John Adams

Guest Abagail

Guest Abagail

Anyone catch the HBO series on John Adams last night?

Amazing. They really did this one right and it's a must see. Check it out and it's almost worth subscribing to HBO for the month just to watch it. David McCullough's book just went to the top of my "must read" list after last night.

Guest Guest

It was a little slow the first hour but well well worth the watch.

We do not realize or remember that signing the Declaration of Independence was an act of treason and could well have been the signing their own death warrant.

I think that the show brings history alive, (hey John Adams, Ben Franklin etc were, in the end, only men too). It helps us remember that, irregardless of what Obama's 'pastor' says (sorry, couldn't resist), this country was founded by GOOD DECENT MORAL men who put the entire world on a course of human dignity and rights - and they, in a very very real way, set the stage for the emancipation of the slaves as well.

I don't give a flying shyte what anyone else thinks, I am DAMN proud to be an American.

Have we made mistakes - god, too many to count - but we are still, at least for now, the GREATEST country in the world by far and it is far past high time for us to start remembering that and stop kicking ourselves in the teeth constantly.

End of my flag waving for the day.

Amazing. They really did this one right and it's a must see. Check it out and it's almost worth subscribing to HBO for the month just to watch it. David McCullough's book just went to the top of my "must read" list after last night.

That's what I did when From the Earth to the Moon debuted on HBO in the late 90s. Subscribed just for that month and recorded all at SP. One of the best such series ever, if not the best.

As for John Adams, I'll likely rent the DVDs when they come out in a year. (it's being raved about on IMDB.com)

How many episodes of it are in the series?

Wolf

Guest eLlOcuteR
It was a little slow the first hour but well well worth the watch.

We do not realize or remember that signing the Declaration of Independence was an act of treason and could well have been the signing their own death warrant.

I think that the show brings history alive, (hey John Adams, Ben Franklin etc were, in the end, only men too). It helps us remember that, irregardless of what Obama's 'pastor' says (sorry, couldn't resist), this country was founded by GOOD DECENT MORAL men who put the entire world on a course of human dignity and rights - and they, in a very very real way, set the stage for the emancipation of the slaves as well.

I don't give a flying shyte what anyone else thinks, I am DAMN proud to be an American.

Have we made mistakes - god, too many to count - but we are still, at least for now, the GREATEST country in the world by far and it is far past high time for us to start remembering that and stop kicking ourselves in the teeth constantly.

End of my flag waving for the day.

it was a good show but the accents were almost intolerable..especially that one guy..was he supposed to be scottish? English? Irish? He was the guy who was against Adams Idea for the Independence of the colonies..

Guest Guest
it was a good show but the accents were almost intolerable..especially that one guy..was he supposed to be scottish? English? Irish? He was the guy who was against Adams Idea for the Independence of the colonies..

It's called being realistic. That's how the dialect was back then and just one of the many reasons it is being raved about was so masterfully done. Hardly intolerable at all. Made it that much better. Do you really think people in colonial times spoke like we do today?

Guest Guest
That's what I did when From the Earth to the Moon debuted on HBO in the late 90s. Subscribed just for that month and recorded all at SP. One of the best such series ever, if not the best.

As for John Adams, I'll likely rent the DVDs when they come out in a year. (it's being raved about on IMDB.com)

How many episodes of it are in the series?

Wolf

7 parts Wolf

Here check out HBO's trailer site for it. Good stuff and this will give you a better idea.

http://www.hbo.com/films/johnadams/?ntrack...feat_main_image

Guest Guest
It's called being realistic. That's how the dialect was back then

Got a lot of MP3s from 1776 do you?

How would anyone today know how people's accents sounded back then?

Guest simple and free

Yes we watched John Adams last night. It is quite realistic. The tar and feathering was a bit much for me.

I really like Abagail; she is a smart decisive woman. Especially going ahead with the "vaccine".

The actor that plays George Washington is interesting. Wasn't he also on Hill Street Blues?

Guest John A. Cordisco

Also saw it as well. VERY realistic. John Adams is really a forgotten founding father in a lot of ways. Can't wait for the 3rd part on sunday.

John Cordisco

Guest Guest

Everything in McCoulloughs book suggests that he was overshadowed in that era in many ways but Jefferson and Washington.

Excellent read and excellent show thus far btw!

Guest Guest

Interesting that there are numerous posts about a bunch of kids protesting but this thread gets buried....It sure looks like to me that most of our illustrious posters could really really use a look see at this show...and understand that our forefathers put their homes, their livelyhoods, their familes and literally their lives on the line so the kids of today would have the right to protest - and not be hung for it.

This series should be required viewing for every high school history student. Period. It is about time they realized how brave and decent and moral these men - and women - were.

Guest Guest

What do you think Adams would think of the concept of the unitary executive?

How about spending billions of dollars a year more than the country takes in?

How about fighting in the Middle East against a country that was no threat to the US?

Think they would support waterboarding?

The series should be mandatory viewing for all government officials.

This is very interesting for me John Dickinson was an ancestor on my Mothers side of the family. We knew he had battles with John Adams, coming to blows at times. I did not realize he was more pro British. They did put their necks out and their life's on the line. But they were rewarded after the revolution. I was born on some of the land given to John Dickinson Laurel Run PA. I know he was given a lot of land but do not know how much. Yes this is a good series. And they are most likely rolling in their graves over what has become of our country. I do not believe that John Dickinson name appears on the declaration as he sent someone in his stead to sign it and that person signed his own name. My grand mother had many letters that were written by Dickinson and many to Washington. As well as many other artifacts. My cousins took over my Grandmothers home and told the rest of the family they donated everything to local libraries. My older brother looked into it before his death and discovered they sold everything.Oh well when it comes to money it can bring out the worst in people.

Archived