Outlet and warehouse furniture scams-direct-bait and switch

Guest scamalerts

Guest scamalerts

Be careful if you plan on buying furniture from warehouses or outlets that tell you they buy factory direct. Get the official name of the outlet and look them up at Better Business Bureau. We bought mattresses and foundations from a "factory direct" business that advertises on Craigslist and in the classified sections of the paper. We were looking for basic furniture at a fair price. What we picked out in their warehouse was not what was delivered. I knew this right away. The guys delivering the nasty merchandise would not take it back with them. Instead, they called the salesperson and put me on the line. He promised to "swap it out" when the correct mechandise came in. He knew he had failed to deliver what we had paid for but told us he was doing us a favor because they ran out of what we ordered and he knew we needed furniture. He told us to keep it in the plastic and they would "swap it out" the next week or so. The delivery people wrote that on the form and I did not sign the form indicating I had gotten my delivery. Rather I signed by the notation that they promised to exchange it. Naturally I could not force them to take it back on the truck if they were unwilling. That was months ago. When we call the salesperson is too busy to talk, has someone there, is at a meeting and/or is out of town. While we were in the shed/warehouse but too late for us, the saleperson was fielding calls and saying things like "we upgraded you" or "foam is more expensive than what you ordered", etc. He got off the phone and complained to us that some people are ungrateful when you try to do them a favor! Our check was already in his hands. Some favor. I'd call it robbery. We called and called in an attempt to get them to make the promised exchanges. We also listened while they told us things like mattress companies don't make boxsprings anymore (not true), the white foundation is a match to the tan mattress (not true), you did get what you ordered (not true). This company has an unsatisfactory rating already with the BBB. They advertise lots of stuff under the As in the classified and on Craigslist. They list different names and cell numbers and sometimes convey the impression that they are selling furniture privately at a "sacrifice". They seem based in Syracuse but seem to be selling stuff in Vestal through people who say their friend has a furniture store going out of business and they are helping out. Also selling in other ways. Their cell phone numbers list 607 as area code but they have a bunch of numbers with other area codes.We bought our stuff in another town in upstate NY but they sell in Uitca, Watertown, Syracuse and said they are targeting Binghamton. Target is just the right word too. Beware!!! They sell you one thing and deliver something else They refuse to put the stuff back on their truck and then they tell you that you should not have accepted the furniture if you were not happy with it. They say you can not return the stull after promising otherwise and, through it all, they take your money and rip you off. If you plan to buy furniture from a business that seems fly by night, look them up.

I have heard that it happens all of the time. Also what about the scotchguard scam at Olum's. I helped a friend pick up some furiture at the Olum's warehouse last week and he paid them to scotchguard or stainguard or whatever they do. We went there unannounced and they told us they had to spray the couch and chair so it would be a few minutes. 15 minutes later, they brought the furniture to the loading dock and the couch was wrapped in plastic that was taped up (never opened) and the chair was in a box and the cardboard was stapled . What did they do spray the stuff through the cracks???

Guest Sample  BBB reports

BBB Reliability Report for

Syracuse Warehouse Direct Inc.

This is not a BBB accredited business.

BBB Rating Unsatisfactory

Details...

BBB issues Reliability Reports on all businesses, whether or not they are BBB accredited. If a business is a BBB Accredited Business, it is stated in this report.

Find out more about this business:Reported on Wednesday, February 6, 2008 8:52 PM

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the BBB due to unanswered complaint(s).

Business Contact and ProfileBack To Top Name: Syracuse Warehouse Direct Inc.

Phone: (315) 452-6717

Address: 2001 Lemoyne Ave Ste 3, Syracuse, NY 13208-1451

eMail: tlucero777@aol.com

BBB file opened: February 10, 2005

Business started: June 2004

Business started locally: June 2004

Primary Contact: Mr. Timothy J. Lucero (President)

Complaint Contact: Mr. Anthony Tringale (Operations Manager)

Additional Locations and Phone NumbersBack To Top (315) 876-4384

(315) 452-0375 (FAX)

Customer Complaint HistoryBack To Top

The company's size, volume of business and number of transactions may have a bearing on the number of complaints received by the BBB. The complaints filed against a company may not be as important as the type of complaints, and how the company has handled them. The BBB generally does not pass judgment on the validity of complaints filed.

Number of complaints processed by the BBB

in the last 36 months: 14

in the last 12 months: 6

Complaints Concerned:

Selling Practices (1 complaints)

1 Unresolved

Service Issues (5 complaints)

1 Resolved

2 Company made every reasonable effort to resolve

2 Company did not respond

Refund Practices (4 complaints)

1 Company made every reasonable effort to resolve

3 Company did not respond

Product Quality (3 complaints)

2 Resolved

1 Company did not respond

Repair Issues (1 complaints)

1 Company did not respond

Products and Services This company offers home furnishing products.

Government Actions The BBB has no information regarding Government Actions at this time.

Advertising Review The BBB has no information regarding Ad Reviews at this time.

As a matter of policy, the BBB does not endorse any product, service or business.

BBB Reliability Reports are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information in this BBB Reliability Report is believed reliable, but not guaranteed as to accuracy.

BBB Reliability Reports generally cover a three-year reporting period. BBB Reliability Reports are subject to change at any time.

If you choose to do business with this business, please let the business know that you contacted the BBB for a BBB Reliability Report.

ID: 22001086

Report as of: 2/6/2008 8:52 PM

© 2008 Better Business Bureau, Inc.

Archived