Brendan O'Reilly (WBNG) vs. ESPN

Guest V

http://deadspin.com/364158/when-espn-says-...ow-high-a-cliff

We had an old friend who worked at a local television station in Illinois, and he always said the worst part of his job was when something important enough happened locally that the national network affiliate took notice. They would be demanding and gruff and generally unreasonable, acting like the local station was full of hayseeds and slack-jaws. So it didn't surprise us when a Binghamton station had a similar problem with ESPN.

So Cornell won the Ivy League, and ESPN wanted video of the clinching game from WBNG-TV in Binghamton. They were a little push about it. Meet Brendan O'Reilly, a guy unlikely to host "SportsCenter" any time soon, who wrote an open letter to ESPN.

Yes, we are happy to share the video from Cornell clinching their Ivy League title. Hope you don't mind if we go ahead and worry about our show first though. I know everyone loves the Sportscenter, with the zany commercials and all, but we're going to go ahead and edit our stuff first. We're selfish that way.

Oh, when you run our video on all your shows, please find a font size roughly one pixel in height to show that it was shot by WBNG. We want people that have 60 inch monitors to have to squint to read it. That's the goal. So in conclusion, it was just fantastic bending over backwards to get you video. It really was.

Remember the old days, when people were afraid to criticize ESPN out of fear of The Empire? Isn't it better now? You have to admit it, it is. We bet ESPN, deep down, would have to admit it too.

Dear ESPN [WBNG]

Guest Guest

Good for Brendan. I may not be a fan of WBNG news, but Brendan and Justin are first class when it comes to High School Sports. In my delaings with them they both care about the local athelete, no matter what school they represent.

That original post does not have the entire Blog entry by Brendan. ESPN was quite pushy about it, even after Brendan mentioned they have like an hour to prepare for their own 30 minute show. Here's a copy & paste directly from it.

Dear ESPN,

3/1/08

Thanks so much for calling my cellphone repeatedly on Saturday.

Not sure how you got that number, but it sure was super to chat. Say hi to Neil Everett for me. He's awesome.

Any-who, just wanted to clear up a few things.

Yes, we are happy to share the video from Cornell clinching their Ivy League title. Hope you don't mind if we go ahead and worry about our show first though.

I know everyone loves the Sportscenter, with the zany commercials and all, but we're going to go ahead and edit our stuff first.

We're selfish that way.

Second, after I send you the video roughly 15 minutes after we get the tape back from Ithaca, feel free to call again and ask me to resend it because "the video quality isn't the best." No sweat. It's not like I mentioned we're a staff of 2 putting together a 30 minute show.

I'll keep your number for when I want a different angle on all the stuff you send to WBNG.

Third, when you run our video on all your shows, please find a font size roughly one pixel in height to show that it was shot by WBNG. We want people that have 60 inch monitors to have to squint to read it. That's the goal.

So in conclusion, it was just fantastic bending over backwards to get you video. It really was.

You didn't ask, but so you know it's a size XL for my sweatshirt, J-Ho looks like he might be a medium.

And is it cool if I list you as a reference? Thanks. Your pal,

Brendan

Guest Steve
Brendon

O U T S T A N D I N G ....

Yeah if he was a 2nd grader writing the essay. Did you see some of the terminology? (eg. the sportscenter) WTF :blink:

Archived