Gasoline Prices

Veteran

I found a cheaper place to buy gasoline today. The Valero at the corner of Clinton and Jarvis in Binghamton had it for 3.12/gal. There was a tanker truck with the name "Manley Mart" on the side, delivering fuel to the station. The Manley Mart on Upper Court Street sells gas for 3.28. The Pilot Truck Stop just around the corner from there is 3.27. Both of these are just off the Highway exit and get MUCH more business than the one on Clinton. I think they are just gouging us and pocketing the extra 16 cents a gallon. Just up the street from the Valero on Clinton was another Valero, just off Highway 17W (Airport Rd Exit)at $3.17. Surely they also sell more fuel than the station on Clinton since they are at a Highway exit.

I tried to "Google" an answer as to why stations vary their prices so widely.... an Oil Company "Petro-Canada" had this to say

"Generally, in smaller communities....Sales per station may be lower and so a higher margin is required to cover the fixed operating costs. Does that mean the person selling at a higher price is making more money? Likely no. Yes, it's the same product found in the city, but the less you sell, the higher the margin required to operate the business and make a profit."

So their answer just does not ring true. The stations that I found with higher prices are selling much more fuel and therefore should have lower operating costs and be able to have the lowest prices.

So it put it to you out there. Are we being GOUGED by the high-priced local stations that get the same fuel from the same tanker trucks as the cheaper stations? And how do we report them? I can see a few cents a gallon difference but 16 cents more? Did the Pilot and Manley Mart on Upper Court Street agree to Fix Prices so that they can gouge us? You have to drive a few miles away to find any cheaper. Pilot used to be lower priced than the Hess on Upper Front Street (they're 3.21 now).

Thats the free market system.

People make businesses such as gas station in order to make a profit. Usually they try to make a profit as large as possible. Therefore they sell the gas at a price which will maximize their profit. Chances are they know what they are doing and are making a nice profit.

ARE YOU JOKING OR WHAT ?

We all know we're being ""GOUGED"" and we all know that we will complain. But the real problem is that you can not get 1/3 of this country to agree on anything together, so the ""GOUGING"" continues.

We agree, but yet do nothing to stop it.

Really makes sense to me. People made a diferance before, now we just ""ACCEPT IT"" and pass the Petroleum Jelly please so the shaft does not hurt as much....

Thanks

It's the freemarket, raise the price until it's almost high enough so people can't pay any more.

Crude oil is going up simply because people rich enough in to buy futures in the commodities market are bidding up the price in an effort to hedge against inflation. Once again, we get screwed so the mega rich can get richer.

Archived