section 4 soccer

Guest soccer

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Elmira Dad

and the best players from all the teams in the section ffor soccer

Vestal has the top retunring players in STAC right behind them would be Alex V from Elmira. I would expect that Vestal will send 3 seniors to college on scholarships. Alex will go D1 if he does not go overseas and sign pro contract right out of college.

Vestal has the top retunring players in STAC right behind them would be Alex V from Elmira. I would expect that Vestal will send 3 seniors to college on scholarships. Alex will go D1 if he does not go overseas and sign pro contract right out of college.

You people make me laugh Rood is by far and away the top HS player in our Section this year. Already committed to his full ride, was the only HS player on the top level team they set up this past year and he started on it almost every game. There is not one kid in Vestal that is close to him this season, and Alex is a joke a crybaby who will be lucky to play in every game with the number of stupid cards he takes

Guest Owego Fan

Rood is clearly the top player in the area. He takes the occasional bozo card as well.

No need to bash anyone else though to promote him.

Problem is that Rood is usually a one man show, shut him down with 3 good defenders then SV is done. Who else do they have that can step it up?

LOL Owego Fan yeah SV sweeps you last year with Rood scoring 2 of the 7 they scored but you are worried they won't have other offense after you shut him down which you never managed to do anyway

• 4 weeks later...

Rood could really go, I thought he was the best.

Funny that the talk is all about Rood when there have been so many other players scoring. Continue to pack the defense on him just be ready for the other players to be wide open and score anyway. SV seems to have finally gotten the idea that all teams focus on Rood and the others around him need to be the ones that scores. I think they have had multiple players have multiple goal games already. We will see how far they can make it, but I would not count them out in the B sectionals at all.

Funny that the talk is all about Rood when there have been so many other players scoring. Continue to pack the defense on him just be ready for the other players to be wide open and score anyway. SV seems to have finally gotten the idea that all teams focus on Rood and the others around him need to be the ones that scores. I think they have had multiple players have multiple goal games already. We will see how far they can make it, but I would not count them out in the B sectionals at all.

Rood is a very quality player, not taking anything away from him. but I think the Varkatzas kid from Elmira is having the best season in STAC right now. He had 15 goals in his first 5 games this season and im' not sure w hat he's done since. To have those type of numbers against MUCH greater competition that SV is playing is outstanding.

Rood is a very quality player, not taking anything away from him. but I think the Varkatzas kid from Elmira is having the best season in STAC right now. He had 15 goals in his first 5 games this season and im' not sure w hat he's done since. To have those type of numbers against MUCH greater competition that SV is playing is outstanding.

Not even close...Rood by a landslide regardless of how many goals Alex has scored.

First of all Rood is a midfielder not a pure striker like Alex, so comparing goal scoring is not an accurate measure of value. If Alex did half the defensive work of Rood you might be able to compare but he doesn't he plays a lone striker in a 4-5-1 and has no defensive responsibilities. Rood may not be a defensive force but he is there at least.

Second as it was said before 6 goals vs Binghamton devalue any stats the kid puts up. Thats 40% of his total vs the worst team in the league no question about it. Rood scored only 2 vs CV when his team won big. SV has played 6 games so far and Rood has scored in all 6, I think he has 13 goals or so and his team is undefeated which is the real goal of a team sport. Elmira has lost 3 of 4 and Alex has been shut out in the 3.

Lastly look at the roster of the GBFC Mens team and see Rood was the only HS player to play substantial minutes with guys who played Pro and high level college. He started all year for the squad and that should say volumes. If D1 and ex pro players are surrounding him and he is a full time player its no mistake to say he is a step above most other HS kids.

Guest section 4

Not even close...Rood by a landslide regardless of how many goals Alex has scored.

First of all Rood is a midfielder not a pure striker like Alex, so comparing goal scoring is not an accurate measure of value. If Alex did half the defensive work of Rood you might be able to compare but he doesn't he plays a lone striker in a 4-5-1 and has no defensive responsibilities. Rood may not be a defensive force but he is there at least.

Second as it was said before 6 goals vs Binghamton devalue any stats the kid puts up. Thats 40% of his total vs the worst team in the league no question about it. Rood scored only 2 vs CV when his team won big. SV has played 6 games so far and Rood has scored in all 6, I think he has 13 goals or so and his team is undefeated which is the real goal of a team sport. Elmira has lost 3 of 4 and Alex has been shut out in the 3.

Lastly look at the roster of the GBFC Mens team and see Rood was the only HS player to play substantial minutes with guys who played Pro and high level college. He started all year for the squad and that should say volumes. If D1 and ex pro players are surrounding him and he is a full time player its no mistake to say he is a step above most other HS kids.

This. ^

Rood's the best player around make no mistake. Kid's a baller he's finishing high school early to join the D1 team in the winter. Watch him play and you know he's special, beyond a doubt the best player in the section possibly the state right now. Incredible talent, no legitimate comparison currently.

This. ^

Rood's the best player around make no mistake. Kid's a baller he's finishing high school early to join the D1 team in the winter. Watch him play and you know he's special, beyond a doubt the best player in the section possibly the state right now. Incredible talent, no legitimate comparison currently.

These responses are ignorant. The poster about Alex V did not say that he's the best player in the area or even better than Rood. It simply stated that Alex is having the better STAC season (which he is).

Elmira has played 9 games. Alex has scored in 7 of them and has 6 multi goal games (including Vestal, M-E).

BTW, Binghamton could beat MOST teams in STAC Central/East.

Um-no way. This Binghamton team is the worst varsity team I have seen in 20 years. Even in the past few years they have had a player or two. This team has not one single player that stands out in any way. The goal keeper is the only thing they have that is close. They might beat a team, maybe two from the East/Central, but no way is it many of those teams. SV would beat Binghamton just as badly as Elmira, ME, Corning, UE, etc.

It is unfair to compare the two players, as they have different skill sets. I will say I would build a team around Rood first, as he is the workhorse, has field vision, foot skills, is a leader, and team player.

These responses are ignorant. The poster about Alex V did not say that he's the best player in the area or even better than Rood. It simply stated that Alex is having the better STAC season (which he is).

Elmira has played 9 games. Alex has scored in 7 of them and has 6 multi goal games (including Vestal, M-E).

BTW, Binghamton could beat MOST teams in STAC Central/East.

Alex is not even close to having the best season in the league right now. The best season currently belongs to Rood who is leading an undefeated squad (once again thats the main goal of soccer to win your team games). He has scored in every game his team has played 7 out of 7 now, while also leading his team in assists from what the stats in the paper have shown.

As for Binghamton winning multiple games in the Central/East, sorry but no. I saw them play CV already and it was a 0-0 draw and CV is the worst team on the other side of the league by far they even lost to Norwich.

Your logic is flawed. If Alex's stats against Bingo devalue his accomplishments, then that could be essentially said about every team SV plays. Listen, i'm not taking away from Rood's play. He's excellent but there is no reason to take away from another player's accomplishments.

Your logic is flawed. If Alex's stats against Bingo devalue his accomplishments, then that could be essentially said about every team SV plays. Listen, i'm not taking away from Rood's play. He's excellent but there is no reason to take away from another player's accomplishments.

No if Alex had scored 2 or 3 vs Binghamton fine, when you run stats up it devalues the amount. He didn't score 6 in 2 games it was over 1/3 of his season total in 1 game. If Rood had put up 7 against Norwich and scored 9 in the rest of his games I would say the same of him. Fact is Rood hasn't put up more than 2 in any game this season he could have easily run up a few more in a few games.

No if Alex had scored 2 or 3 vs Binghamton fine, when you run stats up it devalues the amount. He didn't score 6 in 2 games it was over 1/3 of his season total in 1 game. If Rood had put up 7 against Norwich and scored 9 in the rest of his games I would say the same of him. Fact is Rood hasn't put up more than 2 in any game this season he could have easily run up a few more in a few games.

OK then take away 3 of Varkatzas' goal (that's half of 6). The kid still has 14 goals against AA competition. Outstanding regardless of who you play. Incredible when you consider that competition level.

Archived