Owego-Apalachin goes to school today

Guest Guest

Today the Owego-Apalachin School District went to school. As you know every other school in this area closed. Now the part is almost all of the roads in the district were yet to have been plowed. If they had been plowed it was done poorly. This comes down to some greed I believe because Owego wanted there State-Aid. Now Fellow parents of Owego students that are on here how do you feel about this school district risking your kids lives today? The roads were icy and treacherous. Also Bernie Dolan the assitant superentendent was apperntly heard saying "Our kids wont miss another day of school this year over my dead body" This apperntly came out last week. Also just to let you fellow parents know that today Dr. Russel the superentendent and also Mr. Dolan decided to show up at around 10. I would assume because the roads were not good enough for them to get to the office. Also Broome-Tioga BOCES had closes today so all the BOCES kids were sent home. And the snow continued making roads worse this evening then they were earlier this morning endaring the lives of these kids and teachers on there way to school once again. Please tell me if you were upset by this day not being called also. Call them let them know that this was not right and attend the next board of education meeting on Thursday February 28. This was not called for these kids lives were put into danger. After last weeks heartbreaking event you would have thought this school had much more common sence.

The storm we just had was pathetically weak. I grew up in an area of NYS that if we closed school every time a storm like last nights rolled through we would never have graduated. Get a grip. If you are that worried about your child, keep him/her/them home.

Guest Guest46

My kids go to OFA. I was fine with them going to school. They all got there and got home fine, didn't they?

Do you all stay home from work whenever there is a little bad weather???

I agree that the roads were poor enough that the buses should not have been out. Owego is a rural district (meaning that no one walks to school). Was this done to "save" vacation days. Get a grip, some administrator didn't want to cut into their travel plans so they had kids go to school on a day when no one else did.

Guest Crossing Guard
I agree that the roads were poor enough that the buses should not have been out. Owego is a rural district (meaning that no one walks to school). Was this done to "save" vacation days. Get a grip, some administrator didn't want to cut into their travel plans so they had kids go to school on a day when no one else did.

Hate to burst your bubble, but there are sidewalks in Owego, and children do walk to school.

No. Buses pick the townies up at a variety of intersections in the village and drive them out to all four buildings (OES, AES, OAMS, OFA). There are only a few students actually close enough to walk to school.

Archived