Police Consolidation

Guest Guest

NEWS

Posted Wednesday February 20, 2008

Police consolidation in Broome still on the table

By Nancy Drooling

Press & Sun-Bulletin

A proposed plan to consolidate Broome's municipal police departments into one force remains on the table, despite a lack of commitment from at least three of the police agencies involved, said the Broome official who is spearheading the plan.

Two of the five urban core municipalities involved -- the City of Binghamton and the Village of Johnson City -- have expressed an interest in continuing to discuss possible consolidation, said Broome County Deputy Executive Patrick Brennan.

However, the Town of Vestal and the villages of Endicott and Port Dickinson, have sent Brennan letters declining participation in consolidation at this time, Brennan said. Brennan estimated there would be a savings of $9.5 million over five years with a consolidated police force, with a significant portion of money saved through the attrition of ranking officers in the five police departments.

Vestal's police chief said he supports consolidation, but questioned where the savings would come from and how the county would pay the cost of consolidation. "I think we need to investigate the actual costs of consolidation," Vestal Police Chief John Butler said.

Under the county's proposed plan, the consolidated urban police force would have its own budget and report to the county executive. The police chiefs would report to a superintendent of police who would be a civil service appointee.

Under the plan, the Broome County Sheriff's Office and the New York State Police would not be included and would continue to patrol outside the municipal urban core. Broome's proposal also invites any or all local governments within Broome's urban core to join an inter-municipal agreement.

The decision whether to consolidate police forces rests with town and village boards and the Binghamton City Council, Brennan said. Brennan said he continues to lobby community organizations to push their municipal leaders to consolidate.

"I think that some day it will happen," Brennan said. "I hope sooner than later."

Municipal public safety budgets continue to eat up the most significant portions of municipal budgets. Binghamton spent $13.3 million on its police budget in 2007, county statistics indicate. Johnson City and Endicott spent $3.9 million; Vestal, $3.8 million and Port Dickinson, $366,960.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...EWS01/802200357

COMMENTARY:

"Two of the five urban core municipalities involved -- the City of Binghamton and the Village of Johnson City -- have expressed an interest in continuing to discuss possible consolidation, said Broome County Deputy Executive Patrick Brennan."

Really????

Who exactly has "expressed interest"? Was it Matt Ryan and Tarik Abdelazim, the guys the Binghamton Police Department held behind barricades in October 2005? Ryan, the guy police have had to rescue women from repeatedly?

Oh, there's a big surprise!

Ryan and Abdelazim do not want police around.

Maybe that's because Ryan told the officer arresting him in Vestal he had "No authority to stop him" and then told him to "F** off" when they pulled him out of his home to arrest and later convict him.

Is he the guy expressing interest in consoldating the police department?

Do you understand now why Chief Tronovitch wants to retire?

What do the people of Binghamton want? What do parents want for their kids? Do they want police or firefighters?

Do you want to thin the police ranks at the very time crime is soaring?????

You want to consoldiate something, consolidate firefighters.

Take a look around you , violent crime rose 42% from January 2006 to June 2007. Larceny rose 22.5% from 2006 to 2007. Is this really the time to dilute the police forces?

Here is what was reported earlier in the Press & Sun-Bulletin:

Violent crime in 2005 = 176 incidents.

Violent crime in 2006 = 206 incidents. (17% increase from 2005)

Violent crime in half of 2007 - 125 incidents. (21.3% increase from first half of 2006, projected total 249)

Keep in mind violent crime in the rest of Broome County went down 5% in the same time period ?

Thanks to Matt Ryan and Citizen Action violent crime has risen 42% in 18 months. Larceny has risen 22.5% in one year (2005 to 2006). Business taxes have risen almost 15% in two years.

Further research will show this:

Binghamton is now way over the national crime average go see:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Binghamton-New-York.html

City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 323.2)

2003 - 302.9

2004 - 299.9

2005 - 309.7

2006 - 353.4

Here are the links to more stories:

Crime drops in Broome, rises in Binghamton

October 3, 2007 •• 357 words •• ID: bng44495856

City officials downplay increases By Jim Wright and Brian Liberatore jwright@pressconnects.com Press & Sun-Bulletin In the first six months of 2007, crime was down in Broome County when compared to the same period in 2006, but was up in Binghamton, according to figures released by the state Division of Criminal Justice Services. The report shows a 4.2 percent drop in crime in Broome County and a 5 percent increase in the city. Binghamton, which accounts for 23

Report: Property thefts rise in Binghamton

May 2, 2007 •• 372 words •• ID: bng38632442

Violent crime holds steady By Brian Liberatore bliberatore@pressconnects.com Press & Sun-Bulletin BINGHAMTON — While levels of violent crime in the city have remained fairly steady, a spike in property theft between 2005 and 2006 marks an unwelcome shift in the city. "I have no explanation for it," Binghamton Police Chief Steven Tronovitch said. "It's not an outrageous increase; it's just "significant"

(Now with violent crime up a further 21.3% to a compounded rate of 42% increase in 18 months what does the Chief says? Is it outrageous yet, Chief??? How long do you have to cover for Matt Ryan's incompetence and indifference? Why should you cover at all???? Give your men a fighting chance.)

Do you like the timing, this morning the PSB ran this viewpoint:

February 20, 2008

Viewpoints

Consolidate police in Broome urban core

The League of Women Voters of Broome and Tioga Counties supports the Broome County government proposal to consolidate the police forces of the county's urban core.

SOME COINCIDENCE, HUH!

Guest out of Binghamton in 09
NEWS

Posted Wednesday February 20, 2008

Police consolidation in Broome still on the table

By Nancy Drooling

Press & Sun-Bulletin

A proposed plan to consolidate Broome's municipal police departments into one force remains on the table, despite a lack of commitment from at least three of the police agencies involved, said the Broome official who is spearheading the plan.

Two of the five urban core municipalities involved -- the City of Binghamton and the Village of Johnson City -- have expressed an interest in continuing to discuss possible consolidation, said Broome County Deputy Executive Patrick Brennan.

However, the Town of Vestal and the villages of Endicott and Port Dickinson, have sent Brennan letters declining participation in consolidation at this time, Brennan said. Brennan estimated there would be a savings of $9.5 million over five years with a consolidated police force, with a significant portion of money saved through the attrition of ranking officers in the five police departments.

Vestal's police chief said he supports consolidation, but questioned where the savings would come from and how the county would pay the cost of consolidation. "I think we need to investigate the actual costs of consolidation," Vestal Police Chief John Butler said.

Under the county's proposed plan, the consolidated urban police force would have its own budget and report to the county executive. The police chiefs would report to a superintendent of police who would be a civil service appointee.

Under the plan, the Broome County Sheriff's Office and the New York State Police would not be included and would continue to patrol outside the municipal urban core. Broome's proposal also invites any or all local governments within Broome's urban core to join an inter-municipal agreement.

The decision whether to consolidate police forces rests with town and village boards and the Binghamton City Council, Brennan said. Brennan said he continues to lobby community organizations to push their municipal leaders to consolidate.

"I think that some day it will happen," Brennan said. "I hope sooner than later."

Municipal public safety budgets continue to eat up the most significant portions of municipal budgets. Binghamton spent $13.3 million on its police budget in 2007, county statistics indicate. Johnson City and Endicott spent $3.9 million; Vestal, $3.8 million and Port Dickinson, $366,960.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...EWS01/802200357

COMMENTARY:

"Two of the five urban core municipalities involved -- the City of Binghamton and the Village of Johnson City -- have expressed an interest in continuing to discuss possible consolidation, said Broome County Deputy Executive Patrick Brennan."

Really????

Who exactly has "expressed interest"? Was it Matt Ryan and Tarik Abdelazim, the guys the Binghamton Police Department held behind barricades in October 2005? Ryan, the guy police have had to rescue women from repeatedly?

Maybe that's because Ryan told the officer arresting him in Vestal he had "No authority to stop him" and then told him to "F** off" when they pulled him out of his home to arrest and later convict him.

What do the people of Binghamton want? What do parents want for their kids? Do they want police or firefighters?

Take a look around you , violent crime rose 42% from January 2006 to June 2007. Larceny rose 22.5% from 2006 to 2007. Is this really the time to dilute the police forces?

Violent crime in 2005 = 176 incidents.

Violent crime in 2006 = 206 incidents. (17% increase from 2005)

Violent crime in half of 2007 - 125 incidents. (21.3% increase from first half of 2006, projected total 249)

Keep in mind violent crime in the rest of Broome County went down 5% in the same time period ?

Thanks to Matt Ryan and Citizen Action violent crime has risen 42% in 18 months. Larceny has risen 22.5% in one year (2005 to 2006). Business taxes have risen almost 15% in two years.

Further research will show this:

Binghamton is now way over the national crime average go see:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Binghamton-New-York.html

City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 323.2)

2003 - 302.9

2004 - 299.9

2005 - 309.7

2006 - 353.4

Here are the links to more stories:

Crime drops in Broome, rises in Binghamton

October 3, 2007 •• 357 words •• ID: bng44495856

City officials downplay increases By Jim Wright and Brian Liberatore jwright@pressconnects.com Press & Sun-Bulletin In the first six months of 2007, crime was down in Broome County when compared to the same period in 2006, but was up in Binghamton, according to figures released by the state Division of Criminal Justice Services. The report shows a 4.2 percent drop in crime in Broome County and a 5 percent increase in the city. Binghamton, which accounts for 23

Report: Property thefts rise in Binghamton

May 2, 2007 •• 372 words •• ID: bng38632442

Violent crime holds steady By Brian Liberatore bliberatore@pressconnects.com Press & Sun-Bulletin BINGHAMTON — While levels of violent crime in the city have remained fairly steady, a spike in property theft between 2005 and 2006 marks an unwelcome shift in the city. "I have no explanation for it," Binghamton Police Chief Steven Tronovitch said. "It's not an outrageous increase; it's just "significant"

(Now with violent crime up a further 21.3% to a compounded rate of 42% increase in 18 months what does the Chief says? Is it outrageous yet, Chief??? How long do you have to cover for Matt Ryan's incompetence and indifference? Why should you cover at all???? Give your men a fighting chance.)

I see your point of catching a problem before it gets worse, but Binghamton isn't all that bad when it comes to crime. If you want way over the crime average, try checking out the stats for Atlantic City (about the size of Binghamton) on the same site. I think you will be quite surprised.

Yes, that is very comforting to know that other places are worse.

Is that a typical Binghamtonian attitude? Instead of aspiring to be the best you keep looking over your shoulder to make sure you are not the worst?

Where and how are they going to save money ???...You'll still need the same amount of manpower with the same amount of equipment to provide the same police services???...Where's the savings???

The majority of savings will be from cutting the administration posts that will overlap in consolidation. There will be benefits and there will be savings. Hopefully the transition will be smooth. Change is good.

Guest Out of Binghamton in 09
Yes, that is very comforting to know that other places are worse.

Is that a typical Binghamtonian attitude? Instead of aspiring to be the best you keep looking over your shoulder to make sure you are not the worst?

First of all read my nickname (reason I'm not too concerned). Secondly ever live in Pine Hills Florida? Well I did and while there I witnessed three people murdered in cold blood, plenty of assaults, and many other things you shouldn't have to see. So in my eyes Binghamton is a cake walk. Plus the reason I brought up Atlantic City was because of what their mayor did (look it up you will be mildly surprised). Even though Mayor Ryan isn't the best Mayor, at least he didn't walk out on his city and disappear for a few weeks in the city's time of need (AC mayor). Reply when you decide to debate over something worthwhile because Binghamton isn't all that bad. It sucks I have to leave next year because of my job, but I certainly won't miss people like you.

Where and how are they going to save money ???...You'll still need the same amount of manpower with the same amount of equipment to provide the same police services???...Where's the savings???

You don't need 5 Chiefs of Police, and their administrative staff. We need guys and gals on the STREET, not flying desks.

Guest Tax Payer

Police consolidation in Broome County will never happen. WAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to many ego's (Chief's, Sheriff) will get in the way of this happening. Not one of these will want to give up their power if they were to consolidate.

You don't need 5 Chiefs of Police, and their administrative staff. We need guys and gals on the STREET, not flying desks.

So why not get read of all these positions at there stations instead of pulling all these dept's together? Binghamton is very top heavy no question, alot of deception going on for sure!

COMMENTARY:

Really????

BLAH BLAH BLAH

40th REPOST OF ALREADY CONTESTED INFORMATION

BLAH AND MORE BLAH

So says the King of redundant publicly funded services. Yes, if I were upset about the state of things I also would run right out and start a publicly funded dinner cabaret which would compete with the already struggling community theaters. I think it's too bad that everyone wants to keep their own in this small and ever shrinking urban area as the redundancies just cost us money.

So says the King of redundant publicly funded services. Yes, if I were upset about the state of things I also would run right out and start a publicly funded dinner cabaret which would compete with the already struggling community theaters. I think it's too bad that everyone wants to keep their own in this small and ever shrinking urban area as the redundancies just cost us money.

Get a study done. All the way from having one big city in the "Urban Core" to all the services provide. I in no mean want service to decline, but maybe by having one big municipality, the area can save millions and make it much more appealing to business to come back to the "valley of opportunity." To include Endwell, West Corners, Union Center, West Endicott and all the other little areas in the area. We can atleast start with the departments, i.e. police, fire, street and others.

http://www.douglaswalterdrazen.blogspot.com

Police "Consolidation"; Another Bad Idea for Binghamton.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Citizens of Binghamton, New York, and surrounding communities are being promised an "urban core" "metro" police department will save them millions of dollars.

But similar promises have been heard before, and the savings never materialized, like when the Binghamton City School District "consolidated". Same with our current Broome County Department of Social Services, a "consolidated" agency; each town previously having their own welfare departments. Our current form of county government was billed as a "consolidated" form when it was pitched as a replacement for the old Board of Supervisors in the 1960's, but savings to taxpayers is not something most people associate with Broome County goverment these days.

Aside from the questionable promise of savings to taxpayers, there are other reasons the proposal is a bad idea for Binghamton.

Presently, as commissioner of public safety, Binghamton's mayor can tell the police chief what he wants done, and the chief is obligated by law to comply. But a "consolidated" police department, not similarly or solely answerable to Binghamton's mayor, will have no such obligation.

The mayor could only hope his requests for enforcement of city ordinances would be honored, or that whoever was running the "consolidated" police agency would have his officers even be familiar with city ordinances.

So, the people of the city's ability to set a standard for their community, through their chief executive's law enforcement authority, would be cast aside, and as a practical matter, their ability through City Council to meaningfully legislate such authority on quality of life issues facing the city would also be gone.

Moreover, in addition to negating the mayor's ability to direct enforcement of existing city ordinances, police "consolidation" will gut the mayor's ability to direct prosecutions under them by the Corporation Counsel, critical for protecting property values, addressing neighborhood quality of life issues, and establishing a community standard.

Why would the current mayor want to surrender that ability, a core executive power, and undercut future mayors by denying it to them, if he "loves" Binghamton, like he professed as a candidate. Perhaps more importantly, why would Binghamton's citizenry want to part with such vital aspects of local political autonomy, just on the promise of increased cost efficiency? Especially when the credibility and motivation of those making the promise is considered, as well as the track record of the previous "consolidations" cited above.

Many of those now clamoring for police "consolidation" were those sitting on their hands and/or turning a blind eye while Binghamton became a regional capital for criminal gang activity, and became the per capita sex offender capital of New York State. Many are the same whose taste, judgment and standards led them to say and/or do nothing about the County Department of Social Services being directly across from Binghamton High School, and to sanction or be silent about the Department of Social Services float leading Broome County's Bicentennial Parade this past summer.

If that is the way they see Broome County moving into its next 100 years, I respectfully submit they should have no say whatsoever concerning how the City of Binghamton moves into its future; especially in times when hemorrhaging population and plunging property values have reduced it to a hollow shell of the community that helped win the Second World War and put a man on the moon.

If Binghamton is to establish the kind of reputation that will attract the families, businesses and investors it needs to regain the kind of progress, productivity and prosperity it once enjoyed, it must retain its ability to set and enforce community standards.

Police "consolidation" removes that ability, and therefore must be unqualifiedly rejected.

If change was in the wind it should have started with the Binghamton Fire Department with the largest budget (excluding County) of everyone in Broome County.

I'm in disagreement of this plan to consolidate our police department, first of all I wouldn't trust the people behind it! Any of them!!!!

If they, including Mayor Ryan had the common sense CONSOLIDATION WOULD HAVE STARTED WITH THE FIRE DEPARTMENT NOT THE BING. POLICE. NO THE MAYOR GOES AHEAD RENEWING THE BING. FIRE CONTRACT WITH NO CONTIGENCIES A 14% RAISE FOR FOUR YEARS. NO DISCUSSION WHAT SO EVER OF CONSOLIDATION NONE!!!

SO WHO WOULD YOU TRUST? ANY OF THE PLAYERS SPEARHEADING CONSOLIDATION??? IT STINKS AND MOST PEOPLE ON THE STREET ARE REALIZING IT'S NOT MAKING SENSE.................POLICE verses FIRE CONSOLIDATION

THE BIGGER PICTURE IS IT'S ELECTION YEAR AND BARB FIALA NEEDS VOTES SHE IS NO DOUBT INVOLVED WITH CITIZEN ACTION AND WORKING FAMILIES TO HELP HER ELECTION. IF IT'S NOT TRUE THEN SHE SHOULD VOICE HER POSITION SHES NOT GOING TO BE SUPPORTED BY CITIZEN ACTION AND WORKING FAMILIES.

SHE WOULN'T DO THIS SHE'S AFARID OF THEM AND NOT TAKING THE POSITION AS A TRUE DEMOCRAT. SHE'S TROWN IN WITH THE RENAGADES C-A AND W-F !! WHY? WHAT THE BINGHAMTON PRESS FAILS TO SEE IS THE BIGGER PICTURE THAT IS THE BINGHAMTON FIRE DEPARTMENT HAS BEEN HACKED ( used for MARY CLARK'S private database for election purposes) INTO BY CITIZEN ACTION.

MARY CLARK DOES HER HOMEWORK.....WELL KNOWING MOST FIRE DEPARTMENT AND IT'S RELATIVES LIVE IN THE CITY AND IT RELATES TO VOTES THEY WILL USE IN FIALA'S AND RYAN'S RE-ELECTION. THAT'S WHY THEY MADE A DEAL WITH THE FIRE DEPARTMENT ON THEIR CONTRACT.

TELL ME....................DO YOU THINK IT STINKS????? YOU DAM RIGHT IT STINK'S!!!! :angry:

Of course they are going to drag their feet. It will mean less tax supported jobs for them to drain us with. It is only a matter of time though so they might want to look into another line of work.

"They" don't have a choice. The gov't needs to grab ahold of what god gave them and tell them what they are going to do.

The flaw in Fiala's Police consolidation plan is creating a new County bureaucracy. Also, it may not be cost-effective to be paying patrol officers County-level salaries when Towns/Villages can get by with lower payrolls.

We already have an ELECTED Sheriff (accountable to the voters/taxpayers).

If there's to be a consolidated police force, then put it under the Sheriff, who is a law enforcement professional. Keep it away from the County Executive's office where politics abound. There are enough unsolved problems she has to worry about.

Archived