Thats why I dont fly

dlinclimo

Did you see the Loftonza flight in Germany that landed in high wind. Tried to land, wing hit the ground, the pilot took back off , circled and relanded with a busted wing. Bet the bathrooms were full after that. I allmost had to change my shorts just watching it. :o

Did you see the Loftonza flight in Germany that landed in high wind. Tried to land, wing hit the ground, the pilot took back off , circled and relanded with a busted wing. Bet the bathrooms were full after that. I allmost had to change my shorts just watching it. :o

I seen it! That is the exact reason I stay firmly on the ground. Gotta say he did an excellent job recovering and getting down safely!

That was unreal wasn't it!? They did credit the skill of the pilot for landing as safely as possible.

All this technology in the world and Air Traffic Control didn't peek their heads out and feel the wind?

My guess is...someones goin' to be fired!

Scary video, especially as a pilot for many years. Don't know all the circumstances but it appears that it may be the pilot who will be on the carpet for the following reasons:

1 - Delayed recognition of a problem and delayed initiation of a go-around procedure.

2 - The left wing down attitude that compounded the problem and caused the left wing to hit the ground; appears that it could have been pilot initiated. There were no roll control problems until the pilot attempted to yaw the aircraft to the left to minimize a touchdown in a "crabbed' configuration. He may have instinctively fed in coordinated left roll which was the wrong thing to do.

3 - The pilot always knows the wind conditions including velocity and crosswind component prior to landing. The pilot always supersedes ATC in a situation like this and can refuse to land with such a severe crosswind and can request a runway better lined up with the wind.

Just some preliminary thoughts until we know more.

Guest Guest
Scary video, especially as a pilot for many years. Don't know all the circumstances but it appears that it may be the pilot who will be on the carpet for the following reasons:

1 - Delayed recognition of a problem and delayed initiation of a go-around procedure.

2 - The left wing down attitude that compounded the problem and caused the left wing to hit the ground; appears that it could have been pilot initiated. There were no roll control problems until the pilot attempted to yaw the aircraft to the left to minimize a touchdown in a "crabbed' configuration. He may have instinctively fed in coordinated left roll which was the wrong thing to do.

3 - The pilot always knows the wind conditions including velocity and crosswind component prior to landing. The pilot always supersedes ATC in a situation like this and can refuse to land with such a severe crosswind and can request a runway better lined up with the wind.

Just some preliminary thoughts until we know more.

It was the copillot who landed the plane.

I have seen some terrible car accidents. It does not stop me from driving.

Guest Guest

If you don't fly, how do you travel on longer trips - for example the West Coast, Europe, or the Carribean?

If you don't fly, how do you travel on longer trips - for example the West Coast, Europe, or the Carribean?
Furthest Ive been out of Bing is Florida. Im not much for other countries and Ive never been to the west coast. However if I did go to the West coast I love driving so Id probably drive. Only time with my feet off the ground was bungie jumpping and that was not by choice.

Guest weinermobile

I have to say that while I have not flown a lot, and I am not a particularly big fan of flying (it's a necessity when your car won't get you there), I did have the opportunity to fly Lufthansa and it is one of the finest airlines out there. The most important thing that I try to remember when flying is that the pilot has no desire to die!!!! So it is just as important for him/her to reach their destination as it is for us.

Crosswinds are winds that don't blow parallel to the runway and something that pilots have to battle regularly when they are landing. I am not sure how these are measured and how much information a pilot can have about their speed until he/she starts to land. Maybe aborting the landing was not something he could have done since he may have been too far into it. He did land the plane successfully on another runway where the crosswind was less, so I guess we could all wonder why he didn't do that in the first place. Again, I don't necessarily understand the technicalities of flying - just get me there safely.

Flying is by far much safer than traveling the same distance in a car.

Because of Sept 11 and the continued terrorist threats which resulted in the heightened fears of most Americans, researches have decided to recalculate the flying risks. They compared the scheduled domestic passenger operations of 10 major US airlines and travel by cars, light trucks, vans and sport utility vehicles on rural interstate highways that would be used as an alternative to flying on a type of road that is particularly safe per distance traveled. Their conclusion showed that driving the length of a typical nonstop flight — 1,157 km or 719 miles — is 65 times as risky as flying. In fact, "for this type of flying to become as risky as driving, disastrous airline incidents on the scale of those of Sep 11 would have to occur about once a month,"

http://www.geocities.com/khlim777_my/asFAQ30.htm#Is

Both ATC (air traffic control) stations, approach control (radar vectors to the airport and the landing approach) and the tower (final clearance to land) have real time wind speed and direction. On days with high winds and variable directions, you will hear pilots continually requesting "wind checks" from whomever they are talking to on the radio. Many times I have requested numerous "wind checks" on an approach.

Actually, this Lufthansa video should give people comfort for many reasons. First, the incredible aircraft technology today that provides incredible thrust to get them out of situations like you saw. Second, the aircraft design that allows a wing to touch without self-destructing. Third, the training where pilots have the skill to recover from unexpected situations like you saw, no matter what caused the situation. Fourth, there are two pilots up front, not just one. If, as a previous post indicated, the right seat (co-pilot) attempted the first landing, I'm guessing that the left seat (pilot) made the second approach.

You can argue the 65 times more dangerous to drive than to fly statistic. But whatever number you come up with, you are much safer flying.

Realize that flying is safer than driving. Still don't like to do it but have to sometimes. Anyway, it's not the flying I'm afraid of - it's the sudden impact!
Exactly.....its not the falling out of the sky its the sudden stop at the end.

Guest Guest
I have to say that while I have not flown a lot, and I am not a particularly big fan of flying (it's a necessity when your car won't get you there), I did have the opportunity to fly Lufthansa and it is one of the finest airlines out there. The most important thing that I try to remember when flying is that the pilot has no desire to die!!!! So it is just as important for him/her to reach their destination as it is for us.

Crosswinds are winds that don't blow parallel to the runway and something that pilots have to battle regularly when they are landing. I am not sure how these are measured and how much information a pilot can have about their speed until he/she starts to land. Maybe aborting the landing was not something he could have done since he may have been too far into it. He did land the plane successfully on another runway where the crosswind was less, so I guess we could all wonder why he didn't do that in the first place. Again, I don't necessarily understand the technicalities of flying - just get me there safely.

What if he is really depressed that day? :mellow:

Archived