving your gutter so your only alternative is to try and drag everybody else into it.

1500 people on the list and you can only focus on one company.

Pathetic.

Guest Guest666

Loony Arzoony:

When you post here bashing Ryan, do you have a DELETED? Admit it.....you type with one hand, don't you?

No one could be as obsessed with anyone as you are with Ryan unless you are getting some kinky erotic kick from it.

Pervert!

Guest Guest
I am confused. Where in the Press have they given false facts? is the rate increase over the next 2 years not around 40%? I realize it will have increased 81% over Ryans whole term....but you are making it sound like the Press is lying about the numbers. As far as I can tell....THEY ARENT!!!!

The paper certainly deserves indictment when they do something wrong...but i just fail to see what they have said in this case that isnt true. Can someone help me out here?

@

No, the rate increase for two years is actually about 67%.

The Press & Sun-Bulletin has been low-balling the figure by giving it all in smal increments instead of coming out straightforward and giving the full increase.. $1.65 to $2.99 81%.

It is intellectualy dishonest. It is poor reporting.

It is biased in favor of City Hall, not residents.

It is a whitewash.

It is basically propaganda.

Guest Guest

I wonder if The Press & Sun-Bulletin would offer space for a counterpoint to this rose-colored editorial of theirs?

Why can't the Press & Sun-Bulletin be honest with its readers?

The water rate increase is not only 30% this year and 10% next year.

Give people the real numbers.

The Water rate has gone from $1.65 when Ryan took office to $2.99 he propses by August 2009.

THAT IS 81%, NOT 43% LIKE THE PSB MAKES IT SOUNDS. An eighty-one percent increase.

Why is this newspaper a propaganda tool for the incompetent Mathew T. Ryan administration at City Hall?

Why does the Press Sun-Bulletin fail to meet its civic responsibilities and abdicate its duties to its readers?

Is it because of Executive Editor Calvin Stovall and his biased and slanted news coverage and censorship?

Ryan tries to makes us a believe a 300% increase in chemical responsible for the increase. Why doesn't he say the costs really went from $33,000 to $100,000? Because then he cannot explain why he needs a surplus of about $2,000,000 (tweo million) per year every year.

There is absolutely no reason for such a large increase except for Ryan and his cronies to raid the water fund with pumped up drawdowns for other city services. Ryan will milk the Water Fund dry to a pay for his waste and mismanagment elsewhere.

It is all a hidden tax.

The NYS Comptroller should be asked to step in and investigate this increase and what is happening at the Water Department.

EDITORIALS

Posted Sunday April 20, 2008

EDITORIAL: Scofflaws must pay before taxpayers do

Crackdown from city should accompany water rate hike

It's good to know the City of Binghamton administration is looking at ways to solve its water woes, but the proof, as always, will be in the performance.

The problems are not new, nor are they uncommon in aging Northeast cities where infrastructure has often been short-changed, even though basic services -- police and fire protection, water and sewage services, good roads and sound bridges -- are things most people are willing to pay for, equitably, through taxes or fees.

Cities like Binghamton have a delicate balance to maintain between fees and services, lest more residents decide that the former do not justify the latter. But in trying to keep costs down, municipal officials sometimes neglect essential chores like maintaining the infrastructure. But of course that's only a guarantee of even bigger chores, and higher costs, down the road.

A decade ago, the city found itself staring at a 40 percent rate increase for water and sewer bills because the water plant needed major repairs and it was paying steep interest on the millions it had borrowed to rebuild its reservoirs. This year, city officials are proposing a 30 percent rate increase this year and another 10 percent next year to offset increased operating costs and declining water use which has created a deficit.

A decade ago, there was a discussion about privatization when a Texas-based firm offered to take control. But there were serious questions about that proposal -- including whether the city or private company would set the rates, how well a private firm would respond in an emergency, and where city residents would turn to resolve a problem -- and the generally unsatisfactory answers KO'd the notion. The answer then was to bond for the repairs and avoid a large percentage jump in the water rates.

At present, another complicating factor is the $1.43 million in uncollected water bills. Some 1,500 users -- better than 10 percent of the city total -- didn't pay their fair share last year. The cost of collecting from the deadbeats is one that officials could avoid with stricter enforcement of the city's own laws, which require shutoff of water service after 30 days of non-payment.

That's too strict, some people argue. Well, laxity sure isn't the answer.

It punishes tenants for landlord behavior, others argue. Well, allowing scofflaws to skate punishes every other taxpayer. And there's a difference between an occasional tardy payment and a serial scofflaw -- and the city knows exactly who has earned that description.

The average taxpayer might not like the water rate increase, but given a rational and honest explanation -- and good service -- he or she can cope with it. But a water rate increase when so many people are not being held accountable seems like insult added to injury.

Whatever other improvements the city makes in its water system, it had better scrub away the scofflaws.

Guest Guest
I like thiis "Kradjian" concept, like it is a monotholic structure.

I wonder how people here would like to be lumped in with every relative they have ever known?

There is one company on 1500 that one Kradjian and other people owns that will pay all its water bill plus fees and penalties. Do you think others on the list of 1500 can say the same?

What a petty, jealous and colosed-minded bunch. You have no hope of ever leaving your gutter so your only alternative is to try and drag everybody else into it.

1500 people on the list and you can only focus on one company.

Pathetic.

That may be because their errand boy is the one making the biggest stink.

And what's his main solution?

"Volume Discounts" for the large users.

Imagine that...one of the area's biggest corporate welfare pigs advocating for more corporate welfare.

@

Guest Guest

Volume discounts are standard policy in about half the water departments in NYS.

Aren't we being told part of the problem is decreasing water consumptyion? Don't we want to encourage more use?

Is Binghamton, "Open for Business" as Mayor Matthew T. Ryan likes to claim or not?

Look:

Endicott $35 $1.21 $0.88 discount for greater consumption.

Rochester $0.97 $0.83 discount for greater consumption

Utica (Mohawk Valley Water Authority) $2.21~ $2.24~ $1.41~*

discount for greater consumption

Johnson City $20.00 $1.68 $1.55 discount for greater consumption

Conklin $2.55 discount for greater consumption

Cortland $2.00 $1.30 $1.50 discount for greater consumption.

Other rates:

Watertown $1.52

Syracuse $2.02

Vestal $20 $1.48

Guest Guest

So, is Binghamotn open for busines or not?

Volume discounts are standard policy in about half the water departments in NYS.

Aren't we being told part of the problem is decreasing water consumptyion? Don't we want to encourage more use?

Is Binghamton, "Open for Business" as Mayor Matthew T. Ryan likes to claim or not?

Look:

Endicott $35 $1.21 $0.88 discount for greater consumption.

Rochester $0.97 $0.83 discount for greater consumption

Utica (Mohawk Valley Water Authority) $2.21~ $2.24~ $1.41~*

discount for greater consumption

Johnson City $20.00 $1.68 $1.55 discount for greater consumption

Conklin $2.55 discount for greater consumption

Cortland $2.00 $1.30 $1.50 discount for greater consumption.

Other rates:

Watertown $1.52

Syracuse $2.02

Vestal $20 $1.48

Archived