Press and Son

Guest Guest

Well the good ol' 3 minute paper has done it again.

So I tried to look up my beloved Grandmothers obituary from a few years ago . . . . . the Press and Son website wants people to PAY using a CREDITCARD to view these archives!!!!

I always thought it was AWEFUL that you have to pay to put one in the paper!!

I know MANY other cities/papers etc., that do this service for FREE

The Press and Son is such a rip off. My goodness.

It's the Press & Sun-Bulletin. They are owned and controlled by Gannett - A large chain of newspapers and TV stations. Gannett stock is way way down the past 3 years and it isn't rebounding. (Went from $89 a share down to $35) The Knight-Rider newspaper chain is also in trouble. Newspapers have come on hard times with young people going to the internet for news and not subscribing to the daily paper.

To try and raise revenues they must be charging to view archived materials. This is a shame to charge to view archived obituaries. I know it is expensive to put an Obituary listing in the Press & Sun.

How much were they going to charge to view archived Obit's???

I believe you can go to the Broome County Library and look up old newspapers on Microfilm if you know the date.

I went to pressconnects.com and found that all articles from the last 7 days can be searched for and pulled up for FREE. Beyond 7 days they want to charge. (They state that all articles are text only and contain no photos).

Press & Sun-Bulletin Archives Pricing Options

To allow for greater flexibility and ease of use, we now offer article packs, in addition to the single-article purchase option. You will be offered payment options only after you select to download the full-text of any article.

Single-article purchase - $2.95

Future purchases will require a separate charge to your credit card.

24-hour pass, 10 articles - $9.95 (65% discount)

3-article pack - $6.95 (20% discount)

Good for one week from purchase.

10-article pack - $21.95 (25% discount)

Good for one month from purchase.

25-article pack - $49.95 (30% discount)

40-article pack - $79.95

Doing long-term research?

500-article pack - $995 (33% discount)

Good for one year from purchase.

1,000-article pack - $1,995 (33% discount)

Good for one year from purchase.

Please note that these pricing packages are sold for use by the credit card holder only. These pricing packages are not intended for use in institutions such as schools, colleges, or libraries. We do offer special rates for educational organizations, so please contact us at sales@newsbank.com.

You will be asked for your credit card information as part of the account setup process.

Guest MediaSlob.com

Not to mention they are the printers of the Broome News & Shopper. A mini-paper that for the first time in a year I did not receive on Friday. A results of www.MediaSlob.com Page 2??? Perhaps.

funny a wedding anouncment is free yet obituarys cost hundreds of dollars got to love the psb

SO TRUE AND YET....NOT FUNNY...THEY ARE CAPITALIZING ON TRAGEDY.

Guest Toby B. Goodnog
It's the Press & Sun-Bulletin. They are owned and controlled by Gannett - A large chain of newspapers and TV stations. Gannett stock is way way down the past 3 years and it isn't rebounding. (Went from $89 a share down to $35) The Knight-Rider newspaper chain is also in trouble. Newspapers have come on hard times with young people going to the internet for news and not subscribing to the daily paper.

To try and raise revenues they must be charging to view archived materials. This is a shame to charge to view archived obituaries. I know it is expensive to put an Obituary listing in the Press & Sun.

How much were they going to charge to view archived Obit's???

I believe you can go to the Broome County Library and look up old newspapers on Microfilm if you know the date.

The P&SB and Gannett are going down the toliet. Yheir circulation is way down. It occurred because they continue to hire loosers such as Stovall, Hyland (now gone), that Jennifer Micale broad who's a bigger loser than Hyland. Stovall just gets moved around by Gannett every 4 or 5 years because he's a terrible editor and Gannett is afraid to fire him for obvious reasons. Rossie's been there forever but his output is only liberal trash . The entire worthless paper can be read in 10 minutes. They paper and it's employees are garbage.

funny a wedding anouncment is free yet obituarys cost hundreds of dollars got to love the psb

Try again freakshow..my kid just had his wedding announcement put in the paper and it cost 15 bucks...your information is wrong. Nothing is free anymore..especially at the PS&B :angry:

In today’s P&SB there is a “Doer’s Profile” about some negro women named Chippella Lewis from Queens. What has she done to get her profile in the paper? Not much. According to her her aspirations are: “I’m going to work with deaf children, write a few books and open a Christian pre-school.” She’s done nothing except to have 4 kids, probably with multiple partners, and she is not married. You want to bet who paid for and is still paying for those kids. She has no steady job. She named one of her kids “King Ezekiel.” This is what a newspaper becomes when an affirmative action editor is put in charge. The P&SB is

ridiculous.

Our son was killed 2 years ago. My ex would not put it in the paper because it was to costly. We (Mrs. and I) paid 387.32 for three days.

Our Daughter came home last Jan ( 2007 ) and told us she was getting married in November ( she's 31 ). Great we thought, finally. She asked if we could do the paper thing. Sure, why not. Guess what ? It was free, picture included.

Say what ? Take from those who lost a loved one, give to those getting hitched ? Makes me wonder. None the less, don't get paper here at home anymore, maybe will buy once every 4 or 5 months from store, but they can KMA, cheese and all.

Guest zippy the pinhead
ooops.....sorry. I thought this thread was about Pete Maravich and his dad.

Me too, I think it was the "son" part. Press was Dad and Pistol the "son". Instead, it's just the usual crybaby stuff again, oh woe is me because the internet has driven up newspaper prices, by reducing paying subscribers, so now they have to be inventive to make more money. :wacko:

The P&SB and Gannett are going down the toliet. Yheir circulation is way down. It occurred because they continue to hire loosers such as Stovall, Hyland (now gone), that Jennifer Micale broad who's a bigger loser than Hyland. Stovall just gets moved around by Gannett every 4 or 5 years because he's a terrible editor and Gannett is afraid to fire him for obvious reasons. Rossie's been there forever but his output is only liberal trash . The entire worthless paper can be read in 10 minutes. They paper and it's employees are garbage.

All newspaper subscriptions as well as News magazines are soon to be something of the past. Who wants to wait a day for their news? With the internet and many tv news outlets, you get up to the minute coverage of what's going on around you. With a newspaper, you get the morning news, by noon it's all outdated anyways. All newspapers are only good for the crossword puzzles, coupons, or to wrap fish. As we move into the 21 Century, media coverage of the news is up to the minute. Sports is instantantaneously broadcasted on a ticker on ESPN all day long, and if the story is big enough, they cut into their regularily scheduled programs, and with newspapers by the time you get the news it's hours or even a day late. Unfortunately, newpapers will soon be a thing of the past, it isn't just the Press and Sun Bulletin, but all newspapers. So my advice is to dump any stock you may have in any newspaper, there all dead horses.

Archived