Why burn food ?

Guest Guest

Guest BC Voice of Reason
Does it make any sense to anyone to burn food for fuel ?

Umm, yeah. Seeing how it's a renewable source of energy. Why wouldn't it make any sense? :huh:

Making Ethanol form CORN is a farce. Ethanol made from sugarcane is the equal of Gasoline - same octane, etc. Ethanol made from Corn is only 1/6 as powerfull as Gasoline or Sugarcane based Ethanol. Corn Ethanol is like watered down Gasoline.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
The price of food will sky rocket.

Food prices have already gone up because of higher fuel costs for farm equipment and to ship it. Biofuels make sense because it's an industry this country can take advantage of. If the price of a can of corn or a bag of sugar goes up because of it, it's a small price to pay in the long run.

Until I have a hydrogen furnace and a hydrogen car, I don't expect to spend less for fuel anytime soon.

Food prices have already gone up because of higher fuel costs for farm equipment and to ship it. Biofuels make sense because it's an industry this country can take advantage of. If the price of a can of corn or a bag of sugar goes up because of it, it's a small price to pay in the long run.

Until I have a hydrogen furnace and a hydrogen car, I don't expect to spend less for fuel anytime soon.

Where will you get all the cheap hydrogen for your furnace and car?

Hydrogen is very plentiful in the universe but it doesn't exist anywhere as pure hydrogen.

It is very energy intensive to release the hydrogen from its bond with other elements.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
Where will you get all the cheap hydrogen for your furnace and car?

Hydrogen is very plentiful in the universe but it doesn't exist anywhere as pure hydrogen.

It is very energy intensive to release the hydrogen from its bond with other elements.

A few years ago I read a book "Project Phoenix" that suggested it could be done through a mix of solar and wind energy. It was a pretty interesting read.

http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Project-Shif.../dp/0970250207/

Making Ethanol form CORN is a farce. Ethanol made from sugarcane is the equal of Gasoline - same octane, etc. Ethanol made from Corn is only 1/6 as powerfull as Gasoline or Sugarcane based Ethanol. Corn Ethanol is like watered down Gasoline.
true yet everyone forgets about sugar beets the sugar is identical to cane sugar. yet they grow well in our climate because they are beneeth the soil the colder climate is not a problem

A few years ago I read a book "Project Phoenix" that suggested it could be done through a mix of solar and wind energy. It was a pretty interesting read.

http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Project-Shif.../dp/0970250207/

Solar and wind are not very reliable. If we want a reliable, non-polluting energy source, we need to build more nuclear power plants.

Hydrogen also has other problems, including storage.

Here's a link to a collection of articles concerning energy.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/taxonomy/term/46

Check them out if you're interested and if not....

true yet everyone forgets about sugar beets the sugar is identical to cane sugar. yet they grow well in our climate because they are beneeth the soil the colder climate is not a problem

Thats true and there is a lot of unused farmland all around this area.

If I had the capital to make the investment, I would buy up all the farmland I could and get it prepared to plant. I already have a lot of the equipment.

I read about an investment group looking to buy corn for making ethanol in western Mass. They have an ethenol making plant already set up they just need a lot more corn then they originally thought they would. There are two farms in Madison County that grew and sold corn to them this past year. I will have to go through my Farm Bureau newsletters to cite the exact company and all, but it will be an exciting next decade as farming grows again if this works out.

I quit reading after I got to this:

HTE does not provide a means to bypass the inherent inefficiency of a heat engine, by producing hydrogen which is then converted back to electricity in a fuel cell. (Any such efficiency improvement would allow the theoretical construction of a perpetual motion machine, which would violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which is impossible.) Thus any economic advantage to be gained from using HTE must come from supplying chemical processes which use hydrogen as a feedstock and not as a power source (such as the petrochemical or fertilizer industries), or motive processes for which hydrogen is a better energy carrier than electricity (rockets are an example, cars are not yet an example).

Thats true and there is a lot of unused farmland all around this area.

If I had the capital to make the investment, I would buy up all the farmland I could and get it prepared to plant. I already have a lot of the equipment.

I read about an investment group looking to buy corn for making ethanol in western Mass. They have an ethenol making plant already set up they just need a lot more corn then they originally thought they would. There are two farms in Madison County that grew and sold corn to them this past year. I will have to go through my Farm Bureau newsletters to cite the exact company and all, but it will be an exciting next decade as farming grows again if this works out.

The best part about ethanol production is that it is taxpayer subsidized. If it weren't for the tax subsidies the whole ethanol scam would collapse.

I like paying twice for my fuel. Once in taxes, twice at the pump.

I quit reading after I got to this:

Why?...

The author fails to realize the heat produced in a hydrogen powered (Internal Combustion) car could be used to produced steam for an onboard high-temperature electrolysis unit (whatever that would be)

Point being greater efficiency is attainable through HTE. Although not without invention, and some forward thought.

Also read...

http://www.ca.sandia.gov/crf/research/comb...Engines/PFI.php

I'm not trying to argue anything I was under the impression you were into this kind of thing.

Archived