· You will get injured by a toilet this year: 1-in-10,000

The Odds of Winning Jackpot in ...

· Slot machines: 1-in-16,777,216

· Calif. SuperLotto: 1-in-41,416,353

· Powerball: 1-in-146,107,962

· Mega Millions: 1-in-175,711,536

Guest Guest

In the defense of "lottery losers"...

While the odds are more likely to be struck by lightning, I don't see people standing in a field during a thunderstorm even though, odds are, they won't get struck. There is always that chance that you may get struck, and that is why they people stay indoors during a storm...and that's why people buy lottery tickets. Hey, you never know.

Guest Snake Eyes

Those odds are what makes it amazing that anyone does win. However, people have won the lottery and that's the reason why the rest of us play. I can't imagine waking up and reading my numbers as winners, standing in my bathrobe some morning. I wouldn't even care about how much I won, just that my numbers matched the winners, at impossible odds.

The discovery channel has presented the lives of lotto winners and its surprising how many regret winning because it made their lives much worse. One guy, who lived a pretty normal life, wound up committing suicide, after his wife left him and he lost it all.

Money can't buy happiness, but it would be worth a try!

Guest Guest

People whose lives have been ruined (or who ruin them themselves) have been well documented for many years.

The first story I read about it was a survey that claimed 9 out of 10 people said that winning ruined their whole life.

It seems hard to believe until you watch a few documentaries and see the real thing. There are all sorts of problems that you can't even imagine the scope and breadth of that come with winning big.

Everyone always says "Nah. It woudn't hurt me at all." Those people don't have a clue what they're talking about.

A friend of mine's parent won a little less than a mil once years ago. They were fortunate that they managed to deal with it. They bought a nice house and STOPPED. They kept working. Nothing changed except their home. They are in the small minority.

The Odds of dying in a ...

· Flood: 1-in-30,000

· Tornado: 1-in-60,000

· Lightning strike: 1-in-83,930

· Earthquake: 1-in-131,890

· Asteroid impact: 1-in-200,000*

· Tsunami: 1-in-500,000

i do find it interesting that the odds of getting killed by lightning is significantly higher than dying in a tornado. considering that lightning is much more common throughout the world than a tornado is.

@

Guest Elmer

The odds of me eer finding out who you are is even greater like exponentially greater.It is like 1 in 999,999,999,999,999 so I guess it is better to play the lottery than try to guess who you are.And it is only a buck.You must be a Republican ,trying to not let me spend my money the way I want. Go shine your shoes!!!!!!11

Guest Guest

It's only a buck.

What a laugh.

Fat, old people, unemployed losers.....they all stand there for 8 minutes each, picking tickets that end up costing them $12 to $25 every time they go in....and you know they're in there at least once a day.

It's a career for lots of people. They just don't make any money at it. In fact, they lose every dollar they spend. Some people spend money that they should be spending on clothing their kids, or paying electric bills. They move from place to place and never pay NYSEG. That's one reason our rates are so high. Their kids get DELETED and turn criminal. We pay for them in law enforcement, the court system (free legal defense) and overcrowded jails.

Watch them either get out of their rustbucket clunker cars or ride up on a Schwinn from the 1970's.

Sure, it's only a buck.

Hey, at least it's a buck they won't spend on crack or a hooker, right?

Guest Guest

Not to mention that NYS adds to the burgeoning poverty and crime problem. The state is vested in keeping these people poor by keeping them hooked on Lotto Crack. It's jobs for Health Dept. workers, case workers for DSS and WIC.

@

My wife likes to buy a Powerball ticket every once in a while. I know the difference between gambling and investing, but I don't see the harm in spending a few dollars on some lottery tickets.

We try to make a motorcycle ride out of it. It's a nice ride from Chenango Bridge down to Great Bend. Let her get a few quick picks, then walk over to Dunkin Donuts for some coffees and a Boston Cream... then ride back home.

Scott

@

Guest Solomon

Playing the lottery isn't an "all or nothing" gamble, you know. If you can spare a few extra dollars now and then, it's fun to see what you can win just on a scratch-off ticket. At Wegmans two weeks ago someone won $300,000 on a $5 ticket. Sure the odds of that are astronomical but even just doubling or tripling your money is fun, as long as you can afford it and view buying a lottery ticket as entertainment, not as your potential source of income.

Archived