Eastern Orthodox Easter

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

This Sunday is Easter for all of our Orthodox Christian friends. "Christ is Risen" will be sung

at Resurrection Services and the Great Fast will end. Thank you to all the faithful of the Orthodox faith.

Guest Guest
Does anyone know the differences in the beliefs of the Eastern Orthodox and the Roman Catholics?

As far as Easter is concerned, I think they differ when the passover occurred. I am sure there are at least a couple more but do not know offhand.

@

Guest Guest

They were the same church for the first 1000 years so there must not be too many differences. Seems as though the Orthodox made many less changes in the faith then the Catholic side did. The Jews are having Passover now And the Orthodox Church is having Easter now.

They were the same church for the first 1000 years so there must not be too many differences. Seems as though the Orthodox made many less changes in the faith then the Catholic side did. The Jews are having Passover now And the Orthodox Church is having Easter now.

Partially true. The EO use the Julian calendar while the Catholic use the Gregorian calender so the days fall differently. The Eastern Orthodox and the Catholic Church are Apostolic Churches and can prove it.

However, in terms of other beliefs, the EO split off in 1054 AD because they did not agree with the primacy of Peter and the Roman See and the Filoque statement. Last year, they reneged on that faulty idea, rightfully so. Peter was the Prince of the Apostles and the Roman See was and is the Primary and most important See set up by the Apostles.

Those above are the MAIN differences. In terms of Moral Law, they got off the beaten path and followed the faulty Protestant ideas:

1.) The use of contraception is accepted. The Catholic Church still upholds the ancient beliefs in this area that it is forbidden. Every Christian group denounced contraception until 1939. Modernism poked up it's ugly head.

2.) The EO can marry up to three times without church intervention. Again this is against scripture and Ancient Christianity. A civil divorce does not end a marriage in the eyes of God. Modernism strikes again.

Most common between the EO and Catholic:

Sacraments in BOTH Churches are VALID. Both Churches have valid Holy Orders. Every Bishop in both Churches can trace their lineage straight back to the Apostles. No other Churches are able too.

I believe the Liturgies of St. John Chrysostom, and then St. James of the EO is obviously much more ancient and solemn liturgy than the Norvous Ordo liturgy of the Second Vatican Council. The EO use incense at every Liturgy as well as ancient chanting. I believe it is far more reverent than the current Catholic Mass, even though both do the exact same thing.

@

Archived