McManus comes in last

Guest Charley T.

Guest Charley T.

U.E. basketball came in last place in the seedings for AA teams in the upcoming Sectionals. This was despite having two very strong back to back JV teams. This years team had all the key guys back from last year plus the addition of talented newcome Dave Williams. Mcmanus closed out the regular season in a shamefull loss to small school Norwich. Wake up school board and administrators, this guy is in over his head. He must be replaced.

U.E. basketball came in last place in the seedings for AA teams in the upcoming Sectionals. This was despite having two very strong back to back JV teams. This years team had all the key guys back from last year plus the addition of talented newcome Dave Williams. Mcmanus closed out the regular season in a shamefull loss to small school Norwich. Wake up school board and administrators, this guy is in over his head. He must be replaced.

I agree however he wont be replace in the next couple years because he is good at bringing money into the program..and for as long as ive known any kind of program its almost alway about the money

Norwich is a very good basketball school. Just because they are a small school does not mean they are not good. There as good as Owego, and Oneonta the powerhouses of class A. Which all should have respectfully beat U-E who was not a strong team at all this year.

Guest wealthy alumni
I agree however he wont be replace in the next couple years because he is good at bringing money into the program..and for as long as ive known any kind of program its almost alway about the money

You sound nuts. He does not bring money into the coffers. He loses money with all those empty seats. Attendance is way down under McManus. It is all about winnning and McManus had a very talented squad this year and once again had a losing season. He should not be losing to teams like Ithaca, Norwich, and CV. Hopefully he will do what is best for the program and be man enough to resign.

Guest U-e alum
You sound nuts. He does not bring money into the coffers. He loses money with all those empty seats. Attendance is way down under McManus. It is all about winnning and McManus had a very talented squad this year and once again had a losing season. He should not be losing to teams like Ithaca, Norwich, and CV. Hopefully he will do what is best for the program and be man enough to resign.

Amen. He can't coach. they had the talent to compete and win some of these but didn't as they have no fundementals, offensively were poor ( no screening,back screening, he would just screem "motion"). Def no help D and were lazy.

He has no talent coming up from JV team....they were poor, so u-e fans it's going to get worse. It is the worst program we have now by far.

Guest Guest-Edward-*
Amen. He can't coach. they had the talent to compete and win some of these but didn't as they have no fundementals, offensively were poor ( no screening,back screening, he would just screem "motion"). Def no help D and were lazy.

He has no talent coming up from JV team....they were poor, so u-e fans it's going to get worse. It is the worst program we have now by far.

No question,terrible basketball.It was like he was coaching minor leagues. You could tell there was no comradare among kids,not having fun ,he was pulling people out like he was John Thompson .I did stop gong after a while since it was not worth the trip.The kids were fun to watch but een they stopped oming after a while .I do not kow how many years they give a guy but he should do like the M.E. coach and go back to Freshman coach and refresh himself.Even the coaches on the bench had a look of losers.

Come on Kevin. it is time to admit you are not the one to be coaching UE Varsity B-Ball. Please do the school a favor. Your ego is getting in the way of what is best. Every year kids quit on you. You need to go.

Come on Kevin. it is time to admit you are not the one to be coaching UE Varsity B-Ball. Please do the school a favor. Your ego is getting in the way of what is best. Every year kids quit on you. You need to go.

Get real here. Coach Mac has done more for UE than anyone else in years. Winning is not everything. He is teaching them to become productive citizens, along with contributing to more than just basketball. If you judge the success of a program simpply by the win loss records, you are sadly missing the big picture in life. Finally someone brought discipline to this program. They have won and lost games but have improved over the season. The original poster reeks of some kind of personal issue. Grow up and be a man yourself. !

It is far easier to tell someone else to be man and to quit when you hide behind your anonymity!

Guest big dog
Get real here. Coach Mac has done more for UE than anyone else in years. Winning is not everything. He is teaching them to become productive citizens, along with contributing to more than just basketball. If you judge the success of a program simpply by the win loss records, you are sadly missing the big picture in life. Finally someone brought discipline to this program. They have won and lost games but have improved over the season. The original poster reeks of some kind of personal issue. Grow up and be a man yourself. !

It is far easier to tell someone else to be man and to quit when you hide behind your anonymity!

what is you name ?

This is U.E. we are talking about, not Tioga Central. The head coach can teach them to be productive citizens AND WIN. U.E. used to be the premier basketball program in the area. Now basketball is the program at U.E. that loses the most. McManus has not brought a lick of discipline on the court. That is where discipline matters the most. Anybody can be a disciplinarian of the court, a real coach has discipline in his players off and ON the court. Nobody on this message board has any bad feelings toward Kevin as a person. We are U.E. fans and we want what is best for the program, we want him to be replaced.

This is U.E. we are talking about, not Tioga Central. The head coach can teach them to be productive citizens AND WIN. U.E. used to be the premier basketball program in the area. Now basketball is the program at U.E. that loses the most. McManus has not brought a lick of discipline on the court. That is where discipline matters the most. Anybody can be a disciplinarian of the court, a real coach has discipline in his players off and ON the court. Nobody on this message board has any bad feelings toward Kevin as a person. We are U.E. fans and we want what is best for the program, we want him to be replaced.

I agree. It is a disgrace to and watch. He doesn't know how to coach. Its time for him to go. U-E needs to rebuild their basketball program.

Guest disgusted
I agree. It is a disgrace to and watch. He doesn't know how to coach. Its time for him to go. U-E needs to rebuild their basketball program.

I did not make the trip to the season ending loss to lowly Ithaca. I watched Ithaca play earlier this year, U.E. has much, much more talent. the lack of coaching must have cost the Tigers as they lost yet another close game. THis is one of the most underachieving teams around. This year was a complete disaster.

• 2 weeks later...

I too agree we need to start looking for a much more qualified leader for the U-E Boys varsity basketball team. Oh and by the way is it true that for your banquet this year you didn't invite the cheerleaders? What excuse do you have for that; not enough room for the cheerleaders you say...find another location to hold the banquet Mr. McManus. It is a well known fact that you don't like the cheerleaders; if it weren't for the cheerleaders your stands would be half empty!!!!!!!!!

What is sad is that you make the cheerleaders families pay to watch your show. I think they would rather buy a lottery ticket...the odds of winning it would be higher plus part of the lottery monies would go towards the education system.

Guest complain
I too agree we need to start looking for a much more qualified leader for the U-E Boys varsity basketball team. Oh and by the way is it true that for your banquet this year you didn't invite the cheerleaders? What excuse do you have for that; not enough room for the cheerleaders you say...find another location to hold the banquet Mr. McManus. It is a well known fact that you don't like the cheerleaders; if it weren't for the cheerleaders your stands would be half empty!!!!!!!!!

What is sad is that you make the cheerleaders families pay to watch your show. I think they would rather buy a lottery ticket...the odds of winning it would be higher plus part of the lottery monies would go towards the education system.

McManus threw a nice kid off the basketball team in Norwich and would not let him take the team bus home. The reason is Mcmanus insulted the player by asking him to go in the game with thrity seconds left. The player said he preferred not to go in. What a terrible coach we have. The cheerleaders put on a better show and he does not invite them to the banquet, pitiful

The parents need to contact the school board or this won't change and the program will continue to be poor.

McManus threw a nice kid off the basketball team in Norwich and would not let him take the team bus home. The reason is Mcmanus insulted the player by asking him to go in the game with thrity seconds left. The player said he preferred not to go in. What a terrible coach we have. The cheerleaders put on a better show and he does not invite them to the banquet, pitiful

The parents need to contact the school board or this won't change and the program will continue to be poor.

The U.E. parents are pathetic. If this guy coached at M.E. the parents would have his head. THey would call the athletic director and school board until they got rid of him.

McManus has made it very clear that he does not like the cheerleaders, and would rather then NOT be there. If they took the cheerleaders away from the game, no one would go. The only reason they have any fans now is because U-E students have so much pride in their school, they will stand by their colors no matter what. But no one should stand by McManus. He is an awful coach and knows nothing about coaching basketball. With a new AD this year, hopefully he will make some changes soon.

Guest Guest
McManus has made it very clear that he does not like the cheerleaders, and would rather then NOT be there. If they took the cheerleaders away from the game, no one would go. The only reason they have any fans now is because U-E students have so much pride in their school, they will stand by their colors no matter what. But no one should stand by McManus. He is an awful coach and knows nothing about coaching basketball. With a new AD this year, hopefully he will make some changes soon.

There is a reason he does not want the cheeleaders around. They win and he loses. The cheerleaders come in first or second every year. He feels inferior next to a winning squad.

Guest ex-player
There is a reason he does not want the cheeleaders around. They win and he loses. The cheerleaders come in first or second every year. He feels inferior next to a winning squad.

another problem is the U-E sports system in general. for a small town, they play politics with coach selections more than bigger places. you have to know the right people, hence mcmanus and roma. neither one is qualified to coach. i know ex-alum who would make great coaches and turn the program around, but they wouldn't be selected because they might have been a little wild off the court in high school over 20 yrs. ago. that's how petty they are. brown nose for life or you have no chance.

Guest Guest
another problem is the U-E sports system in general. for a small town, they play politics with coach selections more than bigger places. you have to know the right people, hence mcmanus and roma. neither one is qualified to coach. i know ex-alum who would make great coaches and turn the program around, but they wouldn't be selected because they might have been a little wild off the court in high school over 20 yrs. ago. that's how petty they are. brown nose for life or you have no chance.

That's pretty funny...McManus never played a U-E sport, however Roma did (basketball) and he was pretty good. Let's not start on Roma because he has been in the U-E program for a very long time starting at the modified level so let's not go down that road; stay on track here. I also believe you are talking about Hurd too with the politics...correct? Let's even ask ourselves if he or his wife have gotten their master's degree yet, I believe they are teachers...right?. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but after being hired right from college and having your teaching certificate, you must acquire a master's degree, if not received one yet, with in 5 years of getting a teaching job. I'm asking so I'm not saying I am right.

Guest bystander
That's pretty funny...McManus never played a U-E sport, however Roma did (basketball) and he was pretty good. Let's not start on Roma because he has been in the U-E program for a very long time starting at the modified level so let's not go down that road; stay on track here. I also believe you are talking about Hurd too with the politics...correct? Let's even ask ourselves if he or his wife have gotten their master's degree yet, I believe they are teachers...right?. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but after being hired right from college and having your teaching certificate, you must acquire a master's degree, if not received one yet, with in 5 years of getting a teaching job. I'm asking so I'm not saying I am right.

No, I don't think Hurd was what he was thinking of at all. Hurd was more then qualified to be the head coach and was a very good D1 player himself. He has done a great job with the team. Mcmanus on the other hand never even played high school basketball. he was not qualified to be hired for the head coach job and he has certainly proved that point with his performance. I don't think politics had much to do with the mcManus choice, it was just a very bad decision by the people that hired him. They need to admit they were wrong and replace him.

Guest Guest

\

Has anyone considered that regardless of the coach the players have to win the game? Coaching is very important, but if the kids don't make the shots, get the rebounds etc.....you lose. I've seen some lazy playing on the part of the athletes and then the coach gets blamed...it is a team sport...coach, players etc. They lose for both reasons...NOT just coaching.

Guest Guest

It's been almost 30 years since U-E was a premier program on a consistent basis. The 1982-1983 team was the last dominant U-E basketball team losing in the state final. Since then, U-E has won the sectional title only twice (1989, 1998).

It's no coincidence that the dominance U-E showed during the late 70s early 80s waned with the emergence of the merged Binghamton high schools.

Guest guest

the reason ue was so bad this year was because chandler jones did not perform like he should of in the post. if i recall one game he wnet 5 for 24 and they were all lay ups. they hyped him up but he didnt pull through he should just stick to football.

Guest guest
\

Has anyone considered that regardless of the coach the players have to win the game? Coaching is very important, but if the kids don't make the shots, get the rebounds etc.....you lose. I've seen some lazy playing on the part of the athletes and then the coach gets blamed...it is a team sport...coach, players etc. They lose for both reasons...NOT just coaching.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, however, if you as the coach, do not coach your kids to perform in practice (show up, give 100% not 50%, not let the kids run the program) how do you think they will perform in front of a crowd. If your kids are not rebounding our hustling down the court, you sit them. If that means you have to play your smallest guys that do want to play and give 100%; then by god that is what you do. Also a coach earns his respect just as a player should, there is not much respect from coach to players when we are talking about the U-E program. So in closing I agree it is not just the coach but it does start with him/her and from there the program will grow. The other problem with today's athletes (no not all) and coaches is that the kids and the coaches can do and say whatever they darn well please and there are no consequences this and again I am not talking about all coaches and athletes.

What I have been witnessing these past years is the lack of respect for the pride of the school, one another (coach/athlete) but more importantly themselves.

Archived