WICZ CUTS COVERAGE IN SPORTS

tbrutis1

A lot of people would like to know who the Einstein at WICZ TV40 that decided to dramatically curtail if not eliminate coverage of Major League games. Last week, there was NO results of any Major League Baseball games, except for the score of the Binghamton Mets game. I called up & asked if the Major Leagues had any games that night. Whoever answered the phone, barked "WE ARE A LOCAL STATION THAT ONLY COVERS LOCAL EVENTS" & hung up the phone. What they have on now is an over abundant supply of High school scores of Softball, Lacrossee, etc. It may be OK with some yes, but for the majority of area sports fans, watching a continuous run of scores & video highlights of every school sport, rates with watching grass grow for excitement. I'm not knocking the school sports, but unless you have family in the school events, the games mean squatto.

FOX 40 keeps this up, their news ratings will kamikaze nosedive. Give us the sports results like you used to, ALL of them, not just a select few.

Consider this - you're talking about the lowest-rated show in the local TV ratings, and you're also talking about a show during which sports would come on around 10:20 p.m. If you also consider that their sports people might just have to be "on set" by 10 or shortly thereafter, how many major league final scores are you expecting? Maybe two?

I agree, it would be nice to have at least the NY teams' results, but I really don't have any problem with a small-market station, on the lower end of the ratings, looking to concentrate on local sports. The other stations cover locals, but if it's not football, there's really nothing all that extended about what they do.

That you posted your comment here tells me that you have the Internet, and that you watch Fox 40 says that you have a TV. You could quickly access Yahoo! sports or ESPN.com or MLB.com and get not just scores, but box scores (up to the minute) and on Yahoo, game-long play-by-play. Add to that the fact that on any given night, the local basic cable package offers at least one baseball game, and as many as three or sometimes four, and I guess I'm not sure why you're complaining.

Guest Guest
A lot of people would like to know who the Einstein at WICZ TV40 that decided to dramatically curtail if not eliminate coverage of Major League games.

It's probably more like a handful of people, as most won't care.

There is nothing wrong with them only covering local sports, as you can get the scores you want every freaking ten minutes on about 7 channels on basic cable alone. OR, head to one of hundreds of websites for the same scores.

It's the LOCAL sports you won't easily and swiftly find results of on the internet and they ARE the scores the local TV stations should concentrate on.

The internet has changed everything. 25 years ago your beef would be right on, but today it's full of holes.

Guest Guest

For national sports, the TV viewer has many channels to get the scores and news almost 24 hours a day. Add the internet and you have unlimited sources.

For local sports, you have three sources. The Press, which uploads the new day's edition at 3am each day (except for a few local "big games" which they have score updates occasionally), and then WBNG and WICZ TV.

Considering all that, the local TV stations should prioritize local sports during the sports segment as they are really the only sources for timely news.

Archived