Did the Chamber invite you?

Ed Arzouian

Guest Guest

It is all hype.

More Ryan waste and lies, a substitute press conference for lack of actually accomplishing something substantial.

If they needed $200,000 to connect a small section of Norwich, NY and they needed well over $700,000 to connect a small section of Austin, TX how much do you think it would take to connect downtown Binghamton well?

A lot more than what they got.

But it doesn't matter.

It is all about Ryan and Abdelazim siphoning money on a no-bid contract to cronies.

I'm near Commercial Alley and also tried it from the top of the State Street Parking Ramp and across the street at the MetroCenter.

Most of the time only one bar, even outside. Occasionally two bars. Connection times out when you try to log in to e-mail or send something. When you try to re-acquire the signal, you wind up on the "Binghamton Wireless" website. Other folks are having the same result with their laptops, so I don't think it's just my equipment.

Now that I see there's a "tech support" number, I'll call to see if they have any suggestions. Maybe there needs to be an additional transmitter added in this area of the neighborhood (since the City owns the State Street Ramp, it doesn't seem like they'd have any problem putting one up there on one of the light masts). Commercial Alley is one of the few places downtown with some outdoor benches -- if WiFi can be improved here I'd bet some of the adjoining landlords could be motivated to help improve the curb appeal of this area, which would further help to promote increased foot traffic over here.

There definitely are kinks to work out in the system, but that's pretty much expected with most new technology like this. More signals are going to be put on Court St which hopefully will be picked up in Commercial Alley for you. You're right, that could be a really nice nook in the city to sit on your laptop with the benches and trees/plants. Why don't you send Tarik an email with this idea in mind?

Binghamton Wireless needs to redirect www.binghamtonwifi.com to the actual site, not their own. That was pretty crappy for Plexicom to do that to the city. They're trying to get more advertising with their own Binghamton Wireless site by redirecting you.

I'm sure most of these problems will be solved in the coming weeks.

Guest Guest

Cat's Eye weren't you also sure the system would work inside?

Should I search for your quotes on that?

You do realize that at $200 for a repeater that is more expensive than if proprietors bought a wireless router on their own and used their own system?

Cat's Eye weren't you also sure the system would work inside?

Should I search for your quotes on that?

You do realize that at $200 for a repeater that is more expensive than if proprietors bought a wireless router on their own and used their own system?

So what Ed!

I'd rather support our city's fund and not Circuit City or Radio Shack headquarters. The $200 is a one time fee! Downtowners are also still saving a lot of $ without having to pay $50 mo. to Time Warner. for the Internet. You can't argue this.

Guest Guest

After buying a repeater AND paying $10 per month, assuming they have wifi cards they will have a poor limited service.

Most, like in the case of the owner of Pirate's Chest, will keep their Verizon, Time-Warner, Plexicomm ISP service and get the city service.

I doubt anybody thinks this thing will last past the span of the grant which is two years.

In fact Tarik said, "If all of the ads are sold, the city would bring in $50,000, which, combined with the grant, would be enough to pay for the network for almost two years, said Tarik Abdelazim, executive assistant to the mayor."

If ALL the ads are sold AND with the grant, they would have enough to ALMOST pay for the project for two years.

What then????

What will they do when the grant is gone and all the ads are NOT sold??? Can this ever stand on it own?

If it last at all it will require user fees and the city is ill-equipped to collect them. So is Plexicomm, it does not have many small users.

This is all just more meaningless Matt Ryan hype. This will do nothing for anything or anyone and cost us $100,000.

After buying a repeater AND paying $10 per month, assuming they have wifi cards they will have a poor limited service.

Most, like in the case of the owner of Pirate's Chest, will keep their Verizon, Time-Warner, Plexicomm ISP service and get the city service.

I doubt anybody thinks this thing will last past the span of the grant which is two years.

In fact Tarik said, "If all of the ads are sold, the city would bring in $50,000, which, combined with the grant, would be enough to pay for the network for almost two years, said Tarik Abdelazim, executive assistant to the mayor."

If ALL the ads are sold AND with the grant, they would have enough to ALMOST pay for the project for two years.

What then????

What will they do when the grant is gone and all the ads are NOT sold??? Can this ever stand on it own?

If it last at all it will require user fees and the city is ill-equipped to collect them. So is Plexicomm, it does not have many small users.

This is all just more meaningless Matt Ryan hype. This will do nothing for anything or anyone and cost us $100,000.

Okay you've said your point.... about a million times!! We all know how you feel Ed. Why do you have to keep repeating yourself?

You look sooooo incredibly jealous of Tarik with all of these posts about him. We know he took the job you were hoping for, but you really have to get over it at some point. It's so tiresome and extremely annoying. You're acting like a kid. Grow up and move on with your life!

Guest Guest
Yeah right. We should NEVER try to improve our community. idiot.

You wanna make improvements?

Pave a few streets. They're tearing up our tires, shocks and suspensions.

I know paved streets are not as flashy and glam as wireless Internet.

Take care of the basics first.

Guest Guest
Okay you've said your point.... about a million times!! We all know how you feel Ed. Why do you have to keep repeating yourself?

You look sooooo incredibly jealous of Tarik with all of these posts about him. We know he took the job you were hoping for, but you really have to get over it at some point. It's so tiresome and extremely annoying. You're acting like a kid. Grow up and move on with your life!

Why would anyone be jealous of this sure failure on the part of Tarik?

This will be another monumental $100,000 flop and hurt the City of Binghamton almost as much as his poor negotiation of contracts with Civil Servants, Teamsters and firefighters and his lack of negotiation with police.

Let's keep in mind that if the voting public knew Ryan was going to appoint Tarik Abdelazim Ryan would never have been elected. Because he did apooint him Ryan will never be re-elected.

Why would anyone be jealous of this sure failure on the part of Tarik?

This will be another monumental $100,000 flop and hurt the City of Binghamton almost as much as his poor negotiation of contracts with Civil Servants, Teamsters and firefighters and his lack of negotiation with police.

Let's keep in mind that if the voting public knew Ryan was going to appoint Tarik Abdelazim Ryan would never have been elected. Because he did apooint him Ryan will never be re-elected.

Ed, you're jealous because Tarik got the position as Deputy Mayor which is what you would have if Naima won!

Guest Guest

I can tell you that people wouldn't have voted for Naima knowing that it would give your special brand of obsession some actual power <<shudder>>

Archived