CBSNews - Jones brothers on their fight for Super Bowl bid

Guest Guest

They had this on CBS This Morning this morning...Not sure if the video clip will be available

http://www.cbsnews.c...super-bowl-bid/

(CBS News) The last stop before Super Bowl XLVII is this Sunday's conference championships, and the AFC match-up features a sibling rivalry: Chandler Jones of the Patriots will battle his big brother, Arthur Jones of the Ravens.

But, as CBS News learned, no matter the final score, it will be an emotional game for the entire Jones family.

The brothers were once college teammates, but they'll find themselves on opposite sides. Chandler Jones said of the upcoming game, "This is a great experience to play against my brother. (I'm) truly blessed and fortunate."

As for Arthur Jones, he said he's not going to lie: "It's personal," he said. "This game means a lot to me."

Their parents, Arthur and Camille Jones of Endicott, N.Y., will cheer for both sons.

Arthur Sr. said this Sunday will be filled with a lot of adrenaline and pressure. He said, "It's like you're almost out there playing yourself."

Camille Jones still calls her sons by pet names. Chandler Jones' comes from his happy-go-lucky attitude as a kid: "I call him 'mommy's little smurf' -- yes I said it on national TV -- 'mommy's smurf!'"

As for Arthur Jones, his is "my little cuddly luddly bear." Camille Jones said, "I always tease him. ... He'll say, 'Mom, you can't call me a little cuddle baby, this is the season now. I am the thug! I am the thug!'.. I says.. mom.. cuddly wuggly thug!' "

Arthur Jones remembers her public use of pet names back in high school. He said, "(She'd say) 'Get 'em, mommy-baby, shuggy, baby bear.' I'm like, 'Mom!' You know, like, it was so embarrassing, but now, looking at it, I appreciate it."

Chandler and Arthur Jones aren't the only professional athletes in the family. Middle brother Jon is a top-ranked mixed martial arts fighter. Their father, a church pastor, doesn't take credit for his sons' abilities. He said, "Most people ask me, 'How did you get three sons that are professional athletes?' and I always say, 'It's God'."

For all the brothers' success, the family has also endured loss. Their older sister, Carmen, died of cancer just before she turned 18. Camille Jones said, "They loved her dearly, she loved them. I'm sure she would be so proud of them."

Sunday, one of the Jones brothers will move on to the Super Bowl. But to their family, both are already champions.

Archived