Owego game

Guest Guest

No matter how bad the refs are (and I heard they weren't that bad) there is never an excuse for a brawl.

When any school plays Owego (in just about any sport) they need to be prepared to duck. In Owego the players and the fans are all fighters, particularly if they feel things don't go their way.

I suspect they are proponents of hit first, talk later. I think that STAC should take a long look at schools with "fight" records and consider excluding them for a year.

This would only be fair on a sport by sort basis.

went to an owego basketball (soccer, wrestling, baseball, football) game nad a fight broke out

Owego In-breds have shorter tempers.........and smaller pee pees.

I am a neutral fan and i was at this game. The reffing was TERRRIBLE. You could hear the Slaps of the ESS kids on the OFA kids. The reffing needed a 3rd person there. Number 32 on owego started jawing with another kid after he had gotten punched. They were both ejected. No technicals were called. Also many ESS fans decided it was neccesary for them to storm the court. Some of them were ejected while others were told to simply go and sit down. Then this man came into the stands and began making rude remarks about owego and kicking there fans out. This game got way out of hand for a high school basketball game. The reffing was terrible especiall when number 11 on ESS and Jack Keough got into an argument when keough dived to save a ball in front of the ESS bench. The refs did not even notice this and acted like it did not happen. Something should have been done then. But ESS in the end outplayed the indians. Manning for ESS is a extremly good player. I think Owego was the stronger team but was outplayed and out pushed around on the court. Many of which the ref did not call. These refs were terrible and in the end possibly decided the game.

Guest stacwatcher

Same old story that happens more often than not,... when west stac teams come east, reffing is good, when east goes to the west, they get screwed by the refs. Plain and simple, they cheat.

Aren't you amusing...a fight is a real funny thing until it is YOUR jaw that gets broken.

There is quite a long discussion on Syracuse.com about the incident and, having read Syr.com for a couple of years now, I do know that - for one - Empire3 is a very neutral and intelligent observer - and he is from our Section 4. So I truely believe what he says is gospel or close to it. People really interested in what actually happened at the game should check it out.

It was an extremely poor choice for ESS to not have police on hand at the game and certainly could have put that school in a tenuous legal position had anything worse happened...which is sure sounds like it got very very very close to a full out brawl.

I think that this is, in a very real way, related to the fan clubs thread. An entire atmosphere of ugliness is prevelent at the hs games - and ugliness can quickly change to violence, all it needs is a spark. Sorry, but I also believe that the 'fan' clubs in matching tee shirts add greatly to a mob mentality....look up some info on mob behavior and you will agree. People, good decent people in an emotionally intense atmosphere percieving themselves as part of a group will act in ways they otherwise never ever would consider - or even believe that they would.

So here are my solutions (too bad I not the ruler of the universe lol):

1. ALL basketball games need 3 refs...sounds like part of the reason this one got out of control was because the refs were not able to control the game and missed some KEY fouls/incidents..including the one the led to 'storming' the court.

2. Start calling technicals more often...those of us who watch HS ball regularly know the players that are constantly taking issue with calls by refs and playing dirty - and there are a few. Also adding to the ugliness.

3. Institute an iron clad policy of dis-allowing jeering at opposing players and fan clubs. That mean EVERYONE complies. I know this is not an easy task but eventually the jeering will be lessened. I honestly feel that the jeering makes the athletes and fans angry and leads to more swift & deliberate physical fouls and trash talking.

4. EVERY boys basketball game (sorry, crowds are just not an issue at the girls games) need police hired to work it..at LEAST 2 cops/game.

I know I sound like a PollyAnna and Chicken Little (the sky is falling, the sky is falling) rolled up into one but it sure looks like - to me - that trouble is brewing.

When you read about incidents where a parent beats up a coach, or player are injured by fans, yes, folks it COULD happen here...and they don't usually strike out of the blue - the league or team or parent had been building up to this moment for quite a while. We have our warning signs, time to heed them.

Thoughts?

Guest I Like FIGHTS
Aren't you amusing...a fight is a real funny thing until it is YOUR jaw that gets broken.

There is quite a long discussion on Syracuse.com about the incident and, having read Syr.com for a couple of years now, I do know that - for one - Empire3 is a very neutral and intelligent observer - and he is from our Section 4. So I truely believe what he says is gospel or close to it. People really interested in what actually happened at the game should check it out.

It was an extremely poor choice for ESS to not have police on hand at the game and certainly could have put that school in a tenuous legal position had anything worse happened...which is sure sounds like it got very very very close to a full out brawl.

I think that this is, in a very real way, related to the fan clubs thread. An entire atmosphere of ugliness is prevelent at the hs games - and ugliness can quickly change to violence, all it needs is a spark. Sorry, but I also believe that the 'fan' clubs in matching tee shirts add greatly to a mob mentality....look up some info on mob behavior and you will agree. People, good decent people in an emotionally intense atmosphere percieving themselves as part of a group will act in ways they otherwise never ever would consider - or even believe that they would.

So here are my solutions (too bad I not the ruler of the universe lol):

1. ALL basketball games need 3 refs...sounds like part of the reason this one got out of control was because the refs were not able to control the game and missed some KEY fouls/incidents..including the one the led to 'storming' the court.

2. Start calling technicals more often...those of us who watch HS ball regularly know the players that are constantly taking issue with calls by refs and playing dirty - and there are a few. Also adding to the ugliness.

3. Institute an iron clad policy of dis-allowing jeering at opposing players and fan clubs. That mean EVERYONE complies. I know this is not an easy task but eventually the jeering will be lessened. I honestly feel that the jeering makes the athletes and fans angry and leads to more swift & deliberate physical fouls and trash talking.

4. EVERY boys basketball game (sorry, crowds are just not an issue at the girls games) need police hired to work it..at LEAST 2 cops/game.

I know I sound like a PollyAnna and Chicken Little (the sky is falling, the sky is falling) rolled up into one but it sure looks like - to me - that trouble is brewing.

When you read about incidents where a parent beats up a coach, or player are injured by fans, yes, folks it COULD happen here...and they don't usually strike out of the blue - the league or team or parent had been building up to this moment for quite a while. We have our warning signs, time to heed them.

Thoughts?

I have been in probably 100 fights in my lifetime. Got my DELETED kicked and kicked DELETED in most of them. All I know is the rush you get in a fight is just amazing B)

Guest Old School
Regular refs? Guys who generally ref STAC games? Ejected players removed for cause or just arbitrarily removed to make a point?
Overall, STAC officials do a good job and have for as long as I can remember. The problem with officiating basketball is the product of coaching very good athletes to gain a compettive advantage every chance the athlete has the opportunity to do so. The official could enforce the "Rules of the Game" as codified, or let the players compete until one or more gain an advantage. In basketball, there is no longer a defined "foul" without the referee's interpretation. This lack of "boundaries " confuses the players, who will try as hard as they can, at the coach's demand, until they foul out. The idea of assigning 3 officials to every game is a good one. But the players should be given a heads-up that the "Rules" would actually be enforced.

Both owego and me are known throughout stac for their prima donna players and constant fighting. However is it a coincidence that the worst fights seem to happen with elimra? I am thinking of the recent owego basketball game and last years me soccer game.

Both owego and me are known throughout stac for their prima donna players and constant fighting. However is it a coincidence that the worst fights seem to happen with elimra? I am thinking of the recent owego basketball game and last years me soccer game.

Where's Elimra :huh:

Guest I LIKE FIGHTS
local education is not all its cracked up to be. most kids spelling sucks. but they can play basketball (and fight).

Yeah FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Same old story that happens more often than not,... when west stac teams come east, reffing is good, when east goes to the west, they get screwed by the refs. Plain and simple, they cheat.

werent west refs they were ithaca refs

Archived