Yes, Kim, there are non-essential City workers

Guest Guest

VIEWPOINTS

Posted Wednesday February 13, 2008

Don't tell city workers they're 'non-essential'

In light of the ice storm that hit our area on Feb. 1 and all of the cancellations that ran at the bottom of television sets throughout the day, I have a question:

Listed was one cancellation that said, "City of Binghamton: All non-essential employees need not report." I wonder: When these people were hired, were they informed that they would be non-essential employees?

All employees are essential to something. I found that listing very insulting, and no, I do not work for the city. I am an essential employee elsewhere.

Kim Gulick

Conklin

Post a Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

City Ecomonic Development Officer Merry Harris: non-essential.

City Youth Director Ana Shaelo-Johnson: non-essential.

City Community Relations Director A&W Block: non-essential.

Housing & Planning Director Jim Dessauer: non-essential.

Director of Public Works Luke Day: non-esential (in fact, the Department probably works better if he is absent, his deputies run the show anyway).

Blight Coordinator: non-essential.

Sustainable Develpment Director: non-essential (we don't even know what the person will do/does)

I could go on but you get the idea. There's over $500,000 in salaries and benefits PER YEAR (over $2,000,000 for a four-year term) of non-essential city employees. In fact most of those positions did not even exist two years ago.

PS Look, Kim doesn't live in Binghamton but she is commenting about it. Should somebody tell her that is not allowed? Or can some people comment on what they and and only certain people are not allowed to comment on certain things? Poptart, what do you think?

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...45/1005/OPINION

Did anyone hear about this non-essential expenditure of taxpayer funds in Johnson City?

You mean the one that took a drug-infested crime den in an important historic building, cleaned it up turned the neighborhood around in less than nine months.

No, why don't you tell us about it.

How about the "non essential" dissolution committee? After they are all said and done and find a plan, the village reserves the right to throw out any or all of the findings. Johnson City, you keep looking more like a three ring circus and a laughing stock of the county.

Do you mean that one that is driving up property values all around it?

No, tell us about it.

Yes...the one where naima kradjian and her family used their political connections to secure government grants to drive up the value of THEIR real estate holdings in the area around the theater?

Is that the project you're referring to?

They bought the properties around the theater in advance of their decision to pursue The Goodwill Theater project...then they set about getting government money (in return for running for mayor...party approved candidates who fail are always rewarded with goodies afterward) to create a "buzz" about a "theater district" in order to help them flip the real estate.

See how it works?

Naima is no different than Mary Clark...she can just afford nicer shoes.

Kim's letter gave me a good laugh this morning. Non-essential is a classification given to government employees from the top down. There are plenty of non-essential employees at the federal, state, county, and local level.

I've also heard "outrage" over second class cities law in New York. The term doesn't literally mean a city is second class...... If people would simply spend a little time researching these things they could save themselves some embarrassment.

Yes...the one where naima kradjian and her family used their political connections to secure government grants to drive up the value of THEIR real estate holdings in the area around the theater?

Is that the project you're referring to?

They bought the properties around the theater in advance of their decision to pursue The Goodwill Theater project...then they set about getting government money (in return for running for mayor...party approved candidates who fail are always rewarded with goodies afterward) to create a "buzz" about a "theater district" in order to help them flip the real estate.

See how it works?

Naima is no different than Mary Clark...she can just afford nicer shoes.

What buildings do they own???

Guest Facts Are Better
Non-essential employees are employees that don't deal with snow and ice removal.

Exactly...

For those wondering, it means if you are not an essential part of clean up or safety to the community, they want to see you safe at home, not becoming a reason for the emergency personnel to come out.

Archived