Did the Chamber invite you?

Ed Arzouian

I hear the Greater Binghamton Chamber of Commerce, you know, the one that did not endorse Matt Ryan, is inviting its members to join Ryan for the launch of the Binghamtot municipal wifi network.

While the Chamber members are there they can ask the Chamber what they will do and say after this thing has lost $60,000 or $90,000 and collapsed after two years or less.

Don't forget Tarik Abdelazim's comment that this muni wifi network is all about "equality and justice", so ask him who is buying the hardware needed so everybody will have access to the network. Tarik admitted that with user fees the system would lose about $15,000 per year but he said it was worth it, after all it is not his money but yours. Now without user fees how much will the system lose, Tarik?

Thank Matt and Tarik on behalf of all those 434 registered sex offenders in Greater Binghamton who will now have completely unmonitored and unlimited Internet access to prey on children on-line. They will now be able to hang out in downtown establishments for hours cruising the Net.

Also, why not ask Matt how much he will raise business taxes this year. He has increased taxes by 15% in two years will he send it over 20% or 25% this year?

Remember he is showing the world Binghamton is opened for business despite all those he keeps causing to close.

No, I didn't get an "invite". (And, I doubt I'll be on the "Christmas card list," either, after this post gets read, analyzed, and publicized).

I tried using the Binghamton WiFi service today with mixed results. Maybe the weather is degrading the signal or something (ice on the transmitters?). What was really baffling was that twice, while trying to re-establish a dropped or lost connection, my browser was automatically re-directed to the website of "Binghamton Wireless" (www.binghamtonwireless.com) immediately after appearing to have been logged back onto the "Binghamton WiFi" wireless network as a "trial user".

These are NOT one and the same as some BC Voice posters have mistakely stated in other threads, but -- lo and behold -- there is a "connection".

According the the "About Us" tab/page on the "Binghamton Wireless" website, "Binghamton Wireless" (address: P.O. Box 2687, Binghamton, New York 13902-2687) is a division of Plexicomm, LLC, the same company contracted by the City to set-up and run the "Binghamton WiFi" network.

Thus, it seems that "Binghamton Wireless" (operated as a division of Plexicomm, LLC) is A COMPETITOR of the "Binghamton WiFi" network. On its website, "Binghamton Wireless" boasts county-wide residential wireless internet service (and beyond -- including OWEGO, NORWICH, SIDNEY, SAYRE AND WAVERLY), so "Binghamton Wireless" can't be the City's "Binghamton WiFi" wireless network which is only going to be available in parts of the downtown area.

So, what motivation does Plexicomm, LLC really have to do the best job possible for the City if it's trying to siphon off customers for its own competing wireless internet network by an imbedded programming device that causes folks logging on to "Binghamton WiFi" to occasionally wind up being re-directed to the website of "Binghamton Wireless"? (Oops!).

The Ryan administration wouldn't have forgotten to prohibit unfair competition or conflicts-of-interest in its contract with Plexicomm would it? OMG! Maybe it has!

Guest Guest

Ryan gave a $60,000 gift to Plexicomm.

Follow the money and see what Tarik and Matt get in return.

Time-Warner should sue the City for unfair competition as should all those business that paid for their own wireless system like Jeff Kahn at Cyber Cafe when others got it for free.

Guest Fresh is back!
I hear the Greater Binghamton Chamber of Commerce, you know, the one that did not endorse Matt Ryan, is inviting its members to join Ryan for the launch of the Binghamtot municipal wifi network.

While the Chamber members are there they can ask the Chamber what they will do and say after this thing has lost $60,000 or $90,000 and collapsed after two years or less.

Don't forget Tarik Abdelazim's comment that this muni wifi network is all about "equality and justice", so ask him who is buying the hardware needed so everybody will have access to the network. Tarik admitted that with user fees the system would lose about $15,000 per year but he said it was worth it, after all it is not his money but yours. Now without user fees how much will the system lose, Tarik?

Thank Matt and Tarik on behalf of all those 434 registered sex offenders in Greater Binghamton who will now have completely unmonitored and unlimited Internet access to prey on children on-line. They will now be able to hang out in downtown establishments for hours cruising the Net.

Also, why not ask Matt how much he will raise business taxes this year. He has increased taxes by 15% in two years will he send it over 20% or 25% this year?

Remember he is showing the world Binghamton is opened for business despite all those he keeps causing to close.

Hey "genius" with nothing better to do....

If the 434 sex offenders get released and most of them can't get jobs & live off the state...how can they afford a $1,500 laptop with proper wireless ability?

Like I said yesterday............you all keep whining, but don't work together!

Guest Guest

Is this the same chamber of commerce that held a big cocktail party held at the Goodwill Theater not too long ago? It's hard to keep the events straight since you have so much going on there for the general public that couldn't possibly happen at existing free market facilities. Seems almost like an unfair competative edge to be providing services with taxpayer subsidized facilities.

Anyhow, I'd give the wifi project money just to watch it irritate you and spur on yet more of your comedic cranky man stylings.

Guest Guest
Anyhow, I'd give the wifi project money just to watch it irritate you and spur on yet more of your comedic cranky man stylings.

It's you money, they are going to spend it with or without you.

In two years the system will fail if not earlier.

Guest what?

You make a good point about the wi-fi giving "the wrong people" access to free internet however that is up to Myspace and Facebook (which work very closely with government officials and on their own to reduce the amount of sex-pedophiles on their sites.). I don't get how you think this will fail miserably. Now, I understand that being a resident of Binghamton requires you by law to think negative, but if you look at the other cities that are currently using wi-fi you'll see that it has come with some pretty positive results. Soon everything will be wireless and seeing someone using Internet on the street will be as common as when cell phones first came out. People will not believe it for the first few months, then everyone will jump on. Even little "cities" like Norwich are getting in on it. I just don't understand how you think this will make a negative impact.

Guest Guest

Norwich spent $200,00 not $60,000 and tied their system into public security.

That is the only time these muncipal wfi systems work. Binghamton police and fire already have their own systems and will NEVER use this free public network.

I'm not sure where you have been for the last two years but millions of dollars have been lost on muni wifi systems across the country. Most cities have cancelled or cutback their plans. Ran and Abdelazim are two years behind the curve. Tarik already admitted that with user fees the system would still lose $15,000 per year. He siad it was worth it. Now they have cancelled the user fees and made it free. How much will it lose now? $20,000 per year? $30,000 per year? $40,000 per year? Does Tarik even have a lcue? Is it worth it at the price for a handful of users ina n area where there is some access already?

The systems simply do not work and are not necessary because the technology has already moved past them. People have Internet access on their PDAs (Blackberries, etc.), hotels, restaunrants, bars now offer them as part of their customer support.

The cities are no longer needed for this.

Please provide one example of a succesful muni wifi system that is not tied to public secuirty. I can provide you with dozen of examples of the falures:

Municipal Wi-Fi Networks Run Into Financial, Technical Trouble

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274728,00.html

More Municipal Wireless Problems

WiFiNetNews says a purchase of the Tempe Arizona municipal network may be off.

Other bad news; Citywide Wi-Fi is dead in Yuma, reports the Yuma Sun. Kite Networks, has stalled the project indefinitely.

Cities Scrap Municipal Wireless Plans

Written By: Steven Titch

Published In: Info Tech & Telecom News

Publication Date: September 1, 2007

Publisher: The Heartland Institute

http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=21874

Where's My Free Wi-Fi?

Why municipal wireless networks have been such a flop.

By Tim Wu

Posted Thursday, Sept. 27, 2007, at 12:53 PM ET

http://www.slate.com/id/2174858/pagenum/all/

EarthLink hangs "for sale" sign on municipal WiFi business

By Eric Bangeman | Published: February 09, 2008 - 10:02PM CT

EarthLink announced its fourth quarter earnings late last week, and it wasn't pretty. After six straight quarters of losses, the ISP has decided to exit the municipal WiFi sector and will actively look for someone to buy the business.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080...i-business.html

http://www.dailywireless.org/2008/01/09/mo...eless-problems/

New Orleans to take city-wide WiFi network offline

By Eric Bangeman | Published: October 23, 2006 - 11:22AM CT

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans came up with a plan to help get its communications infrastructure back up and running: a free, city-wide WiFi network. Built with equipment donated by Intel, Tropos Networks, and Pronto Networks, the Crescent City's municipal WiFi network will soon be going dark.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061023-8052.html?rel

Stay Current

Features10 Reasons Your City Should Skip Municipal Wireless

(1 Comment)There are real reasons for the cool down in municipal wifi.

http://www.dailywireless.com/features/ten-...ni-wifi-101007/

Guest Guest
Hey "genius" with nothing better to do....

If the 434 sex offenders get released and most of them can't get jobs & live off the state...how can they afford a $1,500 laptop with proper wireless ability?

Like I said yesterday............you all keep whining, but don't work together!

Not a bad point.

But not every SO has been caught and arrested.

In fact, I'm sure there are many more that are active who haven't yet been caught and prosecuted than have.

I'm sure the SO's who have been caught are a drop in the bucket compared to those who haven't.

I'm sure some of the ones who have yet to be caught have jobs, computers, etc.

And how could you be certain that an SO who is out of jail now doesn't have access to a laptop that belongs to a family member or a friend?

Guest Guest
You make a good point about the wi-fi giving "the wrong people" access to free internet however that is up to Myspace and Facebook (which work very closely with government officials and on their own to reduce the amount of sex-pedophiles on their sites.). I don't get how you think this will fail miserably. Now, I understand that being a resident of Binghamton requires you by law to think negative, but if you look at the other cities that are currently using wi-fi you'll see that it has come with some pretty positive results. Soon everything will be wireless and seeing someone using Internet on the street will be as common as when cell phones first came out. People will not believe it for the first few months, then everyone will jump on. Even little "cities" like Norwich are getting in on it. I just don't understand how you think this will make a negative impact.

Oh, joy...now outsiders think Edhead is a resident of Binghamton. :rolleyes:

This guy slithered over from Canada, but thanks alot for blaming us locals for his vitriol.

I think if they sell any of the ads at these prices:

http://www.cityofbinghamton.com/pdfs/WiFi%...ate%20Sheet.pdf

it will be a huge success.

Also, there has to be some profit in the repeater boxes now advertised on the City's website under the "Binghamton WiFi" department:

http://www.cityofbinghamton.com/binghamtonwifi.asp

No wonder I couldn't get it to work inside a downtown building yesterday! (Silly me, it's "FREE" until September 30, 2008 so long as one owns or rents the necessary hardware).

The muni Wi Fi works for me! :D

That's great news, Cat's Eye. I hope that the downtown WiFi does work out very well as I think it can be a great plus that moves this City forward. I'd like to see it spread city-wide.

My experience so far hasn't been favorable as yours has, however (but, I'm willing to be patient while they work out the kinks).

I'm wondering what connection speeds you are achieving and whether you are in a building that has one of the repeaters the City will be selling/leasing. Also, do you know which access point your signal is coming from?

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

Guest Guest

$200 for a repeater and a $10 monthly fee to get this to work (maybe) in your space (bar, restaurant, etc.). If any of these businesses already have their own ISP (and I'l bet they al do) they can install theri own system for about the same price and never have to deal with the City and control the system themselves. Why would you buy the city's repeater and pay them a fee?

I would not spend one cent of the advertising budgets I have in three companies to advertise on that network when I could spend less here and get more people form a much broader area.

Guest Guest

the 0bsession continues on and on - another day - another week - another month - another year

That's great news, Cat's Eye. I hope that the downtown WiFi does work out very well as I think it can be a great plus that moves this City forward. I'd like to see it spread city-wide.

My experience so far hasn't been favorable as yours has, however (but, I'm willing to be patient while they work out the kinks).

I'm wondering what connection speeds you are achieving and whether you are in a building that has one of the repeaters the City will be selling/leasing. Also, do you know which access point your signal is coming from?

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

I have three bars and no repeater. I'm not sure if all points in the building are getting a clear signal yet. I don't know where my access signal is coming from. Sorry I can't be of more help. How and where is your signal?

Guest Guest

I wonder how the Chamber feels, turns out the Binghamton wifi signal doesn't even work outside the Chamber's office at the Metrocenter, the heart of downtown!

Want to bet they get a clear signal at the Dixie Hotel?

Guest Guest

It's actually quite simple. NOTHING satifies these whiners. They live to complain. Doesn't matter what the subject, or what the benefit, they will complain just for the sake of complaining. I don't even pay attention to these losers anymore. It's quite hilarious that they believe their statements actually make an impact. Let them live in their pathetic world, I prefer my optimistic one.

Guest Guest
Norwich spent $200,00 not $60,000 and tied their system into public security.

That is the only time these muncipal wfi systems work. Binghamton police and fire already have their own systems and will NEVER use this free public network.

I'm not sure where you have been for the last two years but millions of dollars have been lost on muni wifi systems across the country. Most cities have cancelled or cutback their plans. Ran and Abdelazim are two years behind the curve. Tarik already admitted that with user fees the system would still lose $15,000 per year. He siad it was worth it. Now they have cancelled the user fees and made it free. How much will it lose now? $20,000 per year? $30,000 per year? $40,000 per year? Does Tarik even have a lcue? Is it worth it at the price for a handful of users ina n area where there is some access already?

The systems simply do not work and are not necessary because the technology has already moved past them. People have Internet access on their PDAs (Blackberries, etc.), hotels, restaunrants, bars now offer them as part of their customer support.

The cities are no longer needed for this.

Please provide one example of a succesful muni wifi system that is not tied to public secuirty. I can provide you with dozen of examples of the falures:

Municipal Wi-Fi Networks Run Into Financial, Technical Trouble

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274728,00.html

More Municipal Wireless Problems

WiFiNetNews says a purchase of the Tempe Arizona municipal network may be off.

Other bad news; Citywide Wi-Fi is dead in Yuma, reports the Yuma Sun. Kite Networks, has stalled the project indefinitely.

Cities Scrap Municipal Wireless Plans

Written By: Steven Titch

Published In: Info Tech & Telecom News

Publication Date: September 1, 2007

Publisher: The Heartland Institute

http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=21874

Where's My Free Wi-Fi?

Why municipal wireless networks have been such a flop.

By Tim Wu

Posted Thursday, Sept. 27, 2007, at 12:53 PM ET

http://www.slate.com/id/2174858/pagenum/all/

EarthLink hangs "for sale" sign on municipal WiFi business

By Eric Bangeman | Published: February 09, 2008 - 10:02PM CT

EarthLink announced its fourth quarter earnings late last week, and it wasn't pretty. After six straight quarters of losses, the ISP has decided to exit the municipal WiFi sector and will actively look for someone to buy the business.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080...i-business.html

http://www.dailywireless.org/2008/01/09/mo...eless-problems/

New Orleans to take city-wide WiFi network offline

By Eric Bangeman | Published: October 23, 2006 - 11:22AM CT

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans came up with a plan to help get its communications infrastructure back up and running: a free, city-wide WiFi network. Built with equipment donated by Intel, Tropos Networks, and Pronto Networks, the Crescent City's municipal WiFi network will soon be going dark.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061023-8052.html?rel

Stay Current

Features10 Reasons Your City Should Skip Municipal Wireless

(1 Comment)There are real reasons for the cool down in municipal wifi.

http://www.dailywireless.com/features/ten-...ni-wifi-101007/

Yeah right. We should NEVER try to improve our community. idiot.

Guest Guest

You prefer to pour money down the drain on a project that will fail in less than two years?

Look around the country, it has failed in prosperous towns and cities run by people who know what they are doing.

You think the Doofus Duo, Ryan and Abdelazim, will pull it off when nobody else has?

Tarik never held a job before being appointed by Ryan. He created the "business model" which he himself admitted would lose $15,000 per year and then changed that so it will lose more.

Ryan didn't own a clothes dryer prior to 2004 and was shoving women around laundroMatts.

You people elected this misfit and inherited his lunatics. Now you are paying the price.

I have three bars and no repeater. . . . How and where is your signal?

I'm near Commercial Alley and also tried it from the top of the State Street Parking Ramp and across the street at the MetroCenter.

Most of the time only one bar, even outside. Occasionally two bars. Connection times out when you try to log in to e-mail or send something. When you try to re-acquire the signal, you wind up on the "Binghamton Wireless" website. Other folks are having the same result with their laptops, so I don't think it's just my equipment.

Now that I see there's a "tech support" number, I'll call to see if they have any suggestions. Maybe there needs to be an additional transmitter added in this area of the neighborhood (since the City owns the State Street Ramp, it doesn't seem like they'd have any problem putting one up there on one of the light masts). Commercial Alley is one of the few places downtown with some outdoor benches -- if WiFi can be improved here I'd bet some of the adjoining landlords could be motivated to help improve the curb appeal of this area, which would further help to promote increased foot traffic over here.

Archived