Any hybrid drivers on this site?

Cat's Eye

Interesting thread. Can't disagree with any of the posters.

I'm the poster who switched from a full size Chevy van to a Prius and could save around $4,000 compared to the van. I'm not justifying a hybrid based on that comparison but I was interested that this switch could save that much gas. I do understand that I don't have the same capacities for passengers & cargo but the van became overkill for me as my family needs changed.

Other posters are right in comparing a hybrid cost to the cost of a conventionally powered similarly sized high mileage vehicle. Using an average of 45 mpg for a Prius in all driving conditions should be fairly close. I'm not sure that using 35 mpg for a Camry would be an average. I'm sure it is a good estimate for highway mileage but not sure it would be that high for general average driving (combined city, highway, stop start etc.).

Another reason why I pulled the plug to buy a Prius was that gas prices will not be going down in the future. There will be short term ups and downs but the big long-term trend is for our gas prices to approach the costs that Europeans are paying for gas now. I understand that the Europeans have addressed that issue by driving a high percentage of small diesel powered vehicles. Diesels have a difficult challenge in the US for various and complicated reasons, environmental being one. If an assumed gas price increase is factored into the savings calculations for a hybrid, the savings accrue much faster.

Many reasons why I chose the Prius. Some do not make sense financially.

Ooops! I said Camry above. Previous poster used a Corolla comparison. My point is still the same. 35 mpg would be highway, might not be average.

Archived