Sex offenders on Binghamton muni wfi?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Monday April 21, 2008

Sex offender MySpace ban passed

A bill that would ban registered sex offenders from social networking Web sites was passed last week by the New York state Assembly.

The Electronic Security and Targeting of Online Predators Act, or e-STOP, co-sponsored by Assemblywoman Donna A. Lupardo, D-Endwell, now awaits Senate approval.

Attorney General Andrew Cuomo visited Binghamton in February to champion the bill, which would ban many sex offenders from sites like Facebook and MySpace, and would require them to list their e-mail addresses and Internet screen names with the state.

—John Hill

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...NEWS10/80421011

STORY CHAT

Post a Comment View All Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How does the City of Binghamton monitor the sex offenders who might be using its free and uncontrolled municipal wireless system for Internet access, you know, the system that was supposed to cost us $15,000 per year for two years but will in fact cost us about $35,000 per year for two years after which it wil most likely collapse.

BTW, Tarik Abdelazim (did you vote for him?) and Mayor Matthew T. Ryan believe that for cash-strapped Binghamton wasting $70,000 on a wifi system that works only downtown in about 16 locations is a good deal.

The question is for whom.....

FYI, for the same money, if it had been done privately, there could have been about 250 locations and the entire city could have been covered and it would have operated for much longer than two years.

Guest Guest
Monday April 21, 2008

Sex offender MySpace ban passed

A bill that would ban registered sex offenders from social networking Web sites was passed last week by the New York state Assembly.

The Electronic Security and Targeting of Online Predators Act, or e-STOP, co-sponsored by Assemblywoman Donna A. Lupardo, D-Endwell, now awaits Senate approval.

Attorney General Andrew Cuomo visited Binghamton in February to champion the bill, which would ban many sex offenders from sites like Facebook and MySpace, and would require them to list their e-mail addresses and Internet screen names with the state.

—John Hill

[url=http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080421/NEWS10/80421011]http://www.pressconnects.com

Don't worry, the wifi doesn't work well enough for anything, sinister or legitimate.@

Guest Guest

I agree it cannot be done publicly for that price but that is what they have wasted trying. They have 16 locations, according to the City web site for the $98,000 they will spend.

Now you can take a large building and the surrouding lot wireless for less than $400. I know we did two buildings.

Had the City given grants to interested businesses they could have installed wireless networks at about 245 location.

245 locations to the city's current 16 locations....

Guest Guest
I agree it cannot be done publicly for that price but that is what they have wasted trying. They have 16 locations, according to the City web site for the $98,000 they will spend.

Now you can take a large building and the surrouding lot wireless for less than $400. I know we did two buildings.

Had the City given grants to interested businesses they could have installed wireless networks at about 245 location.

245 locations to the city's current 16 locations....

I would be intrested to know how you did that.

@

Guest Guest
I would be intrested to know how you did that.

@

Wireles router, a bridge and a repeater. The signal covers two builidng and even the surrounding homes around them because the neighbors tell me they see the singal but it is password protected.

Guest Guest
Wireles router, a bridge and a repeater. The signal covers two builidng and even the surrounding homes around them because the neighbors tell me they see the singal but it is password protected.

yeah whatever

@

yeah whatever

@

So you asked how it was done and then when you get a real answer you don't care?

Figures.

Looks at Tarik Abdelazim's numbers $98,000 for 16 locations, it is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.

What is even worse is that when all across the country other cities, towns and companies were pulling out of muni wifi as fast as they could Tarik and Matthew T. Ryan leapt in with both and they dragged Adjunct Lecturer Angelo Mastrangelo of Binghamton University in with them to authenticate the charade

Now all the city and some of NYS has to pay $98,000 for the folly.

Guest Guest

Ryan probably sent the sex offenders staying with his buddy Tim Grippen at the Dixie Hotel invitations to use the muni wifi so as to minimize their stimatization........

Guest Guest
Sorry for not answering you. Thanks for the information. Could you give some more information as to how many apartments it covers and what brand hardware you used? Also where did you have to place the hardware so it would cover the whole building. Thanks

Guest Guest
Sorry for not answering you. Thanks for the information. Could you give some more information as to how many apartments it covers and what brand hardware you used? Also where did you have to place the hardware so it would cover the whole building. Thanks

LinkSys & NetGear equipment.

Linksys wireless router internally connected to Roadrunner. NetGear bridge and repeaters. We placed the repeater high on the ceiling (13 ft.) in the middle of an open room. It does not cover apartments it covers offices, about 20 of them.

@

Guest Guest
LinkSys & NetGear equipment.

Linksys wireless router internally connected to Roadrunner. NetGear bridge and repeaters. We placed the repeater high on the ceiling (13 ft.) in the middle of an open room. It does not cover apartments it covers offices, about 20 of them.

@

Thanks again,you really seem to know what you're talking about. Would the installation you speak of work if the building had more than 1 floor? Is the installation you're talking about cubicles or are there walls in between that would interfere with the signal?Thanks again.

Guest Guest
Thanks again,you really seem to know what you're talking about. Would the installation you speak of work if the building had more than 1 floor? Is the installation you're talking about cubicles or are there walls in between that would interfere with the signal?Thanks again.

two buildings, three floors, another home three floors, offices (rooms) no cubicles

Guest Guest
two buildings, three floors, another home three floors, offices (rooms) no cubicles
Sounds like exactly what I'm looking to do. Does Time Warner charge you a business rate because of the many users? Do you need a repeater for each floor? Thanks again you've been very helpful.

@

Guest Guest
Sounds like exactly what I'm looking to do. Does Time Warner charge you a business rate because of the many users? Do you need a repeater for each floor? Thanks again you've been very helpful.

@

Business rate yes in one situation no in another.

Don't need a repeater for each floor..

Archived