Drugs in Binghamton... Solution?

Guest TwoCents

Guest TwoCents

Drugs in Binghamton...solution?

Binghamton is becoming a thriving metropolis for drug activity. We are loosing our neighborhoods and it seems like no one is doing anything about it. Should we just put everyone in jail and in order to get out make them prove that they are not nor have ever been involved with illegal drugs? Would too many of us loose our freedom? Is the current system effective? Is it fair?

The problem is far more complicated than that however. The incredible "economy" that is created by drug activity is unbelievable and very difficult to compensate for. At the very top we are talking about very brilliant, well-funded "business" people who run a sophisticated organization that is difficult to penetrate. Even when law enforcement is successful the rewards are so overwhelming that is only a matter of time before two, three, even five new large organizations appear. Some could argue that law enforcement "busts" actually cause expansion in the drug trade. Next in line we have dealers. There are all different levels and some of these people are too very smart. They are smart enough to want a piece of the American dream and they are not willing to work for minimum wage and be a martyr to the system, swept up in "survival" and never having anything to show for their hard labors.

Let's be very honest here; there is absolutely no such things as a drug "PUSHER". We have been and probably always will be a nation of drug addicts. From prescriptions drugs, alcohol, tobacco, cocaine in the early 20th century, opium in the 19th century, and so on... we are a nation of drug feigns! People want drugs and will seek them out at any cost and this creates a huge economy. The simple solution is to legalize drugs. Just admit defeat, like we did with prohibition, and give the people who "own" this country what they want and stop putting them in jail for it. But... that's too simple. The legalization of drugs would eliminate the "organized" crime economy but it would wipe out and even bigger economic system.

It's really all by design. It is a self perpetuating economic cycle: the government doesn't want to eliminate illegal drugs in this country. They impact on the attorneys (8 out of 10 of all criminal offenses are drug related), law enforcement personnel, private jails, jail construction, all the federally funded "drug" programs, half of the coast guards budget and the list goes on and on.

If you don't want drugs in your community then take your country back and let your elected officials know that you want drugs legalized and economic stimulus packages for economically disenfranchised people who are too intelligent to work for minimum wage. Chances are they didn't have the same opportunities that you and I did early in life. Like a very famous poet once concluded, "...instead of a war on drugs, let's have a war on poverty"! Let's get out of the Middle East, let's get out of sticking our noise in every war on the planet, let’s stop spending so much on bombs, and let's use all of those resources on fighting poverty. I'll bet two generations from know, if we eliminate poverty in this country, most people won't know what a lawyer is and nobody will want drugs no matter how legal and available.

That's my two cents! What do you think?

Guest Guest

Binghamton is becoming a thriving metropolis for drug activity. We are loosing our neighborhoods and it seems like no one is doing anything about it. Should we just put everyone in jail and in order to get out make them prove that they are not nor have ever been involved with illegal drugs? Would too many of us loose our freedom? Is the current system effective? Is it fair?

The problem is far more complicated than that however. The incredible "economy" that is created by drug activity is unbelievable and very difficult to compensate for. At the very top we are talking about very brilliant, well-funded "business" people who run a sophisticated organization that is difficult to penetrate. Even when law enforcement is successful the rewards are so overwhelming that is only a matter of time before two, three, even five new large organizations appear. Some could argue that law enforcement "busts" actually cause expansion in the drug trade. Next in line we have dealers. There are all different levels and some of these people are too very smart. They are smart enough to want a piece of the American dream and they are not willing to work for minimum wage and be a martyr to the system, swept up in "survival" and never having anything to show for their hard labors.

Let's be very honest here; there is absolutely no such things as a drug "PUSHER". We have been and probably always will be a nation of drug addicts. From prescriptions drugs, alcohol, tobacco, cocaine in the early 20th century, opium in the 19th century, and so on... we are a nation of drug feigns! People want drugs and will seek them out at any cost and this creates a huge economy. The simple solution is to legalize drugs. Just admit defeat, like we did with prohibition, and give the people who "own" this country what they want and stop putting them in jail for it. But... that's too simple. The legalization of drugs would eliminate the "organized" crime economy but it would wipe out and even bigger economic system.

It's really all by design. It is a self perpetuating economic cycle: the government doesn't want to eliminate illegal drugs in this country. They impact on the attorneys (8 out of 10 of all criminal offenses are drug related), law enforcement personnel, private jails, jail construction, all the federally funded "drug" programs, half of the coast guards budget and the list goes on and on.

If you don't want drugs in your community then take your country back and let your elected officials know that you want drugs legalized and economic stimulus packages for economically disenfranchised people who are too intelligent to work for minimum wage. Chances are they didn't have the same opportunities that you and I did early in life. Like a very famous poet once concluded, "...instead of a war on drugs, let's have a war on poverty"! Let's get out of the Middle East, let's get out of sticking our noise in every war on the planet, let’s stop spending so much on bombs, and let's use all of those resources on fighting poverty. I'll bet two generations from know, if we eliminate poverty in this country, most people won't know what a lawyer is and nobody will want drugs no matter how legal and available.

The solution is simple.

Broome should declare marstial law, put a curfew in effect for some areas where there is high drug activity, hire some Blackwater mercs to patrol the streets, and give the the okay to shoot on sight.

Guest blackwater
The solution is simple.

Broome should declare marstial law, put a curfew in effect for some areas where there is high drug activity, hire some Blackwater mercs to patrol the streets, and give the the okay to shoot on sight.

where do i apply for the job?

The solution is simple.

the solution is simple. be a parent to your kids.

Guest Guest
the solution is simple. be a parent to your kids.

That's good.

It doesn't address the problem, though, because not all parents will live up their responsibility.

The only way I see the downward spiral slowing down or stopping around here is a grassroots movement. Something like the Guardian Angels. People are going to have to get fed up to the point that they decide to take action. Waiting for the PD's and Justice systems to make it better is a waste of time. They will only do as we tell them we want done, but we have to do it very loudly and clearly.

A group of fed-up citizens applying for, and getting a GA Chapter in Bing and/or JC and Endicott is, unfortunately, one of the few things our local law and order will hear.

I've felt this way for a few years now. It's a matter of time.

Personally, I don't think we, as a community are ready yet. I think it will have to get a lot worse before someone starts the ball rolling and it gather momentum.

I'm paying attention, though, and I'll be the first one to call for a meeting to petition the GA for their help.

I recall reading not long ago that Albany now has a chapter and Rochester had applied for one.

That's good.

It doesn't address the problem, though, because not all parents will live up their responsibility.

The only way I see the downward spiral slowing down or stopping around here is a grassroots movement. Something like the Guardian Angels. People are going to have to get fed up to the point that they decide to take action. Waiting for the PD's and Justice systems to make it better is a waste of time. They will only do as we tell them we want done, but we have to do it very loudly and clearly.

A group of fed-up citizens applying for, and getting a GA Chapter in Bing and/or JC and Endicott is, unfortunately, one of the few things our local law and order will hear.

I've felt this way for a few years now. It's a matter of time.

Personally, I don't think we, as a community are ready yet. I think it will have to get a lot worse before someone starts the ball rolling and it gather momentum.

I'm paying attention, though, and I'll be the first one to call for a meeting to petition the GA for their help.

I recall reading not long ago that Albany now has a chapter and Rochester had applied for one.

i guess you don't get it. eradication and prohibition have never decreased drug use. that's attacking the problem butt backwards. the problem is why so many people feel the need to leave reality. if that is addressed and less people want drugs, the market will dry up. there would be no drug dealers without drug users. they just fill a need. will it work for everyone? no. it's a free country. if you want to stop the street voilence just legalize drugs and license it. street voilence gone immediatley. addicts pay far less and don't have to rob the 7/11. jails are emptied of non-voilent people. perfect system? nope. only hope we have? yup. let's try and stop the focus on drugs and concentrate on people. the guardian angels? you're kidding, right?

Guest Guest
i guess you don't get it. eradication and prohibition have never decreased drug use. that's attacking the problem butt backwards. the problem is why so many people feel the need to leave reality. if that is addressed and less people want drugs, the market will dry up. there would be no drug dealers without drug users. they just fill a need. will it work for everyone? no. it's a free country. if you want to stop the street voilence just legalize drugs and license it. street voilence gone immediatley. addicts pay far less and don't have to rob the 7/11. jails are emptied of non-voilent people. perfect system? nope. only hope we have? yup. let's try and stop the focus on drugs and concentrate on people. the guardian angels? you're kidding, right?

I'm not kidding.

Legalizing drugs is never going to happen. Certainly not for a looooooooong time.

A group of concerned, organized adults patrolling our streets? What is there about that that makes you think I'm kidding?

I'm not kidding.

Legalizing drugs is never going to happen. Certainly not for a looooooooong time.

A group of concerned, organized adults patrolling our streets? What is there about that that makes you think I'm kidding?

most street criminals are armed. the guardian angels won't last long. it does not address the cause of drug dealers, which is drug users. you can fill every street with guardian angels and if the user wants it bad enough they will find a way to get it. stop wasting money and time on drugs and focus on the user. the reason we don't do it is because it's hard and it will take time. we are the instant gratification society. simpleton approaches won't help. the guardian angels could help with street crime, but would have no impact on the drug problem whatsoever.

Guest Guest
most street criminals are armed. the guardian angels won't last long. it does not address the cause of drug dealers, which is drug users. you can fill every street with guardian angels and if the user wants it bad enough they will find a way to get it. stop wasting money and time on drugs and focus on the user. the reason we don't do it is because it's hard and it will take time. we are the instant gratification society. simpleton approaches won't help. the guardian angels could help with street crime, but would have no impact on the drug problem whatsoever.

You do know how long the GA have been around, right? they didn't just show up 10 years ago.

So tell me how street crime and drug use are not connected.

You do know how long the GA have been around, right? they didn't just show up 10 years ago.

So tell me how street crime and drug use are not connected.

i'll walk you through it. the guardian angels do not go after drug dealers, nor have they ever. there sole purpose is to deter muggings, assaults, etc... they have never went after drug dealers. if they did, they would be dead. at best they are a feel good band aid to a gigantic wound.

you mention they have been around awhile. that is true. what impact have they had on street crime and drug use and voilence? i'll help you, NONE. look at the stats. no difference at all except some false sense of security.

you are confused about the drug problem. most people who use drugs don't committ street crimes. MANY DO. those people have crossed over from drug user to dangerous criminal. many other people committ crimes on the street perfectly sober. it's called anti-social behavior and is not caused by drugs. i fully agree that this type of street crime could be helped by the angels, but not alot.

the "drug" street crime that i'm trying to explain to you is gang and dealer crime. that's a whole different story. if you're on their turf, they kill you. if you are a sales competitor, you are dead. this is the most threatening crime possible because these people kill at the drop of a hat. look at all the homocides in this area. most are drug related. you're telling me the guardian angels will help in that situation? i think not. the reason i said one way to stop the gang and dealer voilence was to legalize it is because that voilence will disappear quickly. there is no more profit for them to sell drugs if it is sold by busineses. no more gang and dealer voilence about drugs.

i don't think drugs should be legalized just so people can use them. i highly discourage any drug use. but i think for right now we need to make it safe to go outside at night. that will bring neighbors together again. that helps every problem. then empty the jails of non-voilent drug offenders, unless they sold to kids.

that comes to the real issue. we have to realize that with the best law enforcement in the world to clean up the streets, it doesn't address the real drug problem. that is the people who use them. once the streets are safe we can do a full assault on trying to understand why people cannot live in reality. i know there are casual users and addicts. somehow as a society we need to try and stop kids before they start. existing programs are not effective. we have to tell addicts that you can change, but you need to ask for help. we also have to realize that people make their own decisions and the results are horrible. it's reality. let's take all the eradication, customs and police money and take on drugs where it matters most, the people that could be or are ruining their lives. it's worth the investment. now do you see why i say the real drug problem can't be solved criminally? it is a health issue. and yes, if someone crosses the line into real crime, lock em up.

Guest Guest
You make a very good point.

He sure does. We will not do what it takes to stop it so legalize it.

The pedophiles will want inclusion in that idea is that alright?

Legalize bank robbery and you got my vote.

Guest Guest
i'll walk you through it. the guardian angels do not go after drug dealers, nor have they ever. there sole purpose is to deter muggings, assaults, etc... they have never went after drug dealers. if they did, they would be dead. at best they are a feel good band aid to a gigantic wound.

you mention they have been around awhile. that is true. what impact have they had on street crime and drug use and voilence? i'll help you, NONE. look at the stats. no difference at all except some false sense of security.

you are confused about the drug problem. most people who use drugs don't committ street crimes. MANY DO. those people have crossed over from drug user to dangerous criminal. many other people committ crimes on the street perfectly sober. it's called anti-social behavior and is not caused by drugs. i fully agree that this type of street crime could be helped by the angels, but not alot.

the "drug" street crime that i'm trying to explain to you is gang and dealer crime. that's a whole different story. if you're on their turf, they kill you. if you are a sales competitor, you are dead. this is the most threatening crime possible because these people kill at the drop of a hat. look at all the homocides in this area. most are drug related. you're telling me the guardian angels will help in that situation? i think not. the reason i said one way to stop the gang and dealer voilence was to legalize it is because that voilence will disappear quickly. there is no more profit for them to sell drugs if it is sold by busineses. no more gang and dealer voilence about drugs.

i don't think drugs should be legalized just so people can use them. i highly discourage any drug use. but i think for right now we need to make it safe to go outside at night. that will bring neighbors together again. that helps every problem. then empty the jails of non-voilent drug offenders, unless they sold to kids.

that comes to the real issue. we have to realize that with the best law enforcement in the world to clean up the streets, it doesn't address the real drug problem. that is the people who use them. once the streets are safe we can do a full assault on trying to understand why people cannot live in reality. i know there are casual users and addicts. somehow as a society we need to try and stop kids before they start. existing programs are not effective. we have to tell addicts that you can change, but you need to ask for help. we also have to realize that people make their own decisions and the results are horrible. it's reality. let's take all the eradication, customs and police money and take on drugs where it matters most, the people that could be or are ruining their lives. it's worth the investment. now do you see why i say the real drug problem can't be solved criminally? it is a health issue. and yes, if someone crosses the line into real crime, lock em up.

I'm having a hard time believing that druggies are going to kill other druggies out on the streets if there are more citizens out walking around. Seems to me that they'd be less likely to commit crimes if they can be seen by witnesses.

But then, hey, you're the expert here. You seem to know that gangs don't commit home invasions, car jackings, muggings, burglaries, drive by shootings and other crimes.

Guest Guest
What's the point of a curfew? Just as many drug deals happen during the daytime.

That's right! People want their drugs....let them have 'em. It's not the job of the governmnet to make decisions for how people live their lives. People want drugs and they get them. All the rest is a bunch a smoke and mirrors to confuse people and justify outragous spending. Wake-up, idiot!

Guest Guest
What's the point of a curfew? Just as many drug deals happen during the daytime.

Maybe YOU sell during the day, but most people don't buy during the day.

Who's your market...Soccer Moms buying vicodin?

Yes I do believe drugs in Binghamton is a solution to Social Problems! Cha Ching B)

I'm having a hard time believing that druggies are going to kill other druggies out on the streets if there are more citizens out walking around. Seems to me that they'd be less likely to commit crimes if they can be seen by witnesses.

But then, hey, you're the expert here. You seem to know that gangs don't commit home invasions, car jackings, muggings, burglaries, drive by shootings and other crimes.

That is the over riding tenet of the Guardian Angels. They do not solve the problems, they organize the neighborhoods who have the will to clean things up. When you depend on "others" to do what you know needs done you will be disappointed.

That is the over riding tenet of the Guardian Angels. They do not solve the problems, they organize the neighborhoods who have the will to clean things up. When you depend on "others" to do what you know needs done you will be disappointed.

DOUBLE POST DELETED

Archived