Modified School Sports

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

With all of the youth sports leagues around, do we really need to be burdened with the cost of school modified sports..... I'd like to hear honest opinions..... Thanks !

Guest guest

I guess it depends on the sport. There has been alot of talk of keeping the modified and Varsity programs, and cutting JV in a measure to save money for school districts.

Guest Guest

The biggest problem is many kids, who either can't afford to pay for the programs or who have parents who are interested in supporting their kids, will not play sports. These are kids who might have the potential to become stars, others who might learn from being a member of a team, and for others, it would be a matter of keeping them from being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Kids today are obese and need to get out and play SOMETHING.

The population is getting smaller in each of the towns and villages. It's time to combine the football teams--they are the biggest expensive in the athletic budget.

Guest Guest

Athletics is a mere pitance in the scheme of school budgets yet faces the most fire in times like these.

There will always be a debate as to whether we should keep them or go the way of Europe and let Clubs

develop our athletes.

Issues:

Modified V. Clubs: In some well to do districts club sports would replace the lower levels fine and feed the Varsity/JV program. The problem is in this area more than any other around the state we don't have many well to do districts. Modified sports are more important in the Southern Tier than anywhere else.

Club Sports: while there are many that do a good job there are just as many that don't. The other inherent risk is the fact that background checks aren't a mandatory process there and recent incidents have proven this to be a legitimate concern. The benefit of club sports is that many have very good coaches that can't really coach for a school district for whatever reason be it personal schedule or school politics.

Football: will continue to dominate the media for good and bad reasons.

-Most expensive sport by far

-Most dangerous sport by far, concussions will continue to be in the forefront of Football critiques

-Most popular amongst HS Communities

I can't see schools "doing away with" football but from Pee Wee to the pros the element of the concussion is putting alot of negative focus on the risks associated with playing the game. Kids are soft these days as it is and it wouldn't surprise me to see a drop in participation because some Mother doesn't want her kid's brain scrambled.

Dropping JV: For this area, it is the most viable solution. Make modified include 9th grade when necessary and keep modified. JV athletics is a joke in the IAC, MAC, and starting to be in the STAC. If schools are faced with this decision JV should go before modified. Participation in some sports is so low it is literally impossible to fill a schedule for JV teams. Why kill a developmental level like modified??

Guest Guest

people always say that athletic program budgets in schools are small, but they fail to account for a lot of other factors

- additional salaries/ stipends for coaches

- overtime paid to game supervisors, custodians, bus drivers, etc....

- costs of maintaining fields, etc...

- multimillion dollar building projects- a good chunk of which is focused on establishing athletic facilities which are nicer than private colleges

- substitutes to come in and cover classes when coaches are on the road/ or taking a "mental health" day

- sacrificing more effective teaching candidates in favor of hiring a "coach" who isn't as productive in the classroom

There is just no logic reason to connect competitive sports to free public education. None

Guest Guest

people always say that athletic program budgets in schools are small, but they fail to account for a lot of other factors

- multimillion dollar building projects- a good chunk of which is focused on establishing athletic facilities which are nicer than private colleges

- substitutes to come in and cover classes when coaches are on the road/ or taking a "mental health" day

- sacrificing more effective teaching candidates in favor of hiring a "coach" who isn't as productive in the classroom

There is just no logic reason to connect competitive sports to free public education. None

Other than its the American way, just like Baseball Apple pie and Cheverolet!!

Guest guest

With all of the youth sports leagues around, do we really need to be burdened with the cost of school modified sports..... I'd like to hear honest opinions..... Thanks !

Proven statistics show many more injuries are in soccer than football, where you wear PADDING and a helmet to help prevent injuries, vs a shin guard? But many soccer players do not seek medical assistnace, as it is thought to be a "safe" sport. Basketball, baseball, sotball, running, skiing, weightlifting injuries are seen more in the ER than football injuries. And actually Bicyclists suffer the most injuries over all other sports.

Football: will continue to dominate the media for good and bad reasons.

-Most expensive sport by far

-Most dangerous sport by far, concussions will continue to be in the forefront of Football critiques

-Most popular amongst HS Communities

I can't see schools "doing away with" football but from Pee Wee to the pros the element of the concussion is putting alot of negative focus on the risks associated with playing the game. Kids are soft these days as it is and it wouldn't surprise me to see a drop in participation because some Mother doesn't want her kid's brain scrambled.

Guest lives in the real world

last time I checked, the biggest portion of MY district's budget went to salaries/pensions/health care. i am all for giving qualified teachers (as well as state, county, federal employees) benefits, but would love for them to feel the pinch I do when I shell out 20k for my family's health insurance. 30 years at my job in the public sector, I do not get sick time, weeks and weeks of vacation, bereavement, etc, and my job is not quaranteed because I toed the line for 3 years to get tenure, then decided to slack off because it would be hard as hell to fire me.

Guest Tenure Police

You sound like a wannbe teacher with the poor grammatical skills and lack of reasonable writing skills that are keeping you from meaningful employment

Guest Guest

You sound like a wannbe teacher with the poor grammatical skills and lack of reasonable writing skills that are keeping you from meaningful employment

Spellcheck lady found this one too

Guest Guest

Sure. End sports at the high school level and you think the teen obesity problem is bad NOW?

Keep cutting athletics folks and buy your kids Xboxes and iPads. Kids will be 20 pounds heavier on the average within 10 years.

Guest Athletic Supporter

If obesity is all you are worried about, then

1- get rid of football where lard asses are needed to sumo wrestle each other in order to gain 3 yards a play

2- start emphasing life sports in PE rather than sports that kids will give up or have limited chance to play beyond hs/college years. Golf (if you walk), tennis, jogging, circuit training, bicycling, roller blading, xc skiing etc. are all sports we should be introducing to our youth so they have activities to enjoy as they age. I can no longer play basketball, softball or touch football due to injuries but wish I knew how to golf or had buddies that could play tennis.

If you get rid of modified sports by the way, you will have to add more police, especially in Binghamton to combat the juvenile delinquency caused by these latchkey kids running wild.

Guest Guest

1- get rid of football where lard asses are needed to sumo wrestle each other in order to gain 3 yards a play

2- start emphasing life sports in PE rather than sports that kids will give up or have limited chance to play beyond hs/college years. Golf (if you walk), tennis, jogging, circuit training, bicycling, roller blading, xc skiing etc. are all sports we should be introducing to our youth so they have activities to enjoy as they age. I can no longer play basketball, softball or touch football due to injuries but wish I knew how to golf or had buddies that could play tennis.

If you get rid of modified sports by the way, you will have to add more police, especially in Binghamton to combat the juvenile delinquency caused by these latchkey kids running wild.

You are correct. Life today is different from what older generations know and talk about; kids are being left more on their own after school and they need to have something to do--sports and other after school activities--rather sitting home alone playing Xbox or in with friends. I don't mind paying taxes to help kids, but what I would mind is having to pay for the social needs--police, etc because of the problems that will happen if there aren't after school activities. The days of one parent staying home is no longer feasible in this economy.

It's also time to rethink contracts and the school year and start looking at combining with other districts.

And, will someone please tell what BOCES does? That is one money maker that rakes in tens of millions of dollars a year from surrounding districts.

Guest Guest

Sure. End sports at the high school level and you think the teen obesity problem is bad NOW?

Keep cutting athletics folks and buy your kids Xboxes and iPads. Kids will be 20 pounds heavier on the average within 10 years.

America leads the world in obesity, and is one of the few that sponsors free athletic programs in schools. Wanna try again?

Guest get real

last time I checked, the biggest portion of MY district's budget went to salaries/pensions/health care. i am all for giving qualified teachers (as well as state, county, federal employees) benefits, but would love for them to feel the pinch I do when I shell out 20k for my family's health insurance. 30 years at my job in the public sector, I do not get sick time, weeks and weeks of vacation, bereavement, etc, and my job is not quaranteed because I toed the line for 3 years to get tenure, then decided to slack off because it would be hard as hell to fire me.

Of course the biggest portion goes to salaries, etc A school is about the teachers and students FIRST. You have to pay teachers and staff, so, well, um, ok, I guess that would be the biggest expense. What SHOULD be the biggest expense and just how little should teachers get pai?

Guest billy hill

You pretty much got it. If we want to combat obesity the most popular sport should be, coincidentally, the cheapest sport- cross-country (and track and field in the spring).

Gym class- definitely should be geared towards healthy, lifetime, fitness sports.

Guest Guest

Children should not be given the chance to participate in sport.

They also should not be given art and music instruction.

The most important issue in education is to reduce cost to the taxpayer in any way possible.

We want them to be able to read and calculate enough to compete with third world workers and nothing more.

Guest Guest

Children should not be given the chance to participate in sport.

They also should not be given art and music instruction.

The most important issue in education is to reduce cost to the taxpayer in any way possible.

We want them to be able to read and calculate enough to compete with third world workers and nothing more.

Not reduce

just not increase every year

Guest Guest

why dont you Get real, I am all for teachers earning a fair wage, and for them paying a fair amount for their benefits, that was the point. I think teachers are under paid salary wise, but are given many benefits that more than make a difference. Add $20k to any of their salaries, and that is medical alone, no eye package. So lets say $25k, sounds pretty fair to me, then add in many other benefits, and its a pretty paycheck, taking up more room than sports programs. Go ahead, tell me about the college tab, bc I had one as well. The sports programs benefit the kids, by giving them a place to learn team work, patience, a work ethic, as well as an avenue to be healthy, and or some, have a shinging moment which may help them get an education.

Lets take away from the kids who are struggling to see where they fit in in a spiraling world, struggling to not go with their friends and do drugs, wanting for a bit of positive attention from a good role model.

Of course the biggest portion goes to salaries, etc A school is about the teachers and students FIRST. You have to pay teachers and staff, so, well, um, ok, I guess that would be the biggest expense. What SHOULD be the biggest expense and just how little should teachers get pai?

Guest Guest

America leads the world in obesity, and is one of the few that sponsors free athletic programs in schools. Wanna try again?

Your silence is deafening

Guest Guest

Teachers are not underpaid. What are their starting salaries in Endicott? If you take into consideration that it is a 9 month position with ALL paid holidays and vacation days off, plus medical and retirement benefits PLUS tenure in 3 years PLUS negotiated raises PLUS $1000 every year when they receive their Master's.

People compare the salaries here against downstate and other Metro areas which is wrong. For the training a teacher receives -- 4 years of undergrad with 1-2 for Masters (and one hopes ongoing professional development) is probably slightly less or the same of comparable careers.

To improve teaching, raise the standards--make it more competitive to get a teaching degree--get the best and the brightest, and then we will talk. I'm tired of the nepotism in teaching and the one phrase the gets the lunkheads into the profession " I want to teach"

Guest Health and fitness expert

High school sports have little to do with the obesity problem in the U.S. The unhealthy American diet is why we lead in obesity. Fast food, too much meat, too much sugar, soda, cookies, candy, doughnuts,

french fries, chicken wings, chips, other junk shacks etc.

Archived