Maines Getting a Union

Guest Dora

Guest Guest
I for one am doing OK there. I only work more than 40hrs. when I want to. Also, since I have been there awhile I am one of the ones getting paid good money. It's called senority and the people who don't have the guts or strength to stay on for awhile won't make it. The law states that the employees have the choice to either unionize or not. Let what happens happen. Why are you so concerned about it? Are you a union rep. just licking your lips to try and get in there and make a bundle?

Are you topped out on the pay scale yet? I know many who are seriouly thinking of leaving in fear of never getting anything more then a cost of living raise. Also many who have taking thier kids off the insurace and switched them to CHP because of the problem of things not being covered, Heart meds, PT, and other things. The co paymensts alone are breaking people.

Guest guest

I do work for Maines so I'm not a"boot licker" union rep. I am amazed that you get more than 40 hours in a week. If I go even 5 minutes over th 40 hour mark, there is a reprimand for doing so. I also am at the top of the pay scale so no longer entitled to any raises each year. Apparently they feel I make too much money now. I just think there are so many issues with the management at Maines and the fact that I witness first hand how many people are treated very poorly while working, that i think a union would be a good thing to have someone on our side. I stand up for myself there at least once a week so I am not taken advantage of. However, every time I do so, I'm on the top of the bosses crap list for a few days = until he wants me to do something else.

I just wish people wouldn't be so closed minded or see what something else at some other company is doing. Every company is unique in the needs and this company is one where the management is far too superior and close minded and self serving. I work hard every day that I work. Never take any sick time, and still have the work ethic I was taught. I like the job that I do, I just dont' like the company I'm doing it for because I know that I'm nobody to them. Every year the cost of health insurance goes up and the benefits go down. It just seems that its not right that the Maines boys are making so much money that treating their employees more fairly wouldn't kill them. I still believe in the old adage "you can get more with honey than with vinegar". If they applied a little more honey for the employees, they wouldn't have to be worried about Unions knocking on the door.

Remember the union was made aware of all the issues of the employees......they didn't just decide to pick on Maines. They are aware of the way the Maines brothers do business. Threatening to leave is just a bullies method - they act like children. ........if I can have my way, no one else will either. Hmmmmm...I guess that is part of the problem. I don't believe their father taught them the bully method.

hey just brought in a new director and he is going to be trouble big time. If thats what the Maines boys want, than I just lost any respect I had left.

Who's that?

Guest Guest

I do not belive you are correct.

First closing the place down? Hardly an option.

Not to mention the family glory the place has been in business since 1901.

Then there is the issue of all the state money?

Etc etc etc

I am a union activist,steward, and grievance rep. I have been doing this a long time He is incorrect and I will be standing outside picketing. I will also be representing anyone who does get fired for promoting the union. We can take on IBM We will take on Maines

Guest Guest

Does anyone out there know how many people they employ locally versus total company? Isn't there already a facility down south? I know there was talk of one. The Maines are shrewd business people, and the two "boys" have grown the company at least 10 fold. The jobs and money they are bringing into this community are massive. Think of the construction crews working full time on their various mansions. We should be applauding their success and the fact that they spread as much around as they do.

Health care costs are skyrocketing everywhere. So don't kid yourselves thinking the Maines are raising your co-pays and so on just to line their pockets further. Fuel prices have been a little crazy lately. Has anyone noticed? Isn't this primarily a trucking and distribution business?

I say get your heads in the game. Work your butt off and be thankful that you are putting bread on the table. I beleive they would move. Not to spite anyone, just to keep doing what they're doing, running a successful business. The decision to stay here a few years back when Libous gave them so many concessions ( he got a cottage at Oqauga Lake out of the deal) was really a decision. Not an idle threat. Business is very tough in this country right now. And its probably going to get worse before it gets better. I bet Abdul the cab driver in New York City would love to get his CDL and take your job for less money.

Unionizing - bad idea.

Guest David
Does anyone out there know how many people they employ locally versus total company? Isn't there already a facility down south? I know there was talk of one. The Maines are shrewd business people, and the two "boys" have grown the company at least 10 fold. The jobs and money they are bringing into this community are massive. Think of the construction crews working full time on their various mansions. We should be applauding their success and the fact that they spread as much around as they do.

Health care costs are skyrocketing everywhere. So don't kid yourselves thinking the Maines are raising your co-pays and so on just to line their pockets further. Fuel prices have been a little crazy lately. Has anyone noticed? Isn't this primarily a trucking and distribution business?

I say get your heads in the game. Work your butt off and be thankful that you are putting bread on the table. I beleive they would move. Not to spite anyone, just to keep doing what they're doing, running a successful business. The decision to stay here a few years back when Libous gave them so many concessions ( he got a cottage at Oqauga Lake out of the deal) was really a decision. Not an idle threat. Business is very tough in this country right now. And its probably going to get worse before it gets better. I bet Abdul the cab driver in New York City would love to get his CDL and take your job for less money.

Unionizing - bad idea.

Thanks, Bill, for your wisdom.

Guest Guest

I suppose it's not ling one's pocket or being greedy to cap out salaries and have no raise for 10 years, not even for cost of living adjustments?The cost of fuel for cars, heating, food medical, etc have gone up up up for the employee also.

Guest Guest
I suppose it's not ling one's pocket or being greedy to cap out salaries and have no raise for 10 years, not even for cost of living adjustments?The cost of fuel for cars, heating, food medical, etc have gone up up up for the employee also.

No raise for 10 years? Why don't you quit? My guess is they would like that very much.

Guest Guest
No raise for 10 years? Why don't you quit? My guess is they would like that very much.

where should i go? I need to make at least $17.75 an hour ( thats what i make now) I have no skills other then driving a fork lift in freezer. I need insurace i need the job to be somewhat near my home so gas prices won't kill me. where should i ever start looking for a new job???

Guest Guest

Now that Mr.Maines has passed away, we knew we would be at the mercy of the 2 sons. So they hired some hasbeens from US Foods and left town. We will never get that salary cap raised and they will show us the door if we don"t like it.The Maines brothers only look at the numbers and we are all a number. The lower the wage the more they can put away for the Great,great,great, great, grandchild so they never have to work.Its a sad place to work to say the least. We have a solid reputation in that respect.I worked when it was a family and it was a decent place to work. I guess that had to go as we got huge and its a shame.

Unionizing - bad idea.

They have facilities in Westborough, MA, Farmingdale Long Island, Hanover Park, IL, Cleveland, OH, Savage MD, and just outside of Memphis, TN. (Besides the ones here)

where should i go? I need to make at least $17.75 an hour ( thats what i make now) I have no skills other then driving a fork lift in freezer. I need insurace i need the job to be somewhat near my home so gas prices won't kill me. where should i ever start looking for a new job???

So Maines is paying someone with no skills (other than driving a forklift which is something 95% of the employable population could learn in 2 weeks) nearly 37K a year PLUS benefits? Wow, sounds like it's time for a massive revolution :rolleyes: .

Now that Mr.Maines has passed away, we knew we would be at the mercy of the 2 sons. So they hired some hasbeens from US Foods and left town. We will never get that salary cap raised and they will show us the door if we don"t like it.The Maines brothers only look at the numbers and we are all a number. The lower the wage the more they can put away for the Great,great,great, great, grandchild so they never have to work.Its a sad place to work to say the least. We have a solid reputation in that respect.I worked when it was a family and it was a decent place to work. I guess that had to go as we got huge and its a shame.

Don't kid yourself. The old man was exactly the same. They make him out to be a hero, but he was a greedy old fart with the same intentions as the other two.

Archived