Maines Getting a Union

Guest Dora

I understand a union is trying to get into Maines again. What is wrong with the employees there????!!!! I hear almost daily how bad Maines treats their employees and how their pay is very poor. From what I understand its hard to get anyone to work for them or to stay with them for very long. The employees should be jumping up and down to do what they can to get a union in there!!! I don't understand.

I understand that it might mean a little more out of your paycheck for dues, but think about the effects of having a union on your side! If you think you have any one of the management on your side there as an employee, you are sadly mistaken. The management there will think nothing of using and abusing any one of their employees to get done what they need.

The union will help get you raises that you deserve. Truck drivers - do some of you get raises while others dont for various reasons? Do they keep adding more to your routes all the time so that its hard for you to do your job without getting hurt and gettingt it done with the time contraints you have? How many drivers work for Maines now that are hurt and out on leave? Do you think Maines cares? Of course not!! I heard the management had big meetings the other day on how to talk the employees out of wanting a union......or should I say - talked about how to properly threaten employees if a union comes in.

Come on - all you employees at Maines - help get that Union in. It'll be the best thing in the world for a better work environement for everyone who is not management. I don't understand how you can whine about how badly they treat you and back down to a Union. The Maines boys need to learn how to treat their employees with respect!!!! Get that union in there!!!!!!

Guest Satan

I understand a union is trying to get into Maines again. What is wrong with the employees there????!!!! I hear almost daily how bad Maines treats their employees and how their pay is very poor. From what I understand its hard to get anyone to work for them or to stay with them for very long. The employees should be jumping up and down to do what they can to get a union in there!!! I don't understand.

I understand that it might mean a little more out of your paycheck for dues, but think about the effects of having a union on your side! If you think you have any one of the management on your side there as an employee, you are sadly mistaken. The management there will think nothing of using and abusing any one of their employees to get done what they need.

The union will help get you raises that you deserve. Truck drivers - do some of you get raises while others dont for various reasons? Do they keep adding more to your routes all the time so that its hard for you to do your job without getting hurt and gettingt it done with the time contraints you have? How many drivers work for Maines now that are hurt and out on leave? Do you think Maines cares? Of course not!! I heard the management had big meetings the other day on how to talk the employees out of wanting a union......or should I say - talked about how to properly threaten employees if a union comes in.

Come on - all you employees at Maines - help get that Union in. It'll be the best thing in the world for a better work environement for everyone who is not management. I don't understand how you can whine about how badly they treat you and back down to a Union. The Maines boys need to learn how to treat their employees with respect!!!! Get that union in there!!!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, if I understand you correctly, I think you are saying employees should consider voting for a union.

Guest Union Yes!

I can tell you from personal experience that Maines will resort to ANYTHING to keep unions out.

He hates people that stick up for themselves or speak out or have an opinion. He is ruthless.

He loves to strike fear into his employees hearts and souls.. He is not one to keep his word.

If the union escalates; he will escalate! You've got a fight on your hands.

If the union you are referring to is the Teamsters, then they will battle Maines quite well...and will win if they want it.

The employees need to stand up and fight back. Maines will threaten to move to PA or somewhere else.

He's been doing that for years, and every time his 'lackey' NYS Senator talks him out of it by giving

him taxpayer funded incentives and no accountability.

Bobbie Dunker, Teamsters Local 693 President, has dealt with Maines in the past.

Maines tried to have her arrested for handing out flyers on public property.

She didn't budge; even after a Sheriff's (they are union, too) deputy threatened to arrest her.

She knew she had the American right to be there, organizing. They let her be.

She's nobody's fool. I applaud her, wholeheartedly! She's the best union sister a boy could have.

Americans work best when they say Union Yes!

Guest Guest

Yes if a Union tries to get into Maines the owners will threaten to move to Pennsylvannia again!! Link Simulator tried to unionize many years ago and Edwin Link stated that if they did he would move the whole operation to North Carolina.

Guest Guest
They aren't moving anywhere.

Likely we (the consumer) will pay for it in the end.

Unions were needed in 1896, not in 2008.

Spoken like a true idiot! :blink:

Guest Guest

I will quote Bill Maines " I will fire anyone who even thinks about the union and if the union does come into my business I will shut the place down lock, stock and barrel."

I think that says it all...

I will quote Bill Maines " I will fire anyone who even thinks about the union and if the union does come into my business I will shut the place down lock, stock and barrel."

I think that says it all...

I doubt that the boys would lock the place up.

I am not even sure they could fire anyone for trying to unionize tyhe place I think there is legal protection from that.

Guest Guest
I doubt that the boys would lock the place up.

I am not even sure they could fire anyone for trying to unionize tyhe place I think there is legal protection from that.

they can do anything they want, its thier company and they would go broke to keep the union out of the place. You see change is not good in the eyes of the Maines boys...

they can do anything they want, its thier company and they would go broke to keep the union out of the place. You see change is not good in the eyes of the Maines boys...

I do not belive you are correct.

First closing the place down? Hardly an option.

Not to mention the family glory the place has been in business since 1901.

Then there is the issue of all the state money?

Etc etc etc

I work there and will vote against a union if it comes to that. I used to think that unions were great until my wife got a union job. They did nothing for her and only cared about collecting dues. I will take on management myself if I have to, at least I know that way SOMEONE is saying what needs to be said.

Guest Guest
I work there and will vote against a union if it comes to that. I used to think that unions were great until my wife got a union job. They did nothing for her and only cared about collecting dues. I will take on management myself if I have to, at least I know that way SOMEONE is saying what needs to be said.

You know as well as i do there will never be a vote on the union, Bill and David and the family that is in the grave, is dead against it. I am not sure how long you have been with the company but this comes around every few year and it never changes, people will found out who brought the union talk in and they will lose the job that had.

They know if the union comes in the family business is no longer thiers and the bottom line will be they won't have it.

You know as well as i do there will never be a vote on the union, Bill and David and the family that is in the grave, is dead against it. I am not sure how long you have been with the company but this comes around every few year and it never changes, people will found out who brought the union talk in and they will lose the job that had.

They know if the union comes in the family business is no longer thiers and the bottom line will be they won't have it.

I believe you are 100% correct and it is not so bad being non union. Anyone who complaines about school taxes or about jobs being shipped overseas can thank unions. They suck money out of the system and make things less competetive. I have yet to hear one single story where the union did good for the employee (in recent times).

Guest Guest

I understand why you would feel the way you do. However, not every union is the same. There are some good, and there are some not so good. Unfortunately, corporate greed and the current times most employees find themselves in now, do not leave much recourse for people to be able to take on management individually without immediately losing their jobs. Most unions offer at least some protection against people such as the Maines' brothers.

Many years ago, the Medicare division in Binghamton went through a union vote. It was nasty -- and by that, I mean on the part of management. People were continuously threatened with losing their jobs if they voted for the union, etc. The majority of those around me in my department were very loyal to the company, and very anti-union. They believed the union was not necessary, that the company would make necessary changes on their own and would do the right thing. The union ultimately lost out on the vote. And what happened immediately after? Did the company appreciate the vote of confidence its employees had given them? Nope. They immediately came down on EVERYONE with an iron fist. In the years that followed, there was mandatory overtime for some departments for over a year because of management's refusal to hire enough people to do the job. There were reductions in benefits. Now, you may ask, why would the company do those things. Simply -- because they could! They had free reign after the election because by law, another union election could not be held again for a certain number of years. And I tell you honestly -- every single person I knew who had previously been very anti-union became very bitter and resentful towards the company and regretted having not voted for the union.

Guest Guest
I understand why you would feel the way you do. However, not every union is the same. There are some good, and there are some not so good. Unfortunately, corporate greed and the current times most employees find themselves in now, do not leave much recourse for people to be able to take on management individually without immediately losing their jobs. Most unions offer at least some protection against people such as the Maines' brothers.

Many years ago, the Medicare division in Binghamton went through a union vote. It was nasty -- and by that, I mean on the part of management. People were continuously threatened with losing their jobs if they voted for the union, etc. The majority of those around me in my department were very loyal to the company, and very anti-union. They believed the union was not necessary, that the company would make necessary changes on their own and would do the right thing. The union ultimately lost out on the vote. And what happened immediately after? Did the company appreciate the vote of confidence its employees had given them? Nope. They immediately came down on EVERYONE with an iron fist. In the years that followed, there was mandatory overtime for some departments for over a year because of management's refusal to hire enough people to do the job. There were reductions in benefits. Now, you may ask, why would the company do those things. Simply -- because they could! They had free reign after the election because by law, another union election could not be held again for a certain number of years. And I tell you honestly -- every single person I knew who had previously been very anti-union became very bitter and resentful towards the company and regretted having not voted for the union.

Good or bad i can tell you maines family is Anti union! has always been and will always be.

Guest Guest

I work at Maines and I am not sure a union would do anything for us. But on the other hand it does open Bill and Daves eyes to some of the problems that management shoves under the rug to make themselves look like they are worth the salary they get paid. (They are not). Hopefully this brings the boys in from the islands and they make changes without the need for a union. Todays union is not like the past-they are powerless and they just suck money from people that ae underpaid as it is. They just brought in a new director and he is going to be trouble big time. If thats what the Maines boys want, than I just lost any respect I had left.

Guest Guest
I work at Maines and I am not sure a union would do anything for us. But on the other hand it does open Bill and Daves eyes to some of the problems that management shoves under the rug to make themselves look like they are worth the salary they get paid. (They are not). Hopefully this brings the boys in from the islands and they make changes without the need for a union. Todays union is not like the past-they are powerless and they just suck money from people that ae underpaid as it is. They just brought in a new director and he is going to be trouble big time. If thats what the Maines boys want, than I just lost any respect I had left.

I hear that there is a "few" employees at the islands right now being wooed into staying with maines for a few more years...

Anyone know who they are???

Guest Guest
Spoken like a true idiot! :blink:

I think he spoke quite well. Unions are interested in one thing, making the union money and lining their own pockets. True, they will drive up the wages for Maines employees and then Maines will raise product prices to compensate. I wouldnt rule out moving either. The consumer will pay in the end. Look what unions did for GM. Practically bankrupted them. Not to mention the other car companies. The product was not good you say? Could it have been they (GM) had to skimp here and there to pay the bloated union wages??

Guest Guest
I think he spoke quite well. Unions are interested in one thing, making the union money and lining their own pockets. True, they will drive up the wages for Maines employees and then Maines will raise product prices to compensate. I wouldnt rule out moving either. The consumer will pay in the end. Look what unions did for GM. Practically bankrupted them. Not to mention the other car companies. The product was not good you say? Could it have been they (GM) had to skimp here and there to pay the bloated union wages??

Well, if it comes down to lining the pockets of unions or lining those of fat, corporate executives, I guess I'll always vote for the unions.

Speaking of bloated union wages, do you happen to have the current stats on how those poor, GM executives' salaries and golden parachutes have suffered as a result of unions?

Guest Guest

Apparently the Maines boys are doing a good job of threatening everyone who works there. I do know there are good unions and bad unions. And yes, there are dues involved. Do I think they are lining their own pockets? Oh wait, is this any different than the Maines boys paying so poorly and working everyone so hard just so they can spend time smooshing on the islands????? What are you guys thinking?? Here's some of the things this union will do for you. Make sure everyone gets paid the same rate. There are many working there doing the same job and not getting paid the same rate. Are you forced to cram 60 hours of work into a 40 hour week because they won't pay an ounce of ovetime? People are getting hurt right and left there and many are leaving before they get hurt because they can't do the job safely. Do you care about yourselves enough to worry about geting hurt? You will lose your job if you do get hurt. The Maines boys will find a way to get ride of you. Truck drivers - are being given more and more to do on your routes with the same time? How many of you are getting hurt trying to get the job done? How many of you run out of hours - federal regulations - do they care?? They want you to finish the route - do they care if you get caught??? Its your problem, not theirs!! Think about all these things. A union will help with these issues. Any one of you that thinks the Maines boys will work to resolve issues are so blindsighted its scary. The Maines boys have got it all figured out. Slave help, low pay, no respect for their employees and inflicting the fear of God in everyone with the treats of being fired!!!!

Its sad that that grown adults can't stick together to form a bond and try to help yourselves get fair, good, safe employment. Shame on you all for letting the Maines boys get the best of you.....Just remember this while they are in the Islands enjoying the sweet life!! Think about your "sweet" life.

Apparently the Maines boys are doing a good job of threatening everyone who works there. I do know there are good unions and bad unions. And yes, there are dues involved. Do I think they are lining their own pockets? Oh wait, is this any different than the Maines boys paying so poorly and working everyone so hard just so they can spend time smooshing on the islands????? What are you guys thinking?? Here's some of the things this union will do for you. Make sure everyone gets paid the same rate. There are many working there doing the same job and not getting paid the same rate. Are you forced to cram 60 hours of work into a 40 hour week because they won't pay an ounce of ovetime? People are getting hurt right and left there and many are leaving before they get hurt because they can't do the job safely. Do you care about yourselves enough to worry about geting hurt? You will lose your job if you do get hurt. The Maines boys will find a way to get ride of you. Truck drivers - are being given more and more to do on your routes with the same time? How many of you are getting hurt trying to get the job done? How many of you run out of hours - federal regulations - do they care?? They want you to finish the route - do they care if you get caught??? Its your problem, not theirs!! Think about all these things. A union will help with these issues. Any one of you that thinks the Maines boys will work to resolve issues are so blindsighted its scary. The Maines boys have got it all figured out. Slave help, low pay, no respect for their employees and inflicting the fear of God in everyone with the treats of being fired!!!!

Its sad that that grown adults can't stick together to form a bond and try to help yourselves get fair, good, safe employment. Shame on you all for letting the Maines boys get the best of you.....Just remember this while they are in the Islands enjoying the sweet life!! Think about your "sweet" life.

I for one am doing OK there. I only work more than 40hrs. when I want to. Also, since I have been there awhile I am one of the ones getting paid good money. It's called senority and the people who don't have the guts or strength to stay on for awhile won't make it. The law states that the employees have the choice to either unionize or not. Let what happens happen. Why are you so concerned about it? Are you a union rep. just licking your lips to try and get in there and make a bundle?

Guest Guest
Yes if a Union tries to get into Maines the owners will threaten to move to Pennsylvannia again!! Link Simulator tried to unionize many years ago and Edwin Link stated that if they did he would move the whole operation to North Carolina.

Yes it is too bad that IBM never go into a UNION..then the people's retirement and medical wouldn't be so screwed up now..ibm'ers got ripped off by not being in a UNION.

Archived