Wet Basement

Guest Guest-Mets Fan-*

Guest Guest-Mets Fan-*

I am looking for a reputable contractor to fix a water problem in the basement of my house. Water drips down two walls after a heavy rain or when the snow melts, and also seeps through the floor. I also have standing water in the backyard of my house, which is noticeable after a heavy rain. I think I need to install a french drain for that problem, which may be causing the water in the basement.

Can anyone give me an estimate of what this type of job would cost (fixing the basement & installing a french drain)?

Thanks

:rolleyes:

Guest Guest

Here we go again. Anonymous poster (whose name is Pete) will say call Pete. He does great work. Others will slam contractors recommended by other posters because they are angry ex employees or competitors.

Suggestions:

1 - Call Southern Tier Homebuilders & Remodelers http://www.sthbra.com/

2 - Go to the homeshow this weekend

3 - Pay no attention to anonymous recommendations or criticisms. Registered posters, though, are more believable.

I know I'm an anonymous poster. You may not want to believe me

I have a B-Sure system in my house. I think it runs around 2-4K....I didn't put it in, it was already here when I bought the house. The sump pump has been running the past 2 days and not a drop of water inside. Same scenerio for the 2006 floods. It has a warrenty where if there is water damage after the system is installed, the company will replace what was damaged (providing the sump pump is working). A power outage is my biggest fear, although there are back up systems that you can buy.

Guest Watch out
I have a B-Sure system in my house. I think it runs around 2-4K....I didn't put it in, it was already here when I bought the house. The sump pump has been running the past 2 days and not a drop of water inside. Same scenerio for the 2006 floods. It has a warrenty where if there is water damage after the system is installed, the company will replace what was damaged (providing the sump pump is working). A power outage is my biggest fear, although there are back up systems that you can buy.

These sytems are pricey. Mid-Atlantic waterproofing came by and gave me an estimate. YEOW !!! A whopping 14 thousand for a 24 X 48 basement. It requires drilling into the foundation along the base and allowing the water on the outside of the wall into a collection trench. It then channels the water to an enclosed sump-pump arrangement. Sure that may take water from resting along the foundation but I did not like the idea of breaching the foundation by drilling. With a power failure what happens then??? I'd rather a little water than openening up a few dozen holes in my basement foundation.

If you don't have lots of water comming in there are numerous products that may work for you. I know there is a concrete epoxy that does a heck of a job. I have sump pumps but I don't even want to chance drilling the foundation to allow more water in.

I'm looking into possibly digging along my back foundation wall and laying the collection pipes on the ouside and route them to an outside pit and pump arrangement.

Looking at the OPs poblem, getting that yard drained my do the trick or at least lessen the problem.

Guest Guest one

WATER will get in if it wants to. Cheaper fixes. Gutters and drainpipes. I had new ones installed, no water in the basement since. Also be sure that the dirt around your house slopes away from the house and not toward the house. Over the years rain will wear down the slope and it needs to be built up again. If everyone in your neighborhood has a sump pump, you need one, too. They are pumping water OUT, into your basement. If you have a house on the West Side of Binghamton and say you've never had water, you're lying. It's common knowledge.

50 years of wet basement experience

Guest nothin for free

Call moran const. they did a great job for me at a reasonale price too! Plus that Timmy is'nt too bad on the eyes either! Hes sexy!

Guest contractor
WATER will get in if it wants to. Cheaper fixes. Gutters and drainpipes. I had new ones installed, no water in the basement since. Also be sure that the dirt around your house slopes away from the house and not toward the house. Over the years rain will wear down the slope and it needs to be built up again. If everyone in your neighborhood has a sump pump, you need one, too. They are pumping water OUT, into your basement. If you have a house on the West Side of Binghamton and say you've never had water, you're lying. It's common knowledge.

50 years of wet basement experience

This is excellent advice. Before you spend thousands, add new down spouts and gutters, and make sure they divert away from the house foundation (and not towards your neighbors ) If this doesn't work then go to plan b and get some estimates for drainage ideas. The STHBA is not always the answer. Alot of crooks belong to that asso. also. Do your own homework.... it will pay off. Good luck

Guest Lonehunter

I had many quotes for fixing my water problem in my basement.

I almost had the big one on the prices.

I did my home work and went to home depot and priced the material plus the stone and gravel needed for the job.

I did all the work myself. Carried 5 gallon buckets out of the basement full of stone rocks and dirt.

Worked my fanny off for 2 days and the cost with out the sump pump was around $200.00 and my time.

Cheapest estimate I had was for 5 grand.

Fun .........no but cheaper yes. Plus i knew it was done correctly.

Good luck.

Guest Guest
Call moran const. they did a great job for me at a reasonale price too! Plus that Timmy is'nt too bad on the eyes either! Hes sexy!

Thanks, anonymous poster. Could you be "Timmy" and work at moran construction? (see post #2).

Archived