Ways to save money?

Guest Benni Booboo

Guest Benni Booboo

As a college educated single mom working for a small non-profit for low pay, I have been working on ways to cut back on expenses while saving money. Many of these changes are also good for the environment. Here are my changes:

* All electric appliances are hooked up to electric strips. When we leave for the day they are all turned off. The only things left on during the day are the refrigerator, the fish tank and the cable boxes. Cable is a luxury, this wil be one area to cut back if necessary.

* We plan our trips. No backtracking or making unnecessary trips. Fortunately, I live in the city. I budget one tank of gas for the week and look for lower gas prices.

* My thermostat is programmed at 62 when gone/sleeping and 65 during home/waking hours.

* I have been decluttering and selling lots of stuff on bartercycle and craigslist. One mans junk, another mans treasure.

* I shop more at Aldi's for savings and also have started clipping coupons. St. Patricks Day dinner cost me $9.63. (4 lb Cornbeef $5.56, baby carrots $.79, potatoes 10 lb bag $2.49, cabbage $.79)

* I freeze all leftovers and use for lunches rather than buying lunch daily. I also have a foodsaver which is great for this purpose.

* I recycle more now than I ever have. I return our bottles for the nickel now where as before I would just throw them out. Also by recycling, I use less green bags.

* I spend no change. If the bill is $8.02 I give them $9 and put the change in a 5 gallon water jug. (I did this for 2 years and had $1600 saved)

* I took myself off of the NYSEG budget and read my meter so there are no estimated costs.

* Shop around for the best insurance rates and change your insurance if necessary. I use Allstate, Kevin Rogers on Main Street and it does well for my family.

* I have cut my cleaning supplies in half. I find no need for all of the different name brand cleaners for all different reasons. Borax is amazing and natural, which equals better for my family and it costs just a couple of dollars a box.

Anyone else have sugestions to help each other?

Guest Guest
As a college educated single mom working for a small non-profit for low pay, I have been working on ways to cut back on expenses while saving money. Many of these changes are also good for the environment. Here are my changes:

* All electric appliances are hooked up to electric strips. When we leave for the day they are all turned off. The only things left on during the day are the refrigerator, the fish tank and the cable boxes. Cable is a luxury, this wil be one area to cut back if necessary.

* We plan our trips. No backtracking or making unnecessary trips. Fortunately, I live in the city. I budget one tank of gas for the week and look for lower gas prices.

* My thermostat is programmed at 62 when gone/sleeping and 65 during home/waking hours.

* I have been decluttering and selling lots of stuff on bartercycle and craigslist. One mans junk, another mans treasure.

* I shop more at Aldi's for savings and also have started clipping coupons. St. Patricks Day dinner cost me $9.63. (4 lb Cornbeef $5.56, baby carrots $.79, potatoes 10 lb bag $2.49, cabbage $.79)

* I freeze all leftovers and use for lunches rather than buying lunch daily. I also have a foodsaver which is great for this purpose.

* I recycle more now than I ever have. I return our bottles for the nickel now where as before I would just throw them out. Also by recycling, I use less green bags.

* I spend no change. If the bill is $8.02 I give them $9 and put the change in a 5 gallon water jug. (I did this for 2 years and had $1600 saved)

* I took myself off of the NYSEG budget and read my meter so there are no estimated costs.

* Shop around for the best insurance rates and change your insurance if necessary. I use Allstate, Kevin Rogers on Main Street and it does well for my family.

* I have cut my cleaning supplies in half. I find no need for all of the different name brand cleaners for all different reasons. Borax is amazing and natural, which equals better for my family and it costs just a couple of dollars a box.

Anyone else have sugestions to help each other?

thanks for the heads up KEVIN. bu the way, allstate is one of the most expensive companies in the market place.

Guest Benni Booboo

Out of my whole post, all you can comment on is that you think I am Kevin. I just looked and I have breasts and a vagina and my name is certainly not Kevin. If you have nothing beneficial to add to this post, go start your own.

Guest Guest

I have cut my cleaning supplies in half. I find no need for all of the different name brand cleaners for all different reasons.

It's been obvious to me that the glut of "specialty" cleaners on grocery shelves is nothing more than creative marketing.

Advertisers have figured a way to convince non-thinking, huge SUV driving Soccer Moms that they need one cleaner for their kitchen floors and something different for their bathtubs and toilets.

Duh.

No one has any suggestions or tips to share?

Benni - I am a long time prowler of thrift shops for clothing. I have scored many, many incredible bargains on designer labels. I rarely, if ever, pay full price for anything. One plus is that in many cases, the purchases made help fund programs and aid in "recycling" items. Also, instead of dry cleaning, I take a chance and wash things in the machine, using a little common sense on the proper settings. Even suede can go in the machine if you do it right. I also sell things on Ebay occasionally and stash the cash and save for something I want instead of charging it and paying interest on the cards.

Archived