Code enforcement>Todays PS&B Letter to the Editor

Guest Guest

HOORAH for Mr. Ed MCHUGH for writing in and showing the redicules nonsense about what he has on his property which he pays taxes on!

Good for you Mr. MCHUGH!!!!

well some people are sick and tired of people who let their property look like a trailer park.

i dont blame anyone for targeting those properties, especially if its been in the same condition for years on end.

how would u like living nect to one of them if you take pride in keeping up yours?

What kind of a message does it send to anyone thinking of relocating a busness or a family to binghamton if they see run down businesses and private homes?

Some people think they are immune form keeping up their property but i say what they get is what they deserve if they have been asked to clean up.

You can say its none of my business but ill tell you what you can do with it, i pay taxes here too and i dont like seeing things go to hell, a coat of paint and removing trash isnt asking for much lord knows there plenty of trash littering on all of the city streets that is hard to control let alone a property owner giving the whole community the finger.

if the shoe fits then wear it but expect the taxpayers to win out.

even the best of people dont have to live like pigs.

Guest BCV Code Enforcement

Mr. McHugh is right and I also know if it's good for one then it should be good for all Or is it??? But recently I happen to be going by DELETED. A vehcile was parked in the driveway in front of the house at the address mentioned in plain view.

As I drove by I noticed rear of a silver Lexus foreign car sitting there with no plates. It sat there for 4 to 5 days with no plates. Now lets make this assumtion that the City of Binghamton's Code Nazi's didn't see it. Well why would they? They don't patrol (Richer Area's) the upper Westside and besides what consitutues a junk car? Just because it's older and not to everyone's liking in appearance but start's or just needs a battery to start doesn't mean it's a junk car!

I'm sorry, It's Joe Sanfillipo who owns the Lexus that was sitting in front of his house can get away with it for a week while code did nothing, it's telling me the City is allowing a double standard either because of who (County legislator) he is or who he knows at City Hall!

Oh by the way, I have a picture to prove it with his house number DELETED.!

See Mr. McHugh you don't live in area thats means much to the Mayor, as I just pointed out, but his or Mary Clarks Neighborhood Assemblies (A JOKE) is not working with resident's their working aganist them!!!

Remember it next time you pull the lever when they (Citizen Action, Working Familes or Mayor Ryan) want your VOTE! Dont let them hood wink you next time!!!!! June will soon be here leaving a year and half left of this nonsense!

HOORAH for Mr. Ed MCHUGH for writing in . . . Good for you Mr. MCHUGH!!!!

One of the biggest ironies in Code Enforcement within the City of Binghamton is the "Ryan . . . People's Voice for Change" campaign signs still displayed on the windows of the moldy-smelling Stone Theater building at 31-35 Chenango Street (where, in addition to the mold smell that emanates from the building [no wonder adjacent buildings are also vacant -- ugh!] the roof leaks to the extent that pigeons can be seen flying in and out at will and at least one roof beam has rotted/collapsed into the theater's balcony -- that's not the kind of change I would vote for!! -- you'd think Mayor Ryan would want to get his signs the h-e-l-l off that building PRONTO!). After mention of this got no reply from the Mayor's office, however, a complaint (because City Code requires that political signs be removed not later than 30 days after an election) made to Code Enforcement was not acted on because, according to Dave Chadwicks - Building Inspector, his "hands are tied" and Code Enforcement has "no jurisdiction" over an uninhabitable/vacant building.

McHugh and his East Side neighbors are in the same "pickle" because all of these burned-out buildings are not inhabited or inhabitable. I can't believe this City cannot design an enfoceable law that gives the City some "teeth" to act in the interest of public health and safety to act to remove these vermin-infested ratholes (literally! -- remember John Sullivan's letter to the editor in August [with a picture, no less] about the rats at the burned-down Froshin's Bar site on Broad Avenue). Or, better yet, get some code enforcement people who will get out of their cars and actually do something to enforce the laws in the public interest.

P.S.: I also drive by a "Whalen for Mayor" sign almost daily, but after the experience with the Ryan signs, I didn't bother to make a complaint about that one because it, too, is on a vacant building (although I'd bet the Ryan administration would be more prompt and responsive in enforcing the law in that case -- what hypocrites!).

How many years does the old McClanes building goin to sitand rot right in the heart of downtown,no heat unattended, i can only imagine whats goingon inside that and what about all the other buildings and storefronts? who owns them and why do that crumble?

well some people are sick and tired of people who let their property look like a trailer park.

i dont blame anyone for targeting those properties, especially if its been in the same condition for years on end.

how would u like living nect to one of them if you take pride in keeping up yours?

What kind of a message does it send to anyone thinking of relocating a busness or a family to binghamton if they see run down businesses and private homes?

Some people think they are immune form keeping up their property but i say what they get is what they deserve if they have been asked to clean up.

You can say its none of my business but ill tell you what you can do with it, i pay taxes here too and i dont like seeing things go to hell, a coat of paint and removing trash isnt asking for much lord knows there plenty of trash littering on all of the city streets that is hard to control let alone a property owner giving the whole community the finger.

if the shoe fits then wear it but expect the taxpayers to win out.

even the best of people dont have to live like pigs.

I really have to jump in here on your side. We have tried for twenty years to get a little stretch of Charles st. paved Dorinda Null told us that all roads get paved every 50 years. ( She was our Council person at the time). With nothing being done I asked her if I delivered the manpower could we get it done, that did not happen. Finally instead of paving could we have it dug up and just have dirt. As that would be better than the disgusting mess it is now. Well Dorinda moved on And when Wessler was running for Council he assured us he could get the road paved. It never happened. This past summer Crandall street was getting paved for the third or fourth time in the last 10 years and after the job was done they moved all the paving machinery onto our little street. Wow I thought they are going to do something. Well they did something they purged the machine like some elephant leaving droppings, adding insult to injury. I can go on and on the city is broke and it is filthy and I am now surrounded by it, we are not having people over anymore. And will probably let our property go to hell also. The city is an embarrassment.

Guest Bad Code.....Bad Bad Bad

Who's side are you on??? The City is the biggest CODE VIOLATER! The City should be setting the example not the other way around!!!!

Code is embarrassing themselfs with lame violations instead of the City cleaning up their own act!

Did you read the letter to the editor in Fridays Press from Mr. Mc Hugh? Read it.....he makes a good point!

I really have to jump in here on your side. We have tried for twenty years to get a little stretch of Charles st. paved Dorinda Null told us that all roads get paved every 50 years. ( She was our Council person at the time). With nothing being done I asked her if I delivered the manpower could we get it done, that did not happen. Finally instead of paving could we have it dug up and just have dirt. As that would be better than the disgusting mess it is now. Well Dorinda moved on And when Wessler was running for Council he assured us he could get the road paved. It never happened. This past summer Crandall street was getting paved for the third or fourth time in the last 10 years and after the job was done they moved all the paving machinery onto our little street. Wow I thought they are going to do something. Well they did something they purged the machine like some elephant leaving droppings, adding insult to injury. I can go on and on the city is broke and it is filthy and I am now surrounded by it, we are not having people over anymore. And will probably let our property go to hell also. The city is an embarrassment.

As the earlier poster wrote, keeping vote for Citizen Action/Working Families candidates and this is what you get. Now you have a whole City Council full of them, watch how fast things will fall apart now.

I live between Lake and Downs Avenues.

Yesterday I was going home on Lake and saw a sedan on the street parked right next to the curb.

It was on blocks. The tires were off.

I thought I was seeing things.

There was an empty driveway right next to the house.

If it's still there when I get back home today, I'm calling CE first thing in the morning.

Archived